Which two cars do I need?

(18 Posts)
hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 11:59:07

So the situation is we have a kia ceed right now but will need 2 cars soon for work/ school run, but I'm not sure whether I should try and get a bigger car for me and the dc or a smaller car for dh and his commute.

I need either: a car that is larger than a kia c'eed that will preferably take 3 car seats across the back seat- but that is not essential. An automatic or semi-automatic is highly prefered, with isofix and fairly cheap to run/ insure.... It will be doing roughly 9000 miles a year, countryside driving

Alternatively the a smaller run-about for dh which will do 3000 miles a year, countryside driving again must be an automatic.

Or we could sell the kia and get 2 different cars. We can afford 6.5k for the one car or 9.5k for the two.

Any ideas? Recommendations? I like the ford smax, but I think it's too expensive

I have to say I love my Clio as a runaround that still has an excellent safety record. However, We have had a couple of Skoda's and in general have been very impressed. We had a Skoda Roomster which was very practical and had no issues at all in the 4 years we had it - I would say the feel of it was maybe a bit cheaper than our current Octavia estate but was still nice to drive with no roll round corners that you sometimes get with a higher car. The Octavia Estate we have now is really lovely and has a humungous boot - as does the saloon - very reliable that's why taxi drivers use them so much. 2 years old and nothing needed done.

I've had my Clio 5 years from new - done 21K so not huge mileage and all i have needed is 2 new tyres and a replacement ball joint.

Probably the most practical car we had ever was the Renault scenic - the original MPV. we had 3 in row! and you can definitely get 3 car setas along the back. I don't think we needed that by the time we had the roomster so not sure if it can.

memphis83 Fri 15-Mar-13 13:43:43

What about a ford cmax, we have one its got isofix and 3 full seatbelts in the back. Nice sized boot but smaller thsn the smax.

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 14:19:01

if I'm replacing the c'eed I really want a bigger boot, the c'eed is fine for everyday, but as soon as we go away it fills up very quickly. Is the cmax boot really big enough? It didn't look any bigger than a c'eed to dh so was off the list but if it is then it would be a very good option!
A clio automatic would be a really good runabout for dh- my brother has one and it has been really reliable.
I'd thought the scenic didn't have isofix? Will have a look.
Would never have thought of a skoda- my great aunt has one, but it sounds practical which is the main thing.
I'd also been thinking about the renault kangoo-looks boxy but big!

The roomster is on the same vein as the Boxter but maybe a bit more "car like" than a converted van.

Skoda regularly win the top award from the buying public - there is also the Fabia which would be a good runabout too - Owners call them Furbys grin

seems they do have Isofix - this would be about the model you'd be looking at on your budget I think:

www2.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301184974449/make/RENAULT/model/SCENIC/postcode/fk95ge/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/quicksearch/true/price-to/7000/price-from/6000/advert-type/featured-listing/dealer/12187/usedcars?logcode=flp

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 14:58:18

it looks great actually, but looking at those pictures does it have underfloor storage compartments? I have erf seats with support legs so it would not work for us if so, which is annoying as it otherwise looks an excellent choice.

the roomster is more car like, which dh would like! I don't think it's quite big enough across the back seat for us though.

hotair, yes it does have underfloor strage and drawers under the front seats I think too - there seemed to be loads of places to keep stuff. Not sure what erf seats are and why that wouldn't work but take your word for it smile That's a shame - Toyota Verso maybe my neighbour has one of those.

memphis83 Fri 15-Mar-13 15:09:27

I can fit a lot in my cmax boot I fit 2 large pushchairs in last week. Its a lot bigger than a normal car boot.
The boot is bigger than our sil's Sharan (like smax) as the 7 seaters tend to lose boot space to make way for the third row of seats. It alzo has underfoot storage in the floor space and cubby holes in the sides of the boot too. Can you tell I love mine!

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 15:14:56

erf are extended rearfacing seats- the support leg has to rest on something solid.
I have heard that you can fill them up to make it safe though- I'll check!

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 15-Mar-13 15:19:48

We have a grand voyager for me and my three children- its fab! Really comfy and you can just pile everyone in! You could pick one up for 6.5k. Not the cheapest to run though.

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 15:29:59

memphis not the dreaded underfloor storage, I think that counts it out for us! it does sound like it would be big enough which is good to know.

scarlett the grand voyager looks like a nice car but I think insurance and running costs are too high for us.

Okay, I see what you mean now - I guess you could pack it solid with something that doesn't "give" sand bags maybe? Although you may find that the support leg doesn't actually impact where the storage bins are - the advantage is that the rear floor is flat without the raised bit in the middle so there is a far greater floor area anyway.

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 16:24:21

well I've learnt something today! For anyone who's interested I found loads of swedish and norwegian websites with pictures of people using erf in cars with underfloor storage. It seems that it is considered fine, but best to fill the compartment with high density polythene (40kg/m3) or phone books.
So it looks like the cmax and the scenic are back on. I think the scenic is edging in front for me. There's an english language source here

memphis83 Fri 15-Mar-13 16:24:44

My friends rear facing is fine in her cmax. The lid is thick and solid and doesnt move. And mine is an older model so may have changed?

hotair Fri 15-Mar-13 16:33:04

memphis- its more about the the lid crumbling under the pressure of a crash I think, but the swedish sites I found said that the support leg can punch through the floor and the seat still keep it's occupant safe, but that best practice would be to fill the void under the lid to spread the load.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 16-Mar-13 18:13:35

I vote smaller car for DH, and keep the Ceed since you seem satisfied with it.

hotair Sun 17-Mar-13 16:54:27

yeah I think thats what we're going to do- I will need a bigger car in 2-3 years than the ceed, but I'm quite happy with it at the moment!

hotair Thu 04-Apr-13 14:26:03

Update- did the numbers and the fuel economy on the ceed was so bad that we were better off swapping it- we're getting a smart for dh and a touran for me! Was going to be a C4 grand picasso but I hated the console.
I think I've found the right car, but also that the garage has over priced it- whatcar valuation is 1.5k less than the garage price. Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now