Fuel consumption - People carrier v's 4 x 4

(7 Posts)
TreadOnTheCracks Sat 12-Jan-13 22:02:29

We are looking to buy a new/newish 7 seater in the spring. Have been looking at Ford Smax, Seat Albramha, Kia Sorento or Nissan Quashqui +2

I am thinking the Smax is probably the sensible choice, but we currently have an estate car which has 4 x4, and I am worried we might miss having it. Will the 4x4 use a lot more petrol/be lots more expensive to run?

We do a lot of camping so 4x4 is useful for muddy fields. Plus I love having it when roads are snowy.

Boot space is also an issue. Does anyone know if the Smax type choice have a lot more boot space than a Quashqui +2 ?

TIA

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 12-Jan-13 22:41:29

reluctant to say this as I resisted for a very loooong time, but for practicality the s max is superb. versatile, spacious, etc. we have the titanium x sport which is lovely BUT & BIG BIG BUT, it does 25miles to the gallon. I believe this is significantly more than the discovery or q7, but still really inefficient. oy sure what you mean by 4x4 (as in chelsea tractors or just 4 wheel drive car) but discoveries and q7s are incredibly expensive to maintain - tyres, parts etc. We have had all.

lljkk Sun 13-Jan-13 14:19:36

Do you actually need 4x4 as a driving feature?
There are websites online where you can look at real reported data on fuel economy to make your comparisons.

lljkk Sun 13-Jan-13 14:21:45

Oh sorry, I am a numpty & missed the bit about muddy fields. No way you should regularly try muddy fields in a non 4WD people carrier.

4WD are only a very little better than non-4WD in snow, don't get complacent about it.

throckenholt Sun 13-Jan-13 15:37:36

We have a 3 year old kia sorento - mpg is low 30s (better on motorways). Great for camping as big boot, but not good on muddy fields. It is heavy and unless the ground is very firm it can be tough going. I am pretty sure they aren't selling them new any more - and haven't been for about a year.

Generally though, I think 4x4 are more fuel hungry and if you don't actually need it then it is better not to go for one.

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 13-Jan-13 20:24:44

Thank you all. Gives me some more info to think about.

throckenholt Mon 14-Jan-13 07:18:51

I was talking rubbish - we have a sedona not a sorento blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now