Any car genius' out there? My 06 astra having stereo & steering wheel control panel problems!

(16 Posts)
JoyceDivision Wed 15-May-13 19:03:22

I amcurrently pointing the finger of blame on ds who was sitting in the front a s a treat and so I didn't have 3kids squashed in the back.

I realised the control panels on the steering wheel weren't working. Then, the stereo wasn't switching on and off with the ignition as I always have it set.

Then, when trying to put the auto ignition on, the settings button, BS or whatever, the two buttons on the right hand side of the big middle on / off / volume button aren't doing anything, yet the two on the left side to pick either cd or radio are working???

The display panel only shows the current consumption pof fuel, as I have it set, but now won't display any music info, not even cd track number or radio station, yet one button on the steering wheel will let me jog through the display choices (not stereo - eg stop clock, miles per gallon, ave miles left in tank) but nithing elseworks onthe steering wheel!!!

Any clue at all what is wrong? I don't know much abiyut cars so am loathe to go to vauxhall as they'll see me coming a mile off, and I don't have the cash at the moment to buy loads of new stuff.

Any help really really gratefully received!!

Numberlock Wed 15-May-13 21:09:59

I had a quick search for you and it could be a fuse or a bulb.

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080717124742AARsrh2

www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?143897-Dash-display-screen-not-working

Take it to a little backstreet garage as opposed to vauxhall dealer and you could be pleasantly surprised. Or at least the diagnosis should be free.

JoyceDivision Thu 16-May-13 22:24:29

oh bless, thank you ever so much! I shall nip up to garage that is round corner and ask them to have a look. V frustraing not having a blardy clue what radio station is on!!!

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 22:30:36

You're welcome, love your user name!

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 22:31:09

In the meantime, you could play Guess the station?!

JoyceDivision Fri 17-May-13 10:31:29

I am! It is riving me nuts hahaha!!! Trying to find tracks on cds is a nightmare, and if i press am / fm i don't even know what band its on! aarrghhh!

(But, in the grand scheme of things....)

Dh remoinds me of when he bought his first car, his stereo was a cassette player he had on the passenger seat grin

Numberlock Fri 17-May-13 11:29:06

Aah the good old days, rewinding tapes with a pencil because the rewind function had stopped working ages ago!

JoyceDivision Fri 17-May-13 12:03:43

or having totakle the tape out and turn it round and use fast forward if that button works, guess where your track is and turn tape round, put back in and hope for best!

I feel 14 again grin

Numberlock Fri 17-May-13 12:05:41

Ha ha, same procedure on a Walkman to save the batteries - rewinding with a pencil.

And it might have been a mix-tape that your mate or boyfriend had made for you.

JoyceDivision Fri 17-May-13 12:20:12

Absolutely mix tapes made for your mates!!

I madeone for my friend where the first track was Mr Grieves by t he pixies because that was her boyfriends surname, and Fiath No Maore's cover of Easy, bit I put 'I'm (wh)easy)' because she drunkenly told us abpout copping off witha chunky chap who wheezed while in the jiggy bits hahaha!!! grin

JoyceDivision Fri 17-May-13 12:20:58

I'm laughing so much now thinking about that!

Numberlock Fri 17-May-13 12:25:53

Happy days, JD.

Glad something fun has come out of your car problem!

JoyceDivision Mon 20-May-13 21:30:24

Diagnosis complete!

A flat battery! At half 7 this morning when I should have legft at 7.15 for work!!!

Theluffely RAC man came at quat to 9 and replaced the battery (not sure why it needed replacing cos it was only 1 year old anda Bosch one) but it was under warrently and free! Huzzah!

I now know which radio station I am listening to and have thetseering wheel controls for the stereo back in use!

Even the RAC chap was cheered by how happy I was blush

Numberlock Mon 20-May-13 22:05:30

Flat battery on the car or the Walkman?

Ha ha, great news.

JoyceDivision Tue 21-May-13 20:54:51

haha, it would have been a trip to Woolies at the weekend with my mates after mum or dad would drop me off if the walkman batteries had gone, Numberlock grin and loads of sweets

Numberlock Tue 21-May-13 21:27:31

And maybe a cut price single from the reduced bin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now