New car or fix the old?

(4 Posts)
zumo Sun 10-Feb-13 19:32:08

I would get a few more quotes for repair, if you spend £1000 on it it should last a few more years and lets face it if you buy another you will lose £1000 in the first few months.
I spent £500 on my Old car and its ;lasted another 2 years so I am happy, its still going with almost 200,000 miles on it

tazmo Sun 10-Feb-13 11:55:16

Hi issues are fixable - just expensive. Exhaust pipes are shredded (£360 to fix), brakes (£250), cost of service and MOT and a few other things. Just expensive to fix in a oner (been on maternity leave). I think we have decided to get a new one but does anyone know whether best to part exchange (garage said a couple of hundred for scrap), eBay for parts or webuyanycar website (offering £675 with less than 1 months MOT. Not sure if need to declare the other issues?). Not sure if whether on final inspection they would offer that much? There are a couple of scratches on the bodywork but once issues fixed, could imagine it would run well! Any further advice?

WMittens Sat 09-Feb-13 14:23:42

What are the failure points? Has the MOT and tax expired?

Trade in: it may still be worth something as part ex, but remember you can't legally drive it to a dealer.

tazmo Sat 09-Feb-13 11:45:41

Just bee told cost of service/MOT is going to be over £1000 for a ford focus 04 plate which as done 110,000 miles. Car worth prob between £600 and £1000. Should I get a new car or fix it? Been a gr8 car up to now costing v little on servicing and MOTs but wondering if it would last another couple of years if we get it fixed? Can't really afford either TBH. Need to get car tax too! Anyone know if there would be any trade in value without MOT and car tax! Car still drives fine but obviously needs work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now