Anyone got a peugeot 207?...

(11 Posts)
Lifesagame Thu 23-May-13 14:34:52

Looking at a second hand diesel (1.6 110ps sport), 5 years old, 35,500 miles on the clock, downsizing to save on fuel costs and road tax. Would you recommend the car? Anything I should be aware of? Have always had Fords so a bit wary of buying a peugeot!

Lifesagame Thu 23-May-13 15:24:49

Or if a 207 isn't to be recommended, what other diesel supermini would be good? Have £6k to spend and looking for as new and as low mileage as possible.

Lifesagame Thu 23-May-13 19:35:01

They're obviously good then! grin

WMittens Thu 23-May-13 21:00:58

The engine is used by Peugeot Citroen (PSA), Ford, Mazda, Suzuki, BMW MINI and Volvo, so it's a well known quantity, good and reliable. If you've had a 1.6 diesel Ford, it may well have been the same engine.

It sounds like they're a bit picky on the oil they use, but I'm sure any half-decent garage will know what they need.

I've got one but not the diesel. Had no problems with mine even DH is grudgingly getting to like it. Easy to drive, easy to park & get all the shopping in the boot

Lifesagame Fri 24-May-13 07:57:35

Thank you both. When you say picky about oil what do you mean exactly? Would you say they are generally reliable? I've always thought of Peugeots as generally quite unreliable and I think that's my biggest concern.

WMittens Fri 24-May-13 08:51:08

A quick nugget I read say they need low SAP (sulphur, ash, phosphorus) oil, otherwise deposits build up in the oilways which could cause (potentially significant) problems.

As I say, any servicing garage will know what is needed, and it could be that most oil now is low SAP (this engine has been used since 2004/2005, so oil technology may have moved on as a whole).

I would be confident that the engine is going be reliable. The rest of the car might not be so - French cars tend to have a poor reputation for electrics and general build quality.

Have a look at the honestjohn.co.uk review of the car - they list the things that are known to be wrong with cars and are fairly comprehensive, and will give you a good idea of the chance of having a problem.

TheWave Fri 24-May-13 09:34:49

I've got a Peugeot 307 petrol. Had 8 years and very reliable so far (for all those dissing Peugeots). They are quite good value so don't get all the luxury details perhaps that other more expensive makes might have.

pebbles1234 Fri 24-May-13 09:43:50

We've got a 55 reg 206 cc, it's a fantastic little car - had it since new with no real problems, despite it's age, just the usual wear and tear, it doesn't get driven much as we use it as a second car, but when it was the main car (Pre ds!) it was very economical on fuel, especially compared to the gas guzzling Volvo I now drive! We're just thinking of changing for a 4door 308 as baby no2 about to arrive but would def have another peugot. Hope this helps.

Lifesagame Fri 24-May-13 14:33:22

Thank you everyone - there seem to be quite a lot of negative reviews but I guess you get that with any car, it's all luck of the draw isn't it? I do love the look of it and it looks like it would be quite practical, but can I ignore the issues I've read about and take a leap of faith? Decisions, decisions, decisions!

michaelh Tue 04-Jun-13 21:14:13

Dodgy cars. If you are doing less than 18,000 miles a year do not buy a diesel. For this money you could get a decent Golf or Skoda that would do the job far better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now