What car do you have and how do you find it size wise with children?

(32 Posts)

DH and I are looking to change car so I'm wanting to research practicalities of boot spaces with children.
We've got a 10 week old so she has a pram with carrycot at the moment although she'll only need to use that until 6 months. DH plays a sport in the summer that means lugging a huge bag about. We also like to go camping every so often although we don't need to carry a tent as that goes in another car.

I seem to be wanting the boot space of a big car with the size and price of a smaller family car. I know not everyone has a huge car so it must be manageable.

Could you tell me what car you have and your positives or negatives of it size wise? We'll probably be buying new or up to 3 years old although I'm still undecided on that too

That's good then. We only tend to keep ours 3-4 years before we trade it in so it shouldn't cost much.
It depreciation that worries me a bit too

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 05-Feb-13 12:19:24

We tend to go for cars that are at least 18 months old. That way someone else has suffered the biggest depreciation and ironed out any faults too smile

fossil971 Tue 05-Feb-13 13:09:09

We are just about to downsize our 52 Passat. (We have 2 dc now junior school age). It has been a brilliant family car, comfortable, loads of room, it has been loaded all over with bikes and camping kit. The biggest pushchair barely half-fills the boot. Reasonably economical as a diesel and relatively little in terms of repairs over the seven years we've had it. Only getting rid of it as we have another vehicle for camping and don't need the pushchair space any more.

You will not go far wrong buying a used Passat, ours is over 140 000 miles now, the only downside is the dull image. Perhaps you can find one in a cheerful colour!

No-one's said Skoda Octavia? Haven't got one yet but it's 90% certain that's what the next one will be.

We test drive one on Friday blue
We liked it, we had wanted to buy one new as they had 20% off but they're bringing a new shape Octavia out next month so there's limited new current shapes about. So we'd be looking at buying one about a year old

Sorry *had a test drive in one

RugBugs Tue 05-Feb-13 15:50:20

We have just upgraded our Citroen c3 to errr a c3 Picasso.
It wasn't my first choice, I think it looks like a tank but DP is the one going to be driving it and he really likes it. The model is 3 yrs old now so lots are coming back to dealerships after being on finance/mobility schemes. Ours is an 09 plate, 23k miles and cost under £7k.

My Dad has a quashai+2 and it's more of a pain to get our (phil&teds) buggy in their boot than it is in a c3, the contouring of the boot door and the depth lost with extra seats mean it has to go in completely flat at the back or wedged on it's side at the back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now