Carpark Scrape - I drove off...

(135 Posts)
MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:46

Hello,

Marginally late for the school run this morning I managed to touch the car parked next to me whilst maneuvering. I checked and there was very little damage / no dent and (being a bit late) I think no one saw.

So I drove off smartly.

But what if the school has cameras or someone did see, touching another car is just one of those things, isn't it?

Percephone Thu 18-Apr-13 14:22:57

So a Swedish dentist who has children at Haberdasher's school scraped a silver 4x4 in the car park, which likely belongs to a teacher.

I do hope no one sends them an email, because you have more or less identified yourself!

Percephone Thu 18-Apr-13 14:26:23

That is, unless this is all a load of bollocks.

WMittens Thu 18-Apr-13 19:00:59

Yup, definitely a troll.

Well - in case this is a real thread, I have to say I agree with those who say that MaryPoppinsMassiveSack should own up. However, it is clear that she is too selfish to do so. I think that leaving the repair costs for the other driver to bear shows her lack of decency - though I am sure she will come back and tell us what a wonderfully charitable and altruistic person she is, and how unfair it is to judge her on one incident. hmm

Of course, we aren't judging her on one incident - but on her reaction to it. What I find especially nasty is her referring to the driver of the other car as a snotty cow, when she has done nothing wrong at all - the OP, however.....

I have twice damaged someone else's car in a car park, and both times I found the driver of the other car, and gave them my details, and we paid for the repairs to their cars. It was just the right thing to do. The first time it happened, I was in the gym car park, and scraped the side of another car. I went back I to the gym and got paper and pen to leave a note with my details, but then decided to wait in my car until the driver came back - it was an elderly man, who was lovely to me - I was almost in tears at what I'd done. He even sent me a bouquet after the repairs were done.

MaryPoppins - for me it is about honesty. If I hadn't owned up, I would have felt dishonest, and it would have weighed on my conscience. I think what you did is dishonest, but clearly you have lower standards in this area.

Oh - and of course you won't be complaining if this ever happens to you which would be beautiful karma.

difficultpickle Thu 18-Apr-13 21:52:24

snotty cow? You said you thought it was a teacher's car. Why send your child to a school where you clearly don't respect the teachers?

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Thu 25-Apr-13 12:44:44

So I'm back, both on the forum and in the country. No developments to report on the scratched car situation, however...

Upon my return, I am finding a cheeky little post it note on my windscreen with "ho ho MaryP" and a smiley face. I'm assuming one of you knows who I am though as I've heard nothing from the school I thank you for keeping your silence ;-)

Maybe we could do cake sometime? Or does the Scandic Troll have her own little troll?

EasterHoliday Thu 25-Apr-13 12:52:11

someone did this to DH's car when we were on holidy in Devon last year. Stupidly, he did it right in front of a pub with drinkers sitting outside who took his licence reg and provided statements. He's just been convicted of a couple of offences, been fined £500, given 6 points on his licence, a small costs award against him and his insurance has paid for the damage.

I also know someone whose boyfriend did 6 weeks in an open prison for driving off after a scrape and then compounding it by lying about who was driving because the driver was uninsured.

so the moral is, be as smug as you like Ms Poppins, because Karma can take a few months to work her magic.

MarthasHarbour Thu 25-Apr-13 12:58:16

hmm

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Thu 25-Apr-13 13:27:48

^^ smug? Not being smug (had to google that, thanks for expanding my vocab) just an update as i am having so many negative comments.

Are you at all ashamed for damaging someone else's car, and leaving her to pay for it, when you could have done the decent thing and own up? Or are you happy that you have got away with it? If it is the latter, then I do think you are being smug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now