Honda Jazz recall

(9 Posts)
jjazz Thu 20-Dec-12 16:30:50

Took it to local Honda dealership today. They spent 40 mins or so stripping it down and have 'cleaned it up' and put it all back together. No fault was found apparently but it is working fine now with no bad smell.... I will wait and see. Oh and no charge... just a sit in warm waiting area with telly, toys which DS age 3 approved of and complimentry coffee offered. Cant complain. xx

WMittens Wed 19-Dec-12 22:10:32

gallicgirl

Never heard of switches wearing out. Does that happen?

It certainly does, the switches are (most commonly) moving parts so suffer from wear when used, and cheap switchgear can wear to the point of failure, or work its way loose, or get damaged through vibration. French and Italian cars tend to have a reputation for shoddy electrics.

gallicgirl Wed 19-Dec-12 22:09:23

You could try clubjazz.org for info.

gallicgirl Wed 19-Dec-12 22:00:27

Actually I had a problem with the replacement window switch on my Jazz recently - 8 years old. I was thinking of calling the dealership to see if there's a problem. It wouldn't stay closed, got to the top then went down again and I had to turn the engine off at the right point to keep it closed. Now the automatic continuous close/open function has failed.

Never heard of switches wearing out. Does that happen?

bureni Wed 19-Dec-12 21:51:25

I doubt if you will get a free repair for a 4-5 year old car, probably a faulty worn out window switch which is not that difficult to replace nor expensive. does the switch get warm or smoke during operation?

WMittens Wed 19-Dec-12 21:42:13

2007/2008 model, if it falls under this recall money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/companies/Honda_recall/

bureni Wed 19-Dec-12 21:22:13

How old is the car?

WMittens Wed 19-Dec-12 21:19:29

I don't know if the work will be free, but would recommend you do it anyway, if it has the potential to cause a fire.

The recall work will have had some sort of parts/labour warranty on it, but it may have only been 12 months. Contact them and ask.

The other option is to take out a third party warranty, don't use the window for a couple of months, then claim from them. Not exactly ethical...

jjazz Tue 18-Dec-12 22:12:20

My Honda was recalled in 2010 along with several thousand others for a faulty electric window switch. Apparently there was a risk of water getting in a potentially causing a fire. The job was done (at the local Honda dealership) and until now there has been no problem. This week the window has begun to stick when opened and the motor seems to struggle to close it. More worringly I can also smell burning when I try to operate the window. Am I entitled to return to the Honda dealership and have this looked at for free? the car was bought privately and is not under any type of warranty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now