second car help!

(8 Posts)
omama Thu 14-Feb-13 08:45:31

I have a renault megane that really needs to go. I'm struggling to decide on something for me.

Dh has an audi a4 & his planned next car is an audi estate so we've got big family car covered.

We live in a rural area, i'd be using it for motorway driving (to/from work) so needs to be economical & I have a 2.5yo ds still in a stage 2 carseat & using a pushchair. We're also trying for another so may in the future need to be able to accommodate an infant seat.

I've been looking at mid sized cars eg kia ceed, ford fiesta/focus, vw golf, but worried about costs of running 2 'bigger' cars & thinking perhaps I should choose something smaller, but not sure a small car will accommodate pushchair etc or be so good for motorway driving. Budget around £10-15k.

Any recommendations for something suitable?

Heavywheezing Thu 14-Feb-13 10:58:47

I have an a classe which is great as it's a medium car, can get a buggy in the back, great to drive.

There's the new a classe that's bigger now too.

I live in somerset and would love a Volvo xc90, because of the extra seats and it's a 4x4 which is handy.

Have a look in which car? To see what you fancy.

Oodsigma Thu 14-Feb-13 11:04:36

Toyota Yaris. I've had 3 kids (2 car seats) and a pram in mine.

WMittens Thu 14-Feb-13 12:30:37

Personally I wouldn't have called a Fiesta mid-sized; Focus et al is nearer that size.

How many miles are your motorway commutes? Larger engines tend to suit motorway driving more than small engines - they won't be revving so high at motorway speeds so will be a lot less tiring (and possibly more economical) than a small engine buzzing away near the top of its performance range. If I take a mainly-motorway journey gently (60-65mph) in my 2.2 diesel, it displays up to 60mpg.

Focus is a safe bet, Skoda Octavia are well regarded for a cheaper brand and will give a bit more space in the boot (and some estates have 4x4 if that's an issue, but will knock the fuel economy a bit). Also worth looking at Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla - loads of options in this segment.

Honda Jazz
Citroen C3
Toyota Yaris

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 15-Feb-13 14:18:38

We had a Seat Ibiza when our two were small - great fun and steady on the motorway.

zumo Sun 24-Feb-13 09:23:11

I would spend £1-2000 on a diesel Peugeot, Skoda, or something japanese, join the AA and spend the rest on a holiday
The kids will remember the holiday for the rest of their lives but not the car

PhyllisDoris Tue 05-Mar-13 21:55:03

Our diesel ce'ed is really economical. We really like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now