Which of these second hand cars should I buy?

(14 Posts)
BikeRunSki Sat 20-Apr-13 07:24:40

Sorry, just seen you are sorted.

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Apr-13 07:23:27

If the Ka mileage is not genuine, go for the nicer Micra. Japanese cars have a good reputation for longevity (bearing mind, I know v little about cars).

WMittens Sat 20-Apr-13 07:12:40

Excellent, well done! A long MOT is extremely valuable on cars at this price, even if it runs for one year and fails the next MOT then it's only cost about £30 a month (after weighing it in for scrap).

Madratlady Sat 20-Apr-13 01:23:10

It's sorted - I'm now the owner of an N reg fiesta in great condition for the age, 12 months MOT with no advisories on the one it just had and 6 months tax and only 73000 miles. Bargain, I only paid £450.

Fallenangle Sat 20-Apr-13 00:57:58

To check mileage ask to see past MOTs and service history. If the Ka needs an MOT and mileage appears genuine then you could agree to buy it, and pay for MOT, as long as it passes the MOT.

Soooks Sat 20-Apr-13 00:48:47

Watch it with the Ka, they rust, terminally.

Madratlady Thu 18-Apr-13 23:05:38

THe Ka needs MOTing next month so probably not worth the risk. I'm probably going to look at the nicer Micra tomorrow, or maybe the not so nice one if the mileage is lower.

I test drove a N reg fiesta earlier. Nice enough car but no power steering - my arms may fall off if I had to drive it any distance and I can't parallel park with power steering. That's the only drawback. If the Micra is crap I'll be going back to buy it though.

milktraylady Thu 18-Apr-13 19:32:24

car bloke DH says get the nicer micra & get it serviced.
there you go!

BackforGood Thu 18-Apr-13 19:30:08

duh... I meant to say "Ka"s grin

BackforGood Thu 18-Apr-13 19:29:20

We drive a 1997 Micra, and the engine is FAB. Did have to have a lot of bodywork done this year though. We got it when we replaced our 1995 Micra - we had been pleased with it, and my excellent mechanic also said "You can't go worng with a Micra".
115 000 miles is a lot though (we're on about 80 with our '97 one). If the cam chain goes (which is what happened to our previous one) you've had it.
I don't know much about cars, but for only £30 more, that really is a LOT less mileage... I think I'd probably be tempted by that.

WMittens Thu 18-Apr-13 19:06:24

I wouldn't trust either mileage on a car that age - the 115K Micra may be genuine at just under 8000 miles a year, but I sincerely doubt the Ka has done less than 2500 miles a year, every year.

The newer Micra or Ka would be my picks.

Madratlady Thu 18-Apr-13 16:22:37

Unfortunately I can't afford the AA check. Can't really afford the bloody car but we live in a village with no regular bus service which is causing major getting to work problems with one car.

A friend helpfully pointed out that red Kas remind him of ladybirds. I suddenly like it a bit more now grin

lljkk Thu 18-Apr-13 10:59:16

Ka for having much lower mileage. Yes they are ugly but they are roomy enough inside. Can you afford the AA check as soon as you buy it to look for any major problems?

Madratlady Thu 18-Apr-13 09:46:29

I'm looking for a car to drive to and from work mostly, but might be moving to a job that involves quite a bit of driving. I've narrowed it down to 3.

Micra
1997. Reasonable condition, a bit of rust on the boot. 1.0L engine, unknown mileage, taxed and MOT. Couple of small dents. £399

Nicer Micra
1998, no noticeable damage, 1.0L. Taxed and MOT. 115,000 miles £420

Ford Ka
2000, 1.3L, no noticeable damage, 1.3L, 32,000 miles, £450
Only downside is it's a Ka and I don't like the look of them very much but I can't really afford to be too picky. Also I'm not sure I can swap out the stereo on a Ka and i could on the others since I don't own any tapes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now