Change car now I have a teenage driver?

(13 Posts)
Scootee Thu 28-Feb-13 17:35:30

Honda Jazz - small car but safe and practical
Skoda Fabia - small car, safe with roomy interior for the driver

lljkk Thu 28-Feb-13 17:32:23

check back with us in 2 yrs & let us know how many vehicles you've been thru together. grin

lljk that was my original plan.
I've never been precious with cars, I see them purely as a means of getting around and not as a status symbol or valuable. One of the beauties of driving an old car is not minding when you hit the gatepost there is minor damage.
It's the thought of my PFB being involved in a serious accident in a car that doesn't have the best safety features.

lljkk Wed 27-Feb-13 19:19:31

I would keep the Corsa. When he's pranged it you will be grateful you didn't splash out for something nicer with fewer dents already.

Thanks all. I think a Clio looks like a possibility and it scores well on the NCAP safety ratings.
I think the black box is a good idea if the car belongs to the teen but this will still be primarily my car. Still it might sharpen up my driving I suppose.

VW always feel pleasingly tank like but I suspect the insurance will be terrifying. Some friends of ours got one of those boxes that monitors how you drive. That cut down on the cost of insuring their teenage son quite a bit I think.

WMittens Tue 26-Feb-13 20:38:00

Insurance prices will depend on how insurers rate the risk - some just apply percentages to the base premium, so a newer car will (most likely) cost more to insure than an older car (due to current market value, cost of replacement parts, etc.).

Renault have consistently scored highly in safety tests so consider Clios and Meganes. Volvo have (or at least used to have) a reputation for being tough, so try something like a C30.

NewFerry Tue 26-Feb-13 19:47:02

PLO -polo!!

NewFerry Tue 26-Feb-13 19:46:45

We bought a ford fiesta, an 09 reg so quite new. I have a PLO which seems very light (not as solid) as the fiesta.

RedToothBrush Tue 26-Feb-13 19:13:54

DH is 6'2" and struggles with Vauxhalls.

Skoda? Cheap to buy. Cheap to run. Cheap to insure (especially for first time drivers) Good for short arses and tall people alike.

So what model did you go for newferry? I want a small, easy for me to park, hatch back. It won't be doing long distances as we use DH's car for that.
I really have no knowledge or interest in cars, hence having kept my current one for ten years grin.

NewFerry Tue 26-Feb-13 16:53:21

I love your description of a cotton wool wrapped tank. I feel the same about my 2 six footers! The eldest has been driving for 2 years and the second passed his test just before Christmas.
We did change the car, and I was adamant that I wanted a small car with a good safety rating so I do agree with you.

Ref the insurance, I think your post code makes the biggest difference, but also companies do charge very varying amounts so definitely worth shopping around.

Honestly, we think the toddler years are bad, the nearly grown-up ones are definitely worse!

I drive an old Corsa which owes me nothing. DS1 is now learning to drive and I have had a sudden urge to buy a cotton wool wrapped tank something with more safety features.
He is 6'2" and struggles with the peddles in my car. I don't plan to give him a car but just allow him to use it a couple of times a week.
Any ideas? I know the insurance will rocket when he passes his test but will it make much difference how new or old my car is? I assume it's more the third party aspect with a high risk driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now