Carpark Scrape - I drove off...

(135 Posts)
MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:46

Hello,

Marginally late for the school run this morning I managed to touch the car parked next to me whilst maneuvering. I checked and there was very little damage / no dent and (being a bit late) I think no one saw.

So I drove off smartly.

But what if the school has cameras or someone did see, touching another car is just one of those things, isn't it?

difficultpickle Tue 16-Apr-13 20:01:48

I hope you are joking. If you are not then I hope you own up tomorrow by telling the school office. How would you like it if someone did that to you?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Apr-13 20:02:57

Very little damage? So there was some? Even a small scrape can cost a couple of hundred £ if it needs a professional respray.

I've had this done to me twice.

I hope they do have CCTV. And no damaging another car isn't one of those things.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Apr-13 20:03:44

And if they do have CCTV they might be able to get you done for leaving the scene without leaving your details.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 16-Apr-13 20:03:51

My car still bears the brunt of some kind person like you.

Unbeknown to her DH saw her, took her reg and reported her. She had a knock on the door from the police later that night.

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 20:04:13

if someone did that to me it'd have to be a MAHOOSIVE dent for me to notice. The car's not in perfect condition...

StuffezLaYoni Tue 16-Apr-13 20:04:43

You obviously know you've done the wrong thing, or you wouldn't have posted this...

UnChartered Tue 16-Apr-13 20:05:02

that's ok then

as long as your car is fine hmm

YoniConnect Tue 16-Apr-13 20:05:05

I did this in a carpark the other week, and left a note on the windscreen. The car I scraped belonged to a student; he was so grateful. I would hate to find my car damaged with no note, so I wouldn't do this to someone else.

Wolfcub Tue 16-Apr-13 20:06:56

my car is a mess because of people lile you. when I accidentally very gently touched someone's nice new audi I admitted it even though polishing out the teeny tiny scuff put a 1200 charge on my insurance. sadly because no one admitted to doing this to my car I can't afford to get the dents and scratches on mine fixed. I hope you choose to do the right thing tomorrow

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 20:07:19

Viva - You 'hope the school has CCTV'. Nasty

DomesticCEO Tue 16-Apr-13 20:10:00

confused how is that nasty MaryPoppins???

SandStorm Tue 16-Apr-13 20:10:44

This happened to DH recently. Someone gave his car a 'little dent' in a car park and drove off leaving no details. No, it doesn't look much, but the insurance company have just authorised the repairs at a cost of £2k. Might not look much to you but the cost can be enormous. Please do the decent thing and own up to it.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Apr-13 20:10:46

Not as nasty as driving off and leaving another car damaged.

Of course I hope they have CCTV. The other person deserves to find out who's damaged their car so they can bill you for any repairs. Really nothing nasty about that.

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 20:11:51

wolfcub - your insurance shot up by £1200! fuck that. I'm glad I drove off

Quak Tue 16-Apr-13 20:12:29

People are sooooo precious about their cars. I don't get it. I suppose if you had a brand new shiny car then the first scratch would annoy you but really, it's just a car. People's reaction to the tiniest of marks is so over the top that it would put me off owning up to it. I've got little scrapes on mine and have lost count the number of times a new one has appeared with no note. It doesn't bother me though. If someone had left a mark as you described and left a note I might contact them to say thanks for letting me know, but forget about it. I wouldn't feel particularly guilty op but I expect you are going to be made to feel it!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 16-Apr-13 20:12:59

But it's ok for the other person to have their insurance shoot up?

You really are a nasty person with no moral compass.

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 20:13:39

quak - good on you

Wolfcub Tue 16-Apr-13 20:14:26

No the cost of the repair to the insurance was 1200. Lets hope you're never in the position of the person whose car you scraped having to find that kind of money because someone said "fuck that I'm off"

I hope they do too... That isn't nasty - nasty is damaging someone's car and driving off!

In the last two months I've had a wing mirror smashed, my bumper scraped and a two panel scratch down the side. £400 worth of damage by people who just drove off.

There is NO excuse for driving off, it's disgusting and selfish behaviour and I truly hope you get caught.

Earlybird Tue 16-Apr-13 20:14:47

Is this a wind up?

Perfect way to get people going.....

I hope they have CCTV and I hope you get a knock on the door from a big burly copper. You have committed an offence.

LegArmpits Tue 16-Apr-13 20:15:15

I don't get why people are so precious about steaming hunks of metal e

I bumped a car in sainsburys once, and left my number at customer service desk. Unknown to me someone took my reg and reported me to the police and they would have prosecuted me for leaving the scene of an accident if I hadn't left details at the customer service desk. I was shock. It was barely even a mark, so glad I had done the right thing. You don't sound very nice to be honest, but you probably won't care what I think

MaryPoppinsMassiveSack Tue 16-Apr-13 20:16:11

nothing got smashed, there was a 2" scrape on the bumper which was shite where the paint was come off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now