I can't get out of my driveway - is there anything I can do?

(52 Posts)
MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 08:49:31

A few months ago our neighbours changed their car and now have a humungous 4x4 type thing, with darkened windows.

I can't see past it and I can't see through it and I keep getting beeped by cars coming up the road - which they often do quite fast - because I'm backing out, very slowly but by the time I've gone far enough to see anything coming, we're in the line of danger already.

I am really scared that one day something will just go straight into us. I can't ask the neighbours to change their car. I can't ask them to keep it elsewhere - they use a disabled space. (I don't know in what way but their little girl is apparently disabled - perhaps she can't walk very far - they have a blue badge and it's none of my beeswax anyway)

We're also not in a position to afford a higher up car, so I could see a bit better.

Is t here some kind of appliance, mirror thing or such that I could fit to our car to enable me to see if anything's coming?

I'm really concerned about it - at present we have to use the car most days, and with a new baby in the back as well as my older child it's just a horrible feeling every time...I'm even thinking of moving house because of it.

Thankyou

XBenedict Wed 17-Apr-13 08:50:48

Can you reverse into your drive?

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 08:51:03

Also we can't back into the drive, well, in theory we could but it would mean stopping in the middle of the road, and reversing while everything else waited for us - so that wouldn't be very safe either. People often tailgate us out of impatience anyway, or they try and overtake when I'm signalling to turn into our drive - it's one of those narrow but busy roads where people get very shirty.

CharlieMumma Wed 17-Apr-13 08:51:51

Put a mirror at the end of your drive and also reverse on to your drive instead so you can get out. If its too busy when u get home to do this ten go out later in the evening and do it. Nothing else you can do really unless your partner is with u in the morning to guide u out

BIWI Wed 17-Apr-13 08:51:57

I would reverse into your drive, so that when you are leaving you are pulling out forwards, which means you will be able to see better.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 08:52:45

I'm going to try reversing, just as an experiment but am very reluctant to do it especially at busy times of day. We also get ambulances going by quite frequently and would be awful if we were stuck trying to reverse when one of those came along

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 08:53:52

Thanks all. I thought of putting a mirror somewhere - one of those enormous ones - but it would have to be on the opposite wall to be any use. I don't think my neighbours would want it stuck on their garden wall!

lottiegarbanzo Wed 17-Apr-13 08:54:27

Well, backing in while you can see people and thy you is safer than backing out when neither is the case.

Can you get a mirror fitted on the other side of the road, so you can see what's coming when you pull out? You sometimes see these on windy rods opposite people's drives. Talk to the council?

lottiegarbanzo Wed 17-Apr-13 08:56:09

Windy roads of course!

DeepRedBetty Wed 17-Apr-13 08:57:30

Can you get one of those parabolic mirrors fixed up on the other side of the road?

Could you go to the neighbour with the big car, explain your problem, and offer as solution that you change places during the time that they have Big Car and yours is small? Are your driveways separated by a wall, if they're not this could work very well.

HousewifeFromHeaven Wed 17-Apr-13 09:01:12

Parabolic is now my word of the day grin

duchesse Wed 17-Apr-13 09:02:28

In theory and according the highway code as I remember it, you should reverse in to your drive rather than out.

BIWI Wed 17-Apr-13 09:03:08

But traffic has to stop for you if you're turning right into your drive anyway - it makes no difference. And there can't be that many ambulances! And even if there was an ambulance, you simply manoeuvre out of their way - it wouldn't take that long.

Being able to drive forwards into the road from your house will definitely be safer.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 09:03:55

I will ring the council and ask if they can do anything but have a feeling the neighbours across from us would object...

The ones with the big car park in a designated space on the road. They are lovely people but I don't know them well - they don't speak much English and I don't know much Polish! But we smile and wave etc. I like them. I don't want to complain.

Their space is actually one driveway removed from ours - we have a walled front bit (flats) with just a small gap to get through (also one reason I'm nervous of reversing in!) and then the house on our left, as you're looking at the road, has a similar walled drive, and then immediately there's the big car in its space. If it were right by our drive I'd have a better view but as it is, the angle is dreadful as I get no vision at all till we're in the road.

Going to have to bite the bullet and do the reversing thing aren't I. Yikes.

ImNotCute Wed 17-Apr-13 09:04:17

Is it possible/ would you be willing to park on the street rather than pulling onto the drive? It's annoying if you had to do this but avoids problems getting off again.

duchesse Wed 17-Apr-13 09:04:48

Oh and ignore the crapheads trying to hassle you. You have to put up with them whizzing by your house all the damn time too fast, why shouldn't they wait 30 seconds while you get into your own driveway? If they are really shirty you could try the thing my friends do of getting out, leaving your car in the middle of the road, going over to their car and apologising profusely and at great length for keeping them waiting.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 09:07:11

Biwi you should see the road at 4pmish - it's mental. It's right by the hosp so loads of NHS vehicles as well as being a rat run for regular cars, loads of parked cars, single lane down the middle - you can imagine.

If I'm sitting there gesticulating furiously at people in front of me, and behind me, I think I'll lose the plot and forget to signal or something, and end up in a worse situation than we are now! It's so tempting to just drive straight in - and it's uphill, our driveway, which makes it harder.

Duchesse is it really? I didn't know. I thought it was illegal to reverse onto a main road but ours is a minor road iyswim?

Chopstheduck Wed 17-Apr-13 09:09:57

reverse in.

Indicate, slow right down and people will have to wait for you to reverse it. If they tailgate they will have to back up - I think you need to be a little more assertive and stop worrying about someone having to wait 30 seconds. Traffic will be able to see you, it will be far safer than having to reverse out.

If an ambulance is coming, then fair enough you will have to go in front ways.

I really don't get people that drive frontways into narrow driveways then I see them in the morning going back and forth like a yoyo trying to edge out of a driveway they can't see out of.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 09:10:39

LOL duchesse grin I am liking that.

Good point about parking on the road. Yes, if there's a space I could in theory leave it there overnight but it's not actually my car (it's my mum's) and the insurance wouldn't cover it - also our horrid top flat people would park theirs in our space, if we did that - which is right by our front door and a narrow fit to get prams past - so we need to keep something there iyswim.

And my dad would be worried about people hitting our mirrors and so on. Cars are such a pain!

I'm going to talk to the council, and try reversing. Thankyou everyone. It is good to have some constructive discussion about it, stops me going quietly insane smile

Chopstheduck Wed 17-Apr-13 09:10:41

If it is really busy, I'd indicate then put hazards on while u reverse in.

beginnings Wed 17-Apr-13 09:12:07

OP, our family home was on a bend at the crest of a hill so we always reversed in as there was no way you could safely see to reverse out. Just indicate well in advance and brake slowly. Yes people used to tailgate and lean on their horns, and screech dangerously past us occasionally but that was their problem, not mine. They'd have been crosser if I'd reversed into them.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 09:15:21

Yes Chops that is exactly what I am worried about - currently, I indicate, and turn smoothly into the drive, and no one gets too cross - but if I indicate, they often think I'm just waiting to go past the parked cars on the left iyswim, and get stroppy, and try and overtake.

I'm going to have to stop in the middle of the road, a bit past the drive, and go into reverse, all the while some eejit coming up right behind me, and they will then have to back up, and so will the person behind them, and so on - chaos.

And then I'll still have to get he angle right so I don't hit the wall on the way in - or ground out on the humpy pavement. So I'm a bit nervous.

MandragoraWurzelstock Wed 17-Apr-13 09:17:42

Hazards is good idea.
Beginnings, poor you! We've been here almost 5 years now and never had a problem reversing out before. I have had people try and guide me out, in the past and got really cross with them because it was a cinch.

It's only this particular vehicle that makes it bloody dangerous. I wish they would sell it and get something else.

CharlieMumma Wed 17-Apr-13 11:19:31

If it's that busy at 4pm then just drive on to drive and thn move it later and reverse on to it.

whattodoo Wed 17-Apr-13 11:28:23

Can't you park across your driveway when the road is busy? (Sorry if I've misunderstood the logistics!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now