Tell me what car to buy and how to buy it!

(5 Posts)
DaveAlm Wed 28-Nov-12 16:50:45

Wmittens is absolutely right! It's the cheapest way to do it. I get about 25MPG out my big old German Estate car. Thing is - it only cost £1500 - and the kids could not be driven around in anything safer. Proper luxury for me as well!

Like this...

http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/buy/mercedes/e-class/d-12400/id-7757434/

Can't go wrong.

thenightsky Thu 22-Nov-12 21:22:24

WMittens has said exactly what I was going to grin

WMittens Thu 22-Nov-12 21:19:43

*within, not with (first line)

WMittens Thu 22-Nov-12 21:19:15

Avoid option 2 like the plague -
a) you'll lose so much money with a short space of time, you'll be tied in for 5 years (you'll probably struggle to sell it within that time if you want to swap or if your circumstances change);
b) do you really want to be sat in a Corsa on a long commute? I had one as a courtesy car for a few weeks (punishment for being at fault in an accident) and my 17 mile commute was agony - the most uncomfortable car I have ever had the misfortune to drive.

If you get a cheapy and it lasts, say, two years, you could run two into the ground and be on your third and you'd still have spent less than you would have lost on that brand new Corsa.

Wacky suggestion? Get a big old luxury car with a massive petrol engine that gets about 20 to the gallon - you'll have full leather massaging seats, wood inlay, sat nav and all the toys, a massive boot and still save money over the first year with the Corsa.

Sensible suggestion? Older diesel Audi A4 (or A6 if you want more space/lux). Or a Skoda Fabia, VW Polo, Mazda 3, anything like that.

Fun suggestion? Ford Puma.

LoosingBattle Wed 21-Nov-12 21:55:14

Had a Mini for years, it was my pride and joy. When I went on maternity leave I couldn't justify the expense so sold it. When I went back to work last year I was only working part time and locally so bought a very cheap car which has been great. Two things have now happened:
1) I have got a great new job but a lengthy commute.
2) Old car failed MOT last week (tax also due) will cost £1500 to get it through.

So, new car is calling but what to get?
1) Another cheapy <£2000
2) Brand new - on finance - was thinking Vauxhall Corsa 5 years 0%
3) Nearly new - Mum will lend me the money and pay her back interest free
4) Something else? Or fix current car?

I need a reliable, cheap to run car, we live in the middle of no where, no public transport at all so my car is very important to me. Clueless what is the best thing to do? Have to do it quickly as tax runs out on mine at end of November and can't tax it without MOT. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now