Ford Ka anyone have any experience of them?

(26 Posts)

I need a little run around for work (new job) and have come across a Ford Ka hatchback, 2004 for a decent price. It's at a dealers local to me.

I did fancy a Getz or Micra but am wondering if it's worth thinking about the Ka? It isn't the family car, that's our Passat. So will just be for short journeys for me. I'm not a very experienced driver as really don't like it much. Have just started driving again after years.

Any advice appreciated.

Gruntfuttocks Fri 31-May-13 00:24:01

We had two Kas for ages - good little cars for round town run-abouts. I'd say go for it!

Monty27 Fri 31-May-13 00:25:59

Yes, I have one, not much room for a big shop but it's a great wee run around and very economical.

Thanks won't be doing any shopping in it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Monty27 Fri 31-May-13 01:14:30

smile

Am hoping dp's up in time (nightshift) to take me over to see it? We're away until Sunday and they're not open then. There's a Micra and a Getz that may still be in other dealers we may look at too?

I fancy the Ka though for some reason? I'm no car expert but think it'll be suitable for my needs? If I have to transport my client then there'd be enough room for them. The job's a support worker and not sure if they'll let me do that yet, will probably need special insurance?

Monty27 Fri 31-May-13 12:08:39

Mine is an aubergine colour, I like it smile

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 31-May-13 12:16:55

I loved my Ka. It's been gone about 9 years and I still miss itconfused

It was a really reliable car, very nippy and lovely to drive. We managed with ds1 no problem but had to get rid when ds2 came along.

We switched to a Vauxhall vectra which gave us nothing but trouble and now we've gone back to Ford, a Galaxy though, just a bit biggerwink

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 31-May-13 12:23:18

New shape or old? We have experience of both, dd had an older KA and has recently traded it for a new shape, ds has only had the new shape. Both of them love their KAs.

Thanks. It's 2004 so not sure if it's new shape or old?

Doyou we got a Vectra and didn't like it at all. Dp's Passat is much better, great on fuel too. Although he does miss his old Astra, that was a fantastic car wish we'd kept it.

This is it. Is that a good deal?

Monty27 Fri 31-May-13 13:01:36

Compare the price on Gumtree/ebay or somewhere. Mine is a T reg but exdp did a business deal on it so I can't say how much he would have paid for it.

Thanks I'll do that.

Just rang them, it's gone sad He sounded genuine though didn't try to push anything else on me so may see what they have in the near future as not in a mega rush.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 31-May-13 13:13:48

Old shape, like DD's first car. It was a great little run-around. Check it well for rust though, they are notorious for rusting.

Monty27 Fri 31-May-13 13:15:43

Argh, what a shame sad

To be honest, I didn't like to say, but I thought it was a wee bit pricey which is why I suggested comparing the price. Have a look at those sites as I really can't be sure.

ClaresAvonRecruitment Fri 31-May-13 13:19:09

I loved my 53 reg ka, so I then moved on to a 55 sport ka... Both were for work, and loved them dearly... Had to sell to just run one car as the family car spent most of its time on the drive unused so didn't make sense to have the two..... I would recommend the ka 100% smile

JumpingJackSprat Fri 31-May-13 13:22:29

I loved mine i had an r reg which was horribly rusty underneath so have a good poke round it before buying. I bought a new one in that shape in 06 to replace it, perfect little run around very nippy and comfortable. the 1300cc give it a bit of oomph when required. you should be able to get them for a decent price. the new shape is horrible imo, the interior feels plasticky and flimsy.

I've found another one for £895 that's a bit further away.

Ahh so the old shape is better thanks. This one's 2004 and still there I just rang.

spacegirl81 Fri 31-May-13 13:36:53

I had a lovely little blue ka for years; only had to swap as couldn't get son in and out of back seat very well. Loved it though; great little run a round town car grin

I had one & it was a great little car, economical to drive, easy to park. I only got rid of it when I got pregnant as it didn't seem very baby friendly.

More good news, I'll have to get one now. I think it'll be ideal.

I loved my little KA but eventually got a focus instead as I did a lot of driving and didn't want to be in a crash in a tiny car.

AKAK81 Fri 31-May-13 15:11:50

I'll echo the point about rust - its a real killer on these. Engine is from the 1960s and is pretty robust although one of the most gutless things I've ever driven - fine round town though. Common issues I believe are valvetrain wear so it will sound very tappetty and spark plugs breaking off in the head when being changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now