4x4 vs estate

(20 Posts)
appletiser Mon 04-Mar-13 10:43:23

Have a ford mondeo already but dh uses that for work, other car is Peugeot 206, thinking of stp hanging to larger car/4x4 and using as main family car accommodating for 2 car seats at least and plenty of leg room in back, boot large enough for push chair and a zillion other things for weekends away. I'm not sure whether estate or 4x4 is better option - bit of a big change from my 206-does anyone have any advise

WMittens Mon 04-Mar-13 14:02:26

4x4 often don't have any extra space inside, and will (usually) have worse fuel consumption.

You could go for half and half, and get something like a Volvo XC70, Subaru Legacy Outback (or Impreza wagon) or an Audi Allroad - estate cars with effective 4WD.

austenozzy Mon 04-Mar-13 14:10:20

Not sure of your budget, but I have a mondeo estate and we've never had any issues fitting everything needed for a week in Cornwall with DD and dog. Loads of room, and drives really nicely too. Not the flashest car in the world, but as practical as they come. Bit of a hit on tax and fuel economy though, but it is 10 years old and a 2 litre petrol.

My FIL has a 206 'estate' - the boot isn't massive, but it has a fully opening rear window with grill inside it (pic: www.nicarfinder.co.uk/processed/images/review-images/1876/586-392---peug206sw.jpg) which is great if you have a dog and need to pop him in there for any length of time.

mistlethrush Mon 04-Mar-13 14:13:08

We've fitted similar in to our Octavia Estate - which we've found really good. If you're set on a 4x4 Skoda do the Yeti - not quite as much luggage space as the Octavia, but still reasonable and you have the 4x4 benefits. Why do you want a 4x4? Do you regularly get cut off with snow or live on a hill on a minor road or something?

WMittens Mon 04-Mar-13 20:07:31

If you're set on a 4x4 Skoda do the Yeti

There is a 4WD Octavia estate available.

LittlePushka Mon 04-Mar-13 20:36:20

I was is same position! I had a Mondeo Estate - boot space was brilliant
(only a passat had marginally more). i had to replace it and I did loads of research. Bottom line for me was octavia scout (but relatively new and thus too expensive for us) due to traction/size/fuel consumption etc etc .

I was also very impressed with a VW Passat estate for same reasons but none on market at right price at the time.

we went for a renault megane estate - excellent consumption and a top of the range model it is a really lovely drive for a deisel not 4x4 but have invested a couple of hundred quid in snow tyres which are utterly amaxing in our very hilly untreated locality - ...BUT... seems much less boot space than our fab mondeo estate, the slots for the rear seatbelts are really low making the car seats in the back a real PIA, and the electric window regulators have gone three times in a year....would not reccomend another.

if I could rewind a year I would def go for a passat estate or if I had more cash to spend the octaviat scout or even just another good old mondeo estate with my new found confidence in winter tyres. let me know what you get grin

mistlethrush Mon 04-Mar-13 21:22:21

But the octavia estate is pretty much the same car as the Passat estate.... and less expensive. There is also a Superb with 4wd....

tigerdriverII Mon 04-Mar-13 21:29:10

4x4 only really worth it if you need one for hilly, snowy, muddy etc conditions (I do and I have one, a Forester). 4x4 usually worse fuel consumption and a bit unwieldy. Definitely worth having something with a decent boot so you can get loads of stuff in it, I'd love another sporty number, but I need a work horse more.

WMittens Mon 04-Mar-13 21:55:49

But the octavia estate is pretty much the same car as the Passat estate.

Nope, different platform - Octavia shares a platform with the Leon, Golf, Jetta, Audi A3 and others of that ilk (depending on year); the Passat has shared platforms with the Audi A4/Seat Exeo, and currently the Skoda Superb.

mistlethrush Wed 06-Mar-13 13:53:13

What I meant by it was that the Octavia and the passat give you a very similar car in terms of volume. You will pay more for the passat of course.

zumo Tue 12-Mar-13 06:44:25

4x4 often don't have any extra space inside, and will (usually) have worse fuel consumption.

You could go for half and half, and get something like a Volvo XC70, Subaru Legacy Outback (or Impreza wagon) or an Audi Allroad - estate cars with effective 4WD Quote
I agree having has several 4x4s, Range Rover, Discovery, LandRover, Suzuki SJ and Vitara, whilst the 4x4 is good it s good set of tyres that makes the difference, no tyres grip on ice, my current 406 estate has more usable boot space, I would go for an economical estate and possibly consider a set of winter tyres if you really need them but to be honest if its snowing the safest place is to stay at home.

BikeRunSki Tue 12-Mar-13 07:26:26

We had an Octavia estate 4x4 (not the full on Scout, the ordinary diesel estate with 4x4engine). It was the perfect family car in terms of size, relatively cheap to run, great fuel economy and the 4x4 'lite" very handy for living in the countryside. It was a company car, for a job DH was made redundant from, but we intend to replace it as soon as we can.

Mutley77 Tue 12-Mar-13 07:42:03

We had a Honda CRV - just sold it to emigrate but had no problems with it - it was ten years old but never gave us any trouble.

The boot was absolutely massive - easily as big as most estates.

The 4x4 element was handy as when it snowed it meant we were not restricted in getting around.

appletiser Wed 13-Mar-13 10:40:02

Hi everyone thank you so much for all your replies- sorry I haven't been able to respond myself but was reading everything. So far we have decided for Volvo xc60, the drive felt much better than other cars and more sturdy on roads - the rest I left hubby dear to work out. but yes findin it difficult to match mondeo even in the rear seats for size - just need to ind one that matches our budget- unfortunately my car that we were going to part exchange in went skidding in the snow the other day and have managed to destroy wheel and all the parts connecting it to the main body of the car. sad

LittlePushka Wed 13-Mar-13 22:29:02

BikeRunSki could I aks you, what was the octavia model you had? i am also interested in engine size and fuel consumption.

Roseformeplease Wed 13-Mar-13 22:30:28

XC90. Brilliant!

BikeRunSki Thu 14-Mar-13 20:45:07

We've had two Octavia estates, both company cars.
A 2L TDi, which i think was 140 bhp. It did 45-50 mpg mixed easily and a bit more on the motorway
We also had an Octavia 4x4, 1.9L. Fuel efficiency was marginally less, but the 4x4 traction was superb.

On the basis of the brilliance of the Octavias, I have a Fabia estate. It is perfect for me - small, unremarkable, efficient but with a big boot.

mistlethrush Thu 14-Mar-13 21:51:47

I've had the 1.9TD octavia estate and managed about 54 mpg on most tanks.

DH has the fabia estate and is getting more (05 reg)

Just ordered the superb estate for my next company car - it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

FullOfChoc Sun 31-Mar-13 18:31:56

I second the suburu Legacy estate with 4x4 suggestion, a little known gem of a car.

djtitmuss Sun 08-Sep-13 14:11:55

to be honest I am a little surprised Mumsnet doesnt really feature used car reviews...most of us buy them Try www.weloveanycar.com/car-reviews

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now