Volkswagen Up?

(17 Posts)
michaelh Tue 04-Jun-13 21:17:57

I think you'll find 40 mile commutes in an Up a bit of a pain. That said I've never driven one and they are getting fabulous reviews. Have a look at the new Panda 4WD. That is getting a very good press, is roomier than the Up! I think and if you put winter tyres on it will be able to cope with anything Scotland can throw at it.

Try an Audi a1. They are fab and super economical.

Lilymaid Tue 04-Jun-13 19:57:28

Up is one of the new generation of smaller engines (you will find similar on larger cars such as the Fiesta) with 3 cylinders - perhaps that's the reason it sounded a bit like a lawnmower. At the moment I want a car that will be good for travelling across the country (DCs are grown up now and I'm enjoying the freedom) rather than feeling I have a "supermarket car" and have to borrow DH's car to be comfortable for longer distances. It is the same car as the Skoda and the SEAT, so you can choose which version you prefer - we happen to live closest to a VW dealer so test drove the Up.

StickEmUpPunk Mon 03-Jun-13 18:53:12

Interesting lily. Ive got an arosa. Up is meant to be the new version.

Ie, up, mii and citigo, is arosa and lupo.

I find with mine that its slow from standing too.
I think that just from being a 1 litre. Is that the Up engine?

They are pootling cars.

Lilymaid Thu 30-May-13 21:49:43

Tested the Up today. Nice car but found that even the higher spec engine wasn't good on accelerating from a standing start. it is well designed and spacious but I will probably go for a larger car and engine.

Waswondering Thu 30-May-13 21:42:05

A friend of mine has just got a toyota auras hybrid. I was admiring one tonight, and imagining it on the A90 �� .... Does it have to be VW?

smokinaces Thu 30-May-13 20:56:52

40 miles trip I would go for a polo over an up tbh.

I looked at the up, the Adam, the ka, the fiesta, the corsa and the picanto. I do 20-25 miles a day, but all town driving. Went for the picanto due to deals, reliability, size, fifth seat and it was more comfortable for me to drive.

If I drove more a day I would go for a polo though.

Lilymaid Wed 29-May-13 15:49:26

I'm test driving an Up tomorrow. Was very impressed with it in the showroom but need to see whether it would be up to the job on the motorway as my daily driving involves country lanes/ A roads/ motorways as well as town driving.
It has good space inside and a decent boot size for such a small car.
I went into the showroom to look at a Polo but the Up seemed a much more interesting car.
I'm also considering a Jazz and a Fiesta.

higgle Wed 29-May-13 15:31:52

I have a new style Fiat Panda, lots of space, doors, cheap to run, quite cute. My circumstances are much the same as yours, OP, only one son at home now and just shopping and sometimes dog in the car. Panda has been great.

StickEmUpPunk Sun 26-May-13 14:55:24

the VW, Skoda and Seat are the same company. So the different versions are the same car.

It's basically cosmetics and the badge. IE people prefer a VW to a Skoda.

We've always had VW, Seat so I know a bit about them.

I love the UP but can't afford it and have an old SEAT Arosa.
Smaller than the UP, and I've done 70 and it's fine.

In fact, the UP is heavier.

Only thing, it's a small engine and if you are doing fast roads I suppose you have to be careful pulling out, it gets to the high speeds of course but pulling out it's rather slow.

It's nothing like a smart car, that's almost an insult LOL
SEAT and VW are very VERY well made cars.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 14:44:50

I should add, they are quite a temptation and one of the cheapest lease options around at the moment. I was half considering one, but as I sometimes have to do 250+ miles it's not a serious option for me.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 14:42:10

Except it's a city car, which is the size class just below supermini. It's 43cm shorter than a Polo and 30cm taller. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to wobble off the road or get blown over in a gale, but it's likely to feel less stable than a Polo or Fiesta.

I admit that is my musing as I haven't driven an Up!, so my advice would be to test drive one as well as a Polo/Fiesta/equivalent. Make sure you get a chance to get up to 70 and see how it feels.

Libra Sun 26-May-13 12:29:34

It is not that small! Similar size to other super minis like the polo etc.

NatashaBee Sun 26-May-13 12:22:29

I don't know what the Up is, but if its like a smart car I definitely don't think you want to be driving it on roads with strong cross winds.

Libra Sun 26-May-13 11:59:49

Hmm. Thanks for that. It isa bit of everything. Windy country lanes the dual carriageway then stuck in city traffic for at least half of the trip.

WMittens Sun 26-May-13 10:08:50

The Up! and the Mii are essentially the same car. Do you really want to do 40 miles a day in a buzzy city car? Not my idea of a good time.

What sort of roads make up your commute? A roads, dual carriageways, urban?

I don't know what they're like in cross winds, but in order to make them short, they tend to be tall so I can imagine they could be seriously affected.

In the same situation, I would go for the Fiesta.

Libra Sun 26-May-13 08:56:00

We have agreed (after a year long campaign) that I should buy a new car. DH finally gave in when he had to borrow my old Honda Civic last weekend. Should have got him to do that years ago.

Anyway. With one son at uni now and so only one to ferry around, plus DH with a big estate car, I think I want a small car. I need it for a 40 mile commute each day - 20 there and back. Needs to carry shopping. We live in NE Scotland so it needs to cope with snow, ice and very strong winds when driving on dual carriageway.

Having looked at the reviews, i am down to the Up, the Seat mii or possibly a Ford Fiesta. Priorities are reliability and economy.

Does anyone have an Up or a mii?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now