Repair or sell?? WWYD?

(8 Posts)
Fivemoreminutesmummy Sat 29-Dec-12 19:28:41

I have a 2005 Citroen c2 (bought brand new by me) but it unfortunately has some engine problem and needs new brake pads. All this work totals around £800-900. Looking on auto trader I think the car is only worth £1000. I am totally clueless about cars but does anyone know what to do for the best? Sell it either for scrap or very cheap with the work still to be done or just do the work and continue with the car as long as possible.

I guess I don't want to throw money at a fairly old car when it might develop another expensive fault in a few months.
Any advice much appreciated.

Kahlua4me Sat 29-Dec-12 19:34:42

All depends really on how much you like the car and if you have the money to buy a new car.
Yes it will cost to get the repairs done but will cost more to buy something new. Also if you have had it from new, you know the history and previous problems.
If you have looked after it so far Probably better to get repairs done.

millymae Sat 29-Dec-12 20:12:05

I feel your pain as I'm in this situation with my car - even though it's got 140,000 miles on the clock I've decided that better the devil you know than one you don't. I'm lucky in that once it came out of warranty it's been regularly serviced by one mechanic who I trust implicitly and although he can give me no guarantees as to what might happen in the future his view is that it's worth repairing. I'm happy to fork out this time because so far it's been a brilliant little motor that has cost me minimal amounts of money to keep on the road and has never let me down when I've been out.

WMittens Sat 29-Dec-12 20:22:24

What's wrong with the engine?

Brake pads are about a maintenance item and not a factor in whether to scrap a car or not.

Let's assume that £900 sorts your car out sufficiently that it runs fine for the next 7 years - not a bad spend.

WMittens Sat 29-Dec-12 20:32:55

Just been trying some maths on this:

Say you paid £8000 for the C2 new in 2005 and it's now worth £1000 in repaired condition (keeping the number simple for me). £7000 depreciation of 7 years, or £1000 per year (told you, simple numbers wink); if the repairs cost you £900 and the car lasts for one more year, it's cost you less to keep going than your average annual loss through depreciation (although in reality, in a year's time it may be worth only e.g. £800).

Fivemoreminutesmummy Sat 29-Dec-12 22:05:23

The mumsnet jury has spoken. Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'll get the repairs done. Just for info it was the injector something that was the problem and something else but I forget what. (Told you I'm rubbish at this kind of thing) thanks again all.

SantasENormaSnob Mon 31-Dec-12 18:10:32

A citroen?

Chances are something else will go wrong almost immediately angry

zumo Sun 06-Jan-13 10:53:02

My trusty Peugeot estate ( possibly the same engine ) has just done 192000 miles, I had a similar issue two years ago, I spent close to £700 on it in a couple of weeks, but its still going.
I am all for just keeping them, if you scrap it £100? spend £5000 on another, well £5000 will keep you existing car going for several years.
We must not loose sight of cars being a tin box to cart us and our junk around in.
The kids will remember the trip to the beach but not the car they went in
You have done the best thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now