whats the cheapest (fuel cost) to run car with 5 seats thats still cool?

(5 Posts)

i have a fiat 500 atm for my daily runaround and it works great. i fit all 3 tween size kids in.
but i am expecting in january, so i need 3 seats across the back.

(ive got a caravelle for days when needing to carry more, so its the cheapest to run day to day thing im after.

would love to know what the cute/quirky/cool options are !

tia

WMittens Wed 24-Apr-13 08:48:58

Cool is subjective - what sort of cars (suitable in this case or not) would be on your cool list?

I think you'd be looking at Golf/Focus/Astra-sized cars to get the required space in the back, and cars are losing some of the quirkiness by that stage in the market. You could try something like a Citroen C3, C4 or Berlingo (the latter is quirky in an ugly sort of way, and six seats).

In terms of cheapest fuel costs, obviously more recent cars and engines publish better figures, however you're losing more on the car's value - if you're doing small mileage, fuel isn't as significant a cost as a lot of people think.

Best mpg figure I've seen - 94mpg; the car it's attached to? Porsche 918. Cost? £750,000. MPG isn't the be-all and end-all.

Primrose123 Wed 24-Apr-13 09:09:03

My DH has a Skoda Roomster. He thinks it is very cool! It is very good on petrol, and has a glass roof, which is lovely for the kids in the back. The best thing about it though is the fact the heated seats (front only) get really hot!

Prices start at about £12000 I think, have a look here.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 12:31:42

Worth bearing in mind, too, that in real life cars rarely match their official fuel economy figures. Take a look at our story on this at www.mumsnet.com/cars/info/news/the-truth-about-official-fuel-economy-figures.

WMittens Wed 24-Apr-13 12:33:39

A Vauxhall Ampera will certainly have enough room for you (maybe too much). I don't know if it's cool but I think it's a good looking car.

Headline figure - 235mpg; I don't think you'll find many cars cheaper on fuel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now