Would you buy an ex taxi car

(13 Posts)
almost50 Sat 25-May-13 21:30:14

These are interesting responses. Thanks to you all. I'm erring on the side of caution atm

peeriebear Sat 25-May-13 20:09:48

Our Vectra estate is an ex taxi and has an exhaustive logbook. Regular servicing, parts replaced, everything maintained. The only thing DH has had to do is replace the brake discs/pads; otherwise it's been a bargain buy.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 25-May-13 20:07:25

No I wouldn't.

A friend bought a (non-London) black cab - it was a nail.

OnTheNingNangNong Sat 25-May-13 20:04:55

No! Avoid like the plague. There's a reason they're so cheap!

RVPisnomore Sat 25-May-13 20:03:07

No, no, no.

I change my answer then. I assumed the insurance would require a certain standard of maintenance but if not then I'd be more wary.

WMittens Sat 25-May-13 18:23:40

I imagine that to be insured as a taxi driver you need to show full service history.

Nope, not a requirement.

Snorbs Sat 25-May-13 17:48:44

I wouldn't. Mechanically it all depends on how well maintained it was but taxis live a very hard life. The interior is also likely to be badly worn and covered in puke stains. Finally the work required to fit the taximeter can leave the electrical system rather butchered as well.

Pollydon Sat 25-May-13 17:45:54

I have my dh's ex taxi . In our area taxis are checked every 6 months ( tougher than an M.O.T.) & I luffs my car smile

peanutMD Sat 25-May-13 17:42:23

Nope, my mums DP is a taxi driver and they have to replace car atleast every 3 years as it becomes uneconomical to replace burnt out parts.

almost50 Sat 25-May-13 17:36:06

It has a reconditioned gearbox he said. I was afraid that short journeys may have taken their toll on the parts

I think I would. It will likely have been well looked after as its provided a living for someone. I imagine that to be insured as a taxi driver you need to show full service history. Probably high mileage but if well maintained that isn't necessarily a problem.

almost50 Sat 25-May-13 17:18:00

Skoda Octavia ex taxi car being advertised for £1000. Always liked Skodas. Is it worth considering or would you just steer clear of ex taxis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now