People carrier with sufficient boot space for dogs and pushchair - asking for the impossible?

(19 Posts)
lucywiltshire Tue 12-Feb-13 21:04:08

We have a Volvo estate which you might think has enough space for kids, dogs, and all their paraphernalia. However, with a newborn imminent, a 21 month old and a 3 yr old still in bulky carseats we have an issue - where does newborn go? No space on back seat for third carseat. No space for big mamma me to squeeze in between carseats if babba goes in front. We have looked at Seat Alhambra which seems to be a typical people carrier. Would be ideal as two rows of back seats, good height, sliding doors etc, BUT boot space is TINY when third back row in use and we have two spaniels who need decent (and secure, ie with bars) boot space. Not a chance in a normal people carrier, and that is before you even think about a double pushchair in the boot. We cannot be the only family facing this dilemma and the only vehicle that seems remotely suitable is a minibus (literally). Any advice from people in same situation?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:15:40

We have a grand voyager and three children, it's fab. The seats all fold completely flat into the floor so you could have two of the back row seats down flat plus the boot space.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:20:41

The two middle seats are also captains chairs so plenty of room for the car seats, and easy to get from front seat to back row without getting out of the car, and also has built in DVD player!

lucywiltshire Tue 12-Feb-13 21:42:01

Thank you Scarlettsmummy. So if you have both rows of seats is there plenty of space in the boot? I have read a few reviews that say that there are reliability "issues" with Chrysler - have you had any problems with yours? I'll have a browse on autotrader now

LadyDamerel Tue 12-Feb-13 21:48:11

We have a Citroen C4 Picasso which has 3 full sized seats across the middle so can take 3 carseats, plus an enormous boot that takes 2 labradors and associated child-crap. There are 2 boot seats that fold up out of the floor and if you lift up one you can still fit the dogs in the space on the other side.

If you have both boot seats up you can fit an umbrella fold buggy behind them but probably not a full sized newborn pram.

But like I said, there's enough room across the back seats for 3 carseats or 2 carseats and an adult.

I love mine.

LadyDamerel Tue 12-Feb-13 21:50:20

The only thing I would say about the Grand Voyager is that it scores very, very poorly on NCAP safety tests. I think it only scored 1 star, which put me off.

lucywiltshire Tue 12-Feb-13 21:54:24

One of my concerns is having three kids in one row as I can just imagine the bickering/fighting that could go on - I find it bad enough just having two and they can't reach each other yet so the thought of three in a row is enough to give me nightmares (especially if newborn in the middle as I would seriously worry about his/her safety!!! I would also worry about not being able to reach the middle seat easily, for strapping in purposes. So I do really want to use both rows of back seats permanently. Our dogs need to be secure and contained in the boot which means bars and that rules out using one "side" of the second back row, IFSWIM!!! It does appear that no people carrier is big enough to have both rows of back seats in use and have enough boot space for dogs and double pushchair (we have roof box so other storage not an issue, just the dogs and the bulky pushchair!)

PseudoBadger Tue 12-Feb-13 21:55:15

Vw Caddy Maxi - ugly as sin, but drives like a smaller car and has bags and bags of room in the boot even with all rows of seats in. I've taken the back row out and have cages for my dogs but if I didn't need that extra security they'd have fit in the boot no probs.

PseudoBadger Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:50

Sorry x post. In the Caddy you might be able to get fitted cages in the boot with space above and or below for pushchair storage. I can recommend some cage fitters if you're interested.

PseudoBadger Tue 12-Feb-13 21:57:49

Sorry I should clarify its the caddy maxi life that I'm referring to.

lucywiltshire Tue 12-Feb-13 21:58:57

Pseudobadger - we have been considering the VW Transporter which I think is similar? I don't love the idea of driving a "commercial" vehicle but it does seem they are the only way to get the space!!

PseudoBadger Tue 12-Feb-13 22:00:10

Transporter is slightly longer and taller. I compete in agility so need space to hold my dogs securely and this model is very popular amongst competitors this year!

kicker Tue 12-Feb-13 22:09:34

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Estima-Lucida-and-Emina-Japanese-imports?ugid=10000000005865125
I have a seven seater. i have 3 DCs and lots and lots of crap.

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:52:10

We haven't had any issues with our voyager! Touch wood. The new models also have much better safety records. Boot fits my phil and teds with ease, plus plenty of shopping.

zumo Sun 24-Feb-13 09:29:34

Have you considered the Berlingo?
Massive boot, easy door access?
You could buy a people carrier and remove the rear seat to create a bigger boot, I like Voygers but parts prices stopped me buying it, I bought a Mazda Bongo its only used for best but we love it, too thuirsty for every day use though

Machadaynu Thu 28-Feb-13 08:00:21

Fiat Multipla or Honda Fr-v. They have 2 rows of 3 seats so baby can go in front. V. Handy if it needs attention! We had a Multipla, the boot is reasonable but quite tall. You can buy a dog shelf that splits it into two levels - dogs sit on top, pram etc goes underneath. Prams foot in it sideways easily. You can remove any of the backseats so for example of you need more room and fear bickering, just take out the rear middle seat. Bigger boot and a bigger gap :-)

cindersinsuburbia Thu 28-Feb-13 08:02:29

We have a Zafira and can fit alot into that.

Saying that though we have only ever used it as 5 seats

I think you'd fit 3 seats in the middle row of the SMax as each moves independently of the others. This leaves a cavernous boot or 2 extra seats and a boot big enough for a pushchair.

If you want to use the rear two seats permanently, you need to get a proper 7 seater, not one of the pop up seat types.

Of course, you'll get bickering about who sits where and you'll get Child A kicking the back of Child B's seat and poking Child C in the head. [experience]
I have a zero tolerance for bickering in the car and it seems to have worked even though it is a constant warzone outside of the car grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now