Best 7 seater car when have 4 DC under 4

(22 Posts)
jemstipp Mon 01-Jul-13 16:26:25

Volvo XC90. That is all

Thirstysomething Mon 01-Jul-13 16:20:40

Sorry, this post was meant to go in a different thread!

Thirstysomething Mon 01-Jul-13 14:24:07

We have a Bongo and although I love it, it is a pain in the neck getting toddlers in and out of it - especially with an 8 month bump getting in the way. I wish it had doors on both sides and I wish that it was easier to get into the rear seats and get the seatbelts. I think this would be easier with a split rear seat - but we have the fixed sliding rear seat because we thought it would give us more boot space.
I am dreading using it with a baby seat which I will have to take in and out to get kids in the rear seats. At the moment I have 6yo in the corner rear, 4 yo in the sliding door side rear, 1 yo in non-door side of the first rear row (if you know what i mean) and will put baby on the near side of the front rear row - but as I say, will have to move the baby seat every time to get kids in the rear rear... aaaargh.
Still looking for the perfect seven seater, which can fit four kids, two or three adults, plus dogs and buggies in the boot...
I don't think it exists!

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Wed 29-May-13 10:51:59

They may not be within your price range new, but it's worth checking Mumsnet Cars' list of the best 10 seven-seaters, then looking into used prices for ones that tick your boxes, to see if this brings them into your budget.

snay Tue 28-May-13 23:19:17

Maybe its too late for you but I like Ford C-Max. Its ideal car for 4 kids. The middle seat on the second row can disappear in one of seats which creates an nice space for children to go easily to the rear seats. it has also sliding doors which makes much easier go in and out.
you check here for more 7 seater cars

sookiesucksvamps Sun 20-Jan-13 13:32:33

Have had 2 vauxhall zafiras and loved them 5 kids and buggy or 4 kids and all camping gear no problem

glitterdust Sun 20-Jan-13 13:27:55

We love love our ford smax. You could use one of the seats in the boot, leave the other one flat and still have room for a buggy etc....

Jojay Sun 20-Jan-13 13:23:45

We've got a Fiat Multipla, which sits 3 in the front, 3 in the back and still leaves a decent boot for a double buggy. All seats are equal size. it's been great for us, and we had 4 under 5 when our twins were born.

pinkyponk67 Sun 20-Jan-13 13:20:45

Personally I would not bother about Isofix fittings, except possibly for fitting (most likely stage 0 infant carrier type) car seats which you regularly move in and out of the car. Car seats can be fitted safely using the seatbelt (as long as you do it correctly). We never move DDs seat out of the car so an Isofix base would not be of any extra use to us.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 19-Jan-13 15:46:36

I'm a childminder and have a galaxy and love it, I still get a double and single pushchair in the boot with all the seats up and it's lovely to drive.

dekretser Sat 19-Jan-13 14:26:30

Did some searching and found a 2011 VW Sharan for £2.5k less so we bought it. Fuel consumption averages at 50mpg and car tax is £135 for the year. There's enough room in the boot for what we want on a day to day basis with 7 seats up and tons with the 3rd row folding flat. We also have a roof box we can use and when going on holiday will have everything bar clothes loaded in the folding camper we'll be towing. As I understand it apart from the name the new Sharan is a complete redesign. We looked at the Galaxy but the 3rd row seats aren't isofix. We also looked at older cars but realistically we will be keeping this for years so bit the bullet.

PootlePosyPerkin Fri 11-Jan-13 23:11:59

I have a Galaxy. Great car, the back row of seats are exactly the same size (and in fact the same seats) as the other 5 seats.

Downside is, there's bugger all boot space when all 7 seats are in use.

Myliferocks Fri 11-Jan-13 23:10:26

I had a Chrysler Grand Voyager when I had to fit in 3 booster seats and 2 baby seats.
The thing I loved most about the car was the seat configuration which was 2-2-3.
The worse thing was the fuel consumption

zumo Fri 11-Jan-13 23:05:53

4 kids and all the stuff you need to shift it has to be a Van type, Bongo Toypota Granvia VW T4 / T5 etc.
No car has the same amount of room

Thirstysomething Thu 10-Jan-13 09:27:10

Does the Sharan have lots of boot space even when using all the seats?

Oodhousekeeping Wed 09-Jan-13 20:23:27

I'm not getting any on autotrader within 60 miles. Must live in the wrong place!

WMittens Wed 09-Jan-13 20:20:59

Autotrader is working again, and across the country there are 182 Sharans listed between £0 and £8K, 170 Seat Alhambra* and 471 Ford Galaxies.

*Alhambra already sounds plural to me

Oodhousekeeping Wed 09-Jan-13 19:42:19

wmittens which site? I'm struggling to find them at that price?

zumo Sun 06-Jan-13 10:47:39

I have a Mazda Bongo and cant fault it
It can seat 8 adults with plenty of leg room, they range from £1000 to 9000, depending on age etc.
Mine was £1200 as it needed some work, but its Automatic, massive sun roof, power steering, electric blinds on all the windows, Air con, heating in the front and rear so you can have it at different temps, its just ideal for family days out etc
MPG 22 around town 30 on a run, ok this is low but our alternative was to take two cars
www.bongofury.co.uk
Even has its own forum for info.

WMittens Fri 04-Jan-13 20:47:32

In fact, those 8 cars I found were all under £7K

WMittens Fri 04-Jan-13 20:46:30

Today we have been and looked at the VW Sharan which has 5 Isofix seats including the 2 on the 3rd row, by far the best and ticks all our needs but the cheapest is £18k (ouch!!).

Why not find a cheaper one then? I've just had a quick look (on a classified site not known for people carriers, because Autotrader is being a pain in the arse) and found 8 under £10K.

The Seat Alhambra is the same car rebadged, and the Ford Galaxy is very similar.

dekretser Fri 04-Jan-13 16:14:39

We're currently looking at investing in a 7 seater. We need to fit in 3 toddler seats and 1 baby seat (although give it 9 months and we'll need another toddler seat). We've looked at the Peugeot 5008 and the VW Touran but have concerns about the stability of the 2 back seats to have toddler seats on them. We don't have 4 DC ourselves just 2 but support our niece who has 2 DC so regularly need to have 4 in the car. Today we have been and looked at the VW Sharan which has 5 Isofix seats including the 2 on the 3rd row, by far the best and ticks all our needs but the cheapest is £18k (ouch!!). Does anyone have a 7 seater with 4 kids seats in and the third row isn't isofix? Would love to hear people's experiences. Realistically whatever we by will need to last us at least 5-7 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now