Ford Ka - should I replace it?

(9 Posts)
TwitchyTail Tue 09-Apr-13 19:18:58

Thanks all! I do love my little Ka smile

bottersnike Tue 09-Apr-13 12:48:47

I agree with the others. My first car was a Ka and I absolutely loved it. Only changed it when we had 2 children and a dog!
Keep it and enjoy it!

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 08-Apr-13 10:51:16

Congratulations grin
I'm the queen of impractical 'family' cars, if you like it and it works for you then that's all that matters. Like others have said some bigger cars aren't as safe as some little one, it all depends on the accident.
Look at the critisms alot of mums get for having cars too big that they can't drive?! Everyone has an opinion and you can't win!!

TwitchyTail Mon 08-Apr-13 10:34:03

Thank you Mutt! That is what I was hoping to hear grin

Mutt Mon 08-Apr-13 10:28:47

They're talking nonsense.

If a juggernaut crashes into any car there won't be a lot left of it.

Not everyone can (or would wish to) drive round in Chelsea tractors and a Ford Ka is a perfectly sensible car to drive with your new baby in it.

Congratulations by the way smile

TwitchyTail Mon 08-Apr-13 10:23:24

Thanks DrMcDreamysWife. I don't mind the 3-door thing (I can contort myself through tiny spaces - good at yoga grin ) I don't consider it flimsy either, but was taken aback by the number of people who seemed to think it was a toy car hmm Perhaps I just know the wrong people.

DrMcDreamysWife Mon 08-Apr-13 10:15:33

A cot?! I mean a city!

DrMcDreamysWife Mon 08-Apr-13 10:14:39

I have a 7mo and we're getting on fine with my ford ka. I mean yeah mine is 3 door and a bit awkward sometimes getting her in the back but it's fine. The car seat fits and the pram fits in the back and the shopping goes in the passenger seat!!

For me it's reliable and cheap to run. I figure I will change it maybe when I've been back at work a while and have saved up some money!! But not bevause of the car just to ipgrade it because i've had it years! But I have never considered it flimsy?! I live in a cot so it's great to park in teeny spaces!

TwitchyTail Mon 08-Apr-13 10:08:48

Please be gentle, I am utterly clueless about cars.

I have a 2006 Ford Ka that I have always found great to drive (maybe because I have never driven anything else!) and reliable. I've recently had a baby. We have a carseat and pram that fit in the Ka just fine. So it meets all our practical needs.

But a few people have made comments along the lines of "you won't be taking your baby around in that tiny flimsy thing will you? You'd have no protection in a crash".

Do they have a point? I could afford a new car (small family sized eg Focus or similar) and I'd do it if there was a significant safety advantage, but... is there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now