How much for a new hand brake?

(11 Posts)
AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 22-Mar-13 13:37:22

I have a 2005 Renault Megane and today the hand brake went. As I was parking there was a clunk and then the brake lever went loose. Its in the garage now but not sure what to expect cost wise? Anyone got any ideas?

Oodsigma Fri 22-Mar-13 13:57:16

We've just been quoted £600 seems to be Renault minimum price for our scenic handbrake. Something to do with the computer & cables.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 22-Mar-13 14:10:56

What! I'm having heart failure! Is that for an electronic handbrake?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 22-Mar-13 14:21:52

What! I'm having heart failure! Is that for an electronic handbrake?

WMittens Fri 22-Mar-13 19:33:56

It really depends on which bit failed.

AQG showed a result with someone getting a secondhand handbrake assembly from a breaker's yard for about £100 and fitting it themselves. If Renault quote you for a new assembly and fitting I can well believe it coming out at £600.

crazymotherhubbard Sat 23-Mar-13 16:39:40

I am afraid the price is about right. The electronic servo which operates the handbrake is a pricey part at around £400.

This part has to be coded to your cars ECU (Brain). So even if you buy a used part from ebay, you will still need to get it programmed to the car.

My DH is an engineer and following our scenic woes, has vowed never to buy renault again.

WMittens Sat 23-Mar-13 17:33:34

The electronic servo which operates the handbrake is a pricey part at around £400.

It's a lever-operated handbrake so it's a cable, there's no servo.

crazymotherhubbard Sat 23-Mar-13 17:48:13

Follow the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RENAULT-SCENIC-HANDBRAKE-MECHANISM-KIT-/270745620047?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09b24e4f

The black item in the middle (DH advising) is an electric servo (essentially en electric motor which travels through a fixed arc of rotation). This is the bit that is most likely to have failed.

Good luck with the repair.

WMittens Sat 23-Mar-13 18:17:57

"THIS IS THE RENAULT SCENIC ELECTRONIC HANDBRAKE MECHANISM KIT FOR THE LONG WHEEL BASE MODEL (7 SEATER)"

Key word: electronic.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 27-Mar-13 12:18:05

It isn't an electronic handbrake - just your bog standard pull on manual one. And it cost £82 to get it fixed.

WMittens Wed 27-Mar-13 12:59:16

Good result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now