MOT help! What has happened to my lovely car?

(8 Posts)
Plomdenume Wed 15-May-13 14:54:26

There was nothing obviously wrong with my car until I took it for its MOT. IT failed because it needed a new brake hose, some more steering fluid and the fuel filter was slightly loose. So the garage fixed those things and it passed the retest.

HOWEVER it is now shuddering/stuttering/jumping like a kangaroo in second gear probably 8 out of 10 times I am accelerating in second gear, and in some other gears too. It feels like one of those old cars where they really stutter and little explosions go off - do you know what I mean? What have they done to it? Obv I am taking it back in but I would like to have a slight clue what has happened....

Plomdenume Wed 15-May-13 15:34:50

Bumping (like me car)

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 15-May-13 15:45:11

Back-firing in older cars was usually caused by the carbs not working properly, so that small amounts of fuel would accumulate and then explode. <---- not a very good explanation, but I know what I mean. grin So, if they fiddled with your fuel filter, your current problems could be caused by that.

Plomdenume Wed 15-May-13 17:04:39

Yes its like there's dirt or something in the engine. I am going to blame the fuel filter and make them fix it straight away. I have had no car for ages and it am going crazy trying to negotiate work/public transport in time to pick the kids up.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 15-May-13 17:17:10

Ooh, just a thought, check your spark plugs too. If it's misfiring, could be one of them isn't happy.

LIZS Wed 15-May-13 17:22:33

Ignition coil ?

Plomdenume Wed 15-May-13 18:17:05

But why would it mysteriously conk out on the same day as MOT repairs? I am extremely annoyed.

WMittens Wed 15-May-13 19:36:55

If they've fiddled with the fuel filter then that would most likely be the problem. Either they've removed it, checked it and something's fallen into it before they've refitted it, or the process has dislodged something to partially block the filter.

That it happens when you accelerate it supports that - you accelerate, the engine picks up, tries to suck in more fuel which sucks up whatever causes the blockage - this stops the engine speeding up, reduces the suction through the filter and the blockage drops out of the way allowing more fuel through - engine speeds up, sucks up blockage etc. etc.

Take it back, get them to check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now