so, bought a ford galaxy, but having a dim moment re. diesel pumps...

(10 Posts)
KMR281 Wed 28-Nov-12 09:56:00

so, got car a few weeks ago, driving is fine, and nearly used to how massive it is now for parking etc. however, filling up the diesel tank - I may be daft (quite likely, at 8months pregnant too) but the pump seems to be very slow, and not work in the same way as a petrol pump - is it just me being a fool, or is there a knack to using a diesel pump?? honestly, took about ten mins plus today of careful holding of the pump's 'trigger' to get 35litres in the tank (about half full) including many cut outs - then I gave up. If I pull up the trigger bit to the top (as I would have done with old petrol car) it cuts out. have to hold it at a particular point, or no diesel is forthcoming...

Fenton Wed 28-Nov-12 10:01:52

I haven't noticed my diesel taking any longer to fill than the old petrol one.

I would say it's the pump not your tank - have you found this happening more than once or just today? - and do you always go to the same pump?

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 28-Nov-12 10:11:51

The car I have now is the first petrol car I've had in 10 years.

Can't say I've noticed a difference. Sorry!

Try a different garage maybe? Don't know, maybe you're just a bit weird wink

Poledra Wed 28-Nov-12 10:18:11

Sounds like a knackered pump to me grin I haev a Ford Galaxy and I haven't noticed any difference in filling a diesel vs. a petrol. Apart from the fact it takes 70 litres to fill the tank from empty, which takes a long time and a second mortgage...

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 28-Nov-12 10:21:31

Bad pump. Use a different garage.
Try not to pass out in shock at the cost of filling the tank.
But on the plus side you can fit a double mattress in the back, enormous radiators, and 5 boxes of billy bookcases, which saves on delivery costs! And take 6 kids on trips.

kennythekangaroo Wed 28-Nov-12 10:27:26

Make sure the pump is in at the right angle or pull it out slightly. I had a car with a dodgy tank that was very fussy about angles.

Poledra Wed 28-Nov-12 10:32:51

I've fitted a chest freezer in the back of mine grin

Poledra Wed 28-Nov-12 10:33:06

'Tis just a Tranny van in its Sunday clothes, really.

KMR281 Wed 28-Nov-12 11:10:08

ok, so it's clearly just me then - thought as much smile (but will try re-angling the pump as per Kenny's post too)
haven't tried putting a chest freezer in the back yet, but give it time...

Or use HGV fuelling (I needed 2 hands on pump - quick tho)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now