Range Rover is bankrupting us! Not a 4x4 discussion so please don't make it a 4x4 bashing!

(23 Posts)
NaturalBaby Mon 18-Feb-13 20:23:17

I'm in the same boat - £20 last week lasted 4 days just doing the school run. Dh had an old RR with an LPG tank but I need boot space now.
I'm going to have to get a people carrier.

Katz Mon 18-Feb-13 20:22:17

We have a mercedes r class 4x4 and 6/7 seats depending on the model you choose, we love it, thinking of trading ours in for a new one. Plus the newer ones so 0-60 in 7.7secs

workingonitagain Mon 18-Feb-13 20:18:25

hi Op i have a xc90 which is lovely to drive and very comfy but have the same problem as you. find it incredibly expensive. i blame it all on dp who got me to buy one as they are big and comfy but eating my monthly budget away so badly sad. living in the middle of town so hardly ever go for long distance. so im now thinking of looking at a people carrier as planning the dc3

BlueberryHill Sat 16-Feb-13 17:49:10

How old are your children? I can fit two proper child seats in please the middle seat lifts up to act as a booster. So I fit three in the second row behind me, great for long journeys. I have a diesel Volvo XC90.

FayCorgasm Fri 15-Feb-13 23:54:30

Looked at the Lexus but I'm not keen on the fact that hybrids are almost silent when working for the electric engine. I think it's really DS versus for children (or any pedestrian in fact). A shame as they would be a good car otherwise.

JumpHerWho Fri 15-Feb-13 23:53:57

I want a 4x4... so badly... DH is a green freak and is aware we'd be judged so I'm not allowed sad

<lurks for ideas>

FayCorgasm Fri 15-Feb-13 23:52:46

Oops! Long distance in the car and have a roof box. I'm quite capable of parking - the RR is much easier than DH's summer sports car which is just as wide but so low you can't see any corners! I think I'll look into the Volvo and the VW mentioned - thanks!

FayCorgasm Fri 15-Feb-13 23:51:00

Yes - need a 4x4 as live in the sticks and have 3 DCs and two dogs. We go away each year l

hermioneweasley Fri 15-Feb-13 21:39:45

Lexus rx? As a hybrid it's more fuel efficient than other 4x4s.

Wallace Fri 15-Feb-13 21:39:14

Forgot do mention my Caravelle is LPG. But I think the newer diesels are more efficient.

recall Fri 15-Feb-13 21:38:45
recall Fri 15-Feb-13 21:37:14

How about a VW Touareg, and then getting it converted to LPG to reduce the fuel costs ?

Roseformeplease Fri 15-Feb-13 21:37:13

Volvo XC90 -love mine.

WMittens Fri 15-Feb-13 21:35:53

If you want a 4x4, brick-like aerodynamics and the extra power losses from 4WD is part and parcel. If you have to stick with a 4x4 and want better fuel economy, try something like a diesel XC90 (as has been mentioned).

Alternatively, go for a faux by 4 with 2WD and a small diesel engine.

If you need space for your big family, a 4x4 is not normally the best idea, especially at the luxury end of the market such as RR; 4x4 drive train reduces the space in the cabin, and space, luxury and gizmos in a RR means less space for practicalities.

Parking is easier in a big car because you can see better? You'll love how easy it is to park a car with an extra 6" of space on every side.

Wallace Fri 15-Feb-13 21:06:42

I think what you really need is a VW Caravelle. 8 or 9 seats, high up, and great visibility. Mine is fantastic in the snow with its winter tyres on.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 15-Feb-13 20:58:03

Just how big is your family?

What about the qashqai +2

But do you need 4x4 (in as Are you rural) or do you just need a tall car to compensate for parking incompetence in-confidence?

BlueberryHill Fri 15-Feb-13 20:56:30

Volvo XC90, seven seats, high up and good clearance. We get loads in the back with the five seat layout.

DeepRedBetty Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:39

I'm using a Renault Espace now, still get the driving height and the capacity (in fact the capacity for things like children, dogs, children's crap, camping kit, other people's children's crap etc is considerably better) but don't have the mahoosive fuel bills and vomit-inducing replacement costs for things like tyres.

celebmum Fri 15-Feb-13 20:50:18

VW tiguan!? i think thats how its spelt! grin lovely cars..

FayCorgasm Fri 15-Feb-13 20:47:38

That's a good point but I've got really used to being higher up and being able to see further ahead on the road. I also find 4x4 easier to park as you can see better. Thanks for the suggestion.

How about a people carrier? Like the Zafira? The parts for range rovers et al are always going to be a shed load more expensive than a mass produced bog standard car.

FayCorgasm Fri 15-Feb-13 20:39:03

I love my Range Rover but it is so inefficient. I still want a 4x4 ( I know, I know) so does anyone have any good suggestions with first hand experience. We've already ruled out the Discovery, Porsche and X5. We also need a big 4x4 for our rather large family.

Thanks for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now