What do you think of Mumsnet Cars? Tell us, and you could win a portable sat nav

(81 Posts)
AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Wed 03-Apr-13 14:32:01

Mumsnet Cars is a few months shy of its first birthday, so in preparation for the big day we'd like to take this chance to look at how it works for you and find out what you think of it.

We'd like your opinions so we can make sure it does everything you want it to. So if you've ever used it - or didn't even know it was there - now's the time to take a look and let us know what you think of it.

All your thoughts would be really helpful, although it would be particularly useful to hear your opinions on any of the following:

Have you ever looked at Mumsnet Cars? Did you know it was there?
How easy is it to find the information you want on it?
What sort of information are you most likely to be looking for at Mumsnet Cars?
What do you think of both the range and quality of the content Mumsnet Cars currently has to offer (car reviews, used car valuations, news and advice)?
What are we missing?

Everyone who posts their comments below by 15 April 2013 will be automatically entered into a prize draw to win a TomTom Via 135 Europe portable sat nav worth £150. This device covers the UK and the rest of Europe, and includes voice-control, Bluetooth connection for your mobile phone and TomTom's Lifetime Map update package, worth £80. 

HotheadPaisan Wed 03-Apr-13 15:24:14

I've looked, seems good to me. You have to keep reminding me so I remember for when we need a new car, which will happen at some point.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 03-Apr-13 15:35:34

For me it's a bit like MN Local Talk boards - not used as much as it could be so doesn't have enough to interest me or make it worth checking out. When we changed cars recently I did look at it but found Parkers and the Top Gear website reviews much more comprehensive.

I'd love it if reviews included the sort of information that isn't easily available elsewhere but is vital - which carseats fit that model, how many carseats can fit etc.

Interestingly in the case of the cars we have the 'essentials' bit on the MN reviews is very wrong. It's says for one our cars that the fuel economy is 74mpg - we're lucky to get an average of 33!

NeatFreak Wed 03-Apr-13 15:36:54

I didn't know it was there, sorry! Having looked at it I think it is really useful with practical advice.
Thins I would be looking for is real advice, such as how easy it is to install car seats, leg room, how much storage, boot space (which prams would fit etc) as well as reliability, parts costs and resale value. Tips from owners would be good, like blind spots, best places to store kids snacks etc.

I can't think of anything to improve it as that would only be clear if or when I was looking for a new car, which sadly I'm not (need one though!)

SoupDragon Wed 03-Apr-13 15:38:50

I did know that it was there but, TBH, I don't do much with cars so don't need to look. I bought an SMax 2.5 years ago on the basis of reviews on MN though smile

I think MN Cars s one of those things that is only going to be of use to a small number of people at any one time.

WildThong Wed 03-Apr-13 16:40:49

I looked at it when I was changing my car. I wanted and eventually got a Honda CRV, and as ever I consulted MN. MNetters have made helped me buy loads of things from scarves to slow cookers to vacuum cleaners, to even where to go on holiday, can't see green cheese me! Unfortunately on this occasion there was no review apart from the What Car one which I already had anyway.
So the point of this long ramble is basically that I don't think it gets used, I have seen car conversations on Chat, so maybe people don't know about it so just exchange views on the general forum instead.

ValentineWiggins Wed 03-Apr-13 16:48:27

No and No

Seems ok but info seems limited - the reviews of cars are very limited in general and don't include any useful information.

Price, quality and size...useful info about boot size for prams etc would be sensible, ease of fitting multiple car seats etc.

Can I suggest maybe a competition to incentivise people to actually add reviews about the cars that they own?

ShatnersBassoon Wed 03-Apr-13 17:38:47

I wasn't aware of it. I might have a look at it next time I think we can justify getting a new car. I'd want to read reviews written by typical motorists ie not people who rate a car on its sex appeal or handling on the Cresta Run.

BuiltForComfort Wed 03-Apr-13 17:54:13

Never looked at it, sort of knew it was there but hadn't thought about it.

The sort of info I want is real life reviews. An at-a-glance list of cars organised by price, stars, type, no of reviews etc would be useful.

I'm only likely to be in the market for a second hand car and more info on used values would be good. I liked the advice on how much you should be able to negotiate off the price.

I am aware of it and have looked at it - especially now, as I am looking to replace my car. I'd like to see more Mumsnet reviews but I guess that it takes a while to build up a database. I do like to see the WhatCar reviews as well, so overall I think there is a good amount of information here. I think it's easy to find what I personally want to find using the search facility.

My children are adults now, so pram capacity isn't something I need to know (until grandchildren come along - one day!). I like to know about safety, reliability, economy and how comfortable and spacious the car is.

gazzalw Wed 03-Apr-13 18:08:39

No I wasn't really aware that there was a special section dedicated to cars although I know there have been various product trials involving Mumsnetters testing certain types of car!

We are one of that rarefied breed of car-free families so I'm afraid that it's not of much interest to us and not likely to be so.

However, now that I know it's here I would recommend it to friends and family who might want some car-related knowledge and recommendations!

Katz Wed 03-Apr-13 18:15:42

I have and yes

it ok

real people's opinions not petrol heads or those who think all families should have a ford focus

What do you think of both the range and quality of the content Mumsnet Cars currently has to offer (car reviews, used car valuations, news and advice)?
Its ok, like what car it feels slightly in favour of cheaper cars and tends to mark more expensive cars down because they're expensive not because they aren't good. Well yes, but how does the actual car perform?

What are we missing?
Like others I review of how many car seats and which makes fits across the backseats.

Katryn Wed 03-Apr-13 18:16:56

I wasn't aware that there was a car page on mumsnet.

I looked up a HOnda 4 x 4 (which I just had a ride in) but there wasn't much information - no independent reviews, and couldn't find out how much a second hand one would be etc. or how reliable it is, so not much good really.

The kind of info I would like would be real reviews, how economical to run, what is the second hand value etc.

EskSmith Wed 03-Apr-13 18:18:30

Yes and No

Seems ok and I like the link with what car, but not much info there.

TBH I'm unlikely to be looking on MN for the technical spec. What I would be looking for is feedback from other parents on day to day practicality, family friendly info.
Can you get 3 seats across the back. How easily does a pushchair fit in the boot? . How easy are the seat belts to use for children. Etc etc. A tick list in essential items filled in by real owners would be great.

I spent ages writing a review for the launch and when the cars were re-organised by type, my review wasn't included so I'm very hmm about that and wonder how many more reviews aren't included?

We are looking for a van/minibus type if car now eg VW Transporter and there doesn't seem to be a section for cars that will suit a larger family. There are enough of us on MN to bother having a section like this!

reastie Wed 03-Apr-13 18:21:56

Had no idea this was on mn! Had a nosy and looks really good and v useful when we come to get a new car.

I'd be looking for top rated cars in different categories - maybe a list of the top ten for different requirements (eg those in need of big boots/lots of seating/small cars/fancy pants sports option etc). I'm not really interested in all the technical jargon about the car unless you explain to me what all that means in layman's terms - I'm more interested in the colours and pretty bits whether it's good on fuel/is reliable etc.

pennylovesleonard Wed 03-Apr-13 18:35:02

No, not until just now. I did but I'm not buying a car in the near future so don't really need it ATM.

Quite easy, seems very straightforward.

Reviews for when I need to buy a new car.

I Think there should be more reviews, perhaps more mnetters could review their own cars?

tiggerbounce77 Wed 03-Apr-13 18:41:23

I never knew this was here, have had a look and it does look very useful, will use it when I need to buy a car

LittlePurpleCircle Wed 03-Apr-13 18:45:03

No, I didn't know it was there!

I thought it was pretty good. I liked reading reviews from people like me iykwim?

Personal experience of the cars, ie how they are to park, whether kids get car sick, how reliable they are, and from Which, things like how well they hold their value.

It's ok. Could do with more reviews, but like me, I suspect not many people have been using it so far. It is certainly something I will look at again when we come to replace our car.

What are we missing?
Promoting it! More reviews. Photos of real users using the cars. More photos of the insides of the cars. Offers of year-long test-drives that will be delievered to my door smile

JS06 Wed 03-Apr-13 19:00:10

Yes, as I responded to something about a Fiesta a long while back

Straightforward, organised and sensible

Recent experience of sales techniques and garbage like that, whether cars easy to have serviced, excellent after sales, what gizmos and gadgets are really effective, what you can forget about as an extra, how easy it is to put down seats etc

Great starting point and I think this will increase dramatically once people post more of their own info

What are we missing?
Long term reviews over a couple of years in the life of a family and their car, some video clips (Vine perhaps?), some podcasts from no nonsense senior manufacturers who address questions we're asking with honesty and a conscience.

katiewalters Wed 03-Apr-13 19:10:36

i knew it was there, but forgot to be honest. the site was very good and helpful and easy to use. i cant think of anything that is missing from the site, it seemed to cover all areas. some of the reviews were quite limited though, could do with being more in depth. info about what car seats the cars take, the boot space, things that people with kids would want to know are what i would want to see included, as well as the general car information

Sparklesandglitter Wed 03-Apr-13 19:17:39

Have you ever looked at Mumsnet Cars?
This is the first time I have used mumsnet cars, I just used it to review a car I am thinking of purchasing

Did you know it was there?
No, this was the first time I have been made aware of the website

It is easy to navigate the website and find the information I needed

I would be looking for car reviews and owner reviews. I would want to know about economy, what it is like to drive etc

I think it has a wide range of useful information

What are we missing?
I have always thought it would be frat to have a search engine so you can put in the criteria you are looking for (e.g. Boot size over 1500L, engine between 1.6 and 1.9, etc) and it shows you exactly what cars meet your spec or you enter a model you have looked at and the website shows you comparable options. This could help if people know what they need but not what is available

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 19:23:18

Sorry didn't know it was there. It looks useful and easy enough to use. Hopefully one day i'll be able to put it to good use.
The most useful thing is reviews from other parents, comments on space for car seats, prams etc and safety ratings

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 19:25:40

Ooh and a satnav would be great! It wouldn't stop me getting lost but would give my dh a break from getting the blame smile

goldenretriever Wed 03-Apr-13 19:36:28

Have you ever looked at Mumsnet Cars?
This is the first time I have used mumsnet cars, I had a look at reviews of cars I am thinking of purchasing

Did you know it was there?
No, hadn't heard of it.

Pretty easy to navigate the website and find the information I needed

I would be looking for car reviews and owner reviews. Petrol efficiency would be useful.

I think it has a wide range of useful information

What are we missing?
More specific criteria options

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now