Thinking about buying a C4 Grand Picasso

(28 Posts)
megandraper Thu 10-Jan-13 14:26:40

There's a hefty discount available until the end of January which is tempting us to take the plunge.

We've got a Xsara Picasso at the moment, but could do with the extra seats (have 3 small children and need to be able to transport grandparents/other children/etc. regularly)

Anyone with experience of one? Any tips? Any recommendations (have read that we should go for the diesel engine and the manual transmission).

megandraper Fri 11-Jan-13 09:29:04

I've read on the internet that a spare tyre can be fitted for £75 which sounds alright.

All children in forward-facing seats now, so don't need leg-props.

DH is very anti having a 'large' car so the van-type 7-seaters not for us. We'd be using the extra seats for short journeys - probably only 15 mins or so when ferrying an extra child around, and up to an hour or so with an adult.

Mon to Fri, DH will be driving car to work, but weekends and holidays it'll be for all the family. (I can't drive, medical reasons). DH thinks we should have a petrol one because of this (won't be fully loaded for a lot of the driving) though I still think maybe a diesel would be better.

WMittens Fri 11-Jan-13 08:53:38

Bugatti always was a high end/high performance/luxury car maker, and under VW it's back in France.

Chopstheduck Fri 11-Jan-13 07:13:41

erm the original french owned bugatti stopped making cars in 1950. It was the Italians who turned it into a luxury sports car brand!

WMittens Thu 10-Jan-13 21:11:28

While the French have many skills,car design and build is not one of them.

Tell that to Bugatti.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-Jan-13 19:47:16

Hello

We've moved this to 'Cars' as it's not really an AIBU

<proud owner of a rather battered Picasso>

podgymumma Thu 10-Jan-13 18:40:20

The peugeot 807 (or whatever the 7 seater is) comes with a spare tyre as standard as my Dad has one.

Inaflap Citroen wanted £450 + VAT when i enquired how much an additional spare would be!!

Inaflap Thu 10-Jan-13 17:58:46

You can pay extra and have a spare tyre fitted underneath. Ours is fine. Its not the most exciting thing to drive but its great for the family and the back two seats fold away so its not like having a massive 7 seater. The only thing is is that these have low leg room and is only ok for the very small or the normally sized for shortish journeys up to an hour. The storage places are really useful. I still miss my picasso though even though it cornered like a brick!

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 17:45:10

6 and 7 ok for booster seats, proper car seats and you would struggle. It was starting to get cramped for us (Youngest are 7yo dts)

lagoonhaze Thu 10-Jan-13 17:36:33

Things that would put me off.

Storage boxes and car seats as cant put leg prop on top of storage box.

Diesel particle filter- if it has one of these not good for short journeys/around town.

fluffiphlox Thu 10-Jan-13 17:33:21

While the French have many skills,car design and build is not one of them.

SantasENormaSnob Thu 10-Jan-13 17:28:47

We had nothing but problems with ours.

Oh and the engine shuts off when there's one of many a fault, fucking marvellous when in the outside lane of the motorway or approaching a busy junction.

Squeakygate Thu 10-Jan-13 17:20:58

Im sure there is a motoring topic?

Tincletoes Thu 10-Jan-13 17:09:34

Very good point too about actually seating 7. You need to go and see one as I'm not quite sure who seats 6&7 are designed for. You wouldn't be able to put a child seat on them, and no way would I want to subject my parents or inlaws to the rear seats - the one time we had DMIL with us, I went in it - it is tiny with zero leg room.

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 16:22:52

I had the bog standard citroen. It had pretty much everything we needed at the time. My galaxy is the top spec one though - the leather seats and parking sensors are the two things I really love having now.

Chopstheduck Thu 10-Jan-13 16:21:27

yabu.

I had one, was quite glad to see the back of it. It was jsut so cheap, it looked awful by the end of three years. Seats were sagging and had weird water marks - even though nothing was ever spilt) bits of the trim falling off, the bits that were still there were scratched to hell.

Though having said that it was a nice car to drive, and I lvoed the display in the center.

I now have a galaxy - far better build quality, heaps more space (though it isn't actually very much bigger at all), but it is a bit underpowered and struggles with mountains.

megandraper Thu 10-Jan-13 16:17:53

well we've got a citroen already and are happy with that one, so hopefully the Frenchness not too much of a problem!

1.6 diesel manual is what we are thinking of as well.

did any of you get any of the extra options and think they were worthwhile (or not?) - like the SatNav which seems to be massively expensive compared to having a plug in one (but DH would much rather have a built-in one)

Lifesagame Thu 10-Jan-13 16:01:17

Yep - definitely what Hannah said!!

KoalaTale Thu 10-Jan-13 15:59:32

Yabu, French cars are awful IME, as are far eastern ones.

Sokmonsta Thu 10-Jan-13 15:55:32

I have an automatic c4 grand Picasso. For my family of 6, it's not quite big enough as we need a double buggy. We bought it when we found out I was pregnant, great car, isofix. Plenty of room, chiller box in front. Two spare seats to take out non-driver inlaws out with us. Then found out I was carrying twins.

I can still get the kids/pushchair/shopping in. But for a family of 5 it would have loads of room and the economy on mine has been really good. It broke down once, was a fuse. The only thing the aa and my mechanic didn't realise was it doesn't have a fuel pump in the normal sense. So it's symptoms of a fuel pump failure had them talking a lot to Citroen. But other than that, I do love my car and despite it being big, it's easy to drive.

Sidge Thu 10-Jan-13 15:42:16

Very few new cars (especially MPVs) come with a spare tyre these days.

I've had a Grand C4 for 3 years now. I've got the 1.6 diesel manual and it's quite sparky for a big heavy car - good acceleration and goes like the proverbial once you get going.

The boot is huge with the 2 rear seats down (fits DD2s clunky great wheelchair in easily as well as loads of luggage) and still fairly roomy even with the extra seats up. The seats are easy to flip up and down but you wouldn't want to put a child seat on them - like most 7 seaters the 2 rear seats aren't like regular seats, they're slimmer and lighter.

Mine hasn't had any reliability issues at all. It's pretty economical for a big car. The only things that bug me are that the electric windows don't respond quickly enough sometimes, there's no heated front windscreen and the CD player has chewed up some of my CDs.

I preferred my Ford S-Max by miles but the Grand C4 is a prefectly reasonable (and much cheaper) substitute.

Tincletoes Thu 10-Jan-13 15:39:26

I chose one as my company car and I am already looking forward to giving it back. I really don't enjoy it at all. Yes it's big and great for getting my 3 under 6s around, but it's plasticky and just feels so cheap.

But then again they are obviously affordable! If money were no object - I'd get a cmax. Clearly Citroen's are loads cheaper. However I would weigh up if you really really need 7 seats or could you get a wide 5 seater.

Also depends how much you enjoy driving!

signet Thu 10-Jan-13 15:34:56

I don't know why people say don't buy a French car. It's ridiculous. We've just bought a second citreon - the c3 because they are so reliable and inexpensive to fix if something does go wrong. We've had ours for 2 years and not a single problem. Last car was also french - peugeot and was fab for 15 years!

snowballashoebox Thu 10-Jan-13 15:33:59

what hannah said.

signet Thu 10-Jan-13 15:32:44

I love love love my c4 grand Picasso.

Absolutely right that they don't come with a spare tyre but lots of 7 seaters don't and it's never been a problem for us.

Incredibly economic with fuel and pretty cheap to tax and insure compared to lots of others.

Very spacious and the back seats fold down very easily for when dh wants to pretend he's driving a van...usually when he wants to go to the tip. Boot is huge even with just the very back seats down. We can fit all our camping gear for a week and 3 children in the car easily.

Middle back seat folds down flat so with our three we have them spread out in the car and they have tons of space without being able to reach each other to poke/hit which is a bonus.

Very easy to drive, lovely all round without being too expensive. Did I already say I love mine?

HannahsSister40 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:26:53

Do not buy a French car.
That is all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now