Tell me about your terrific small car...

(97 Posts)
lljkk Sun 18-Nov-12 15:07:50

Looking for something in the lowest road tax band.
Would buy 2nd hand, thinking 2-5 years old.
Petrol probably best (we don't do a huge amount of miles).
4 seater type thing (have ruled out Smart Car).
Much desired are usual nice features like reliability, cheap to run, good fuel economy.
Don't care about style or trendy.

Am already thinking Citroen C1, Micra, Ford Ka.

Any other suggestions?

MrsDeVere Sun 18-Nov-12 16:27:31

I have a Renault Clio, automatic, petrol.
Its my 2nd car and my 2nd Clio. My last one died aged about 20.

This one is a much newer model. I use her for work twice a week (I drive around the borough for my work) and general running about.
She cost about £46 to fill up and I do that every 3 weeks or so.

I could get down to Devon on a full tank in my old car (350miles+)

I can get two cars seats and a booster in the back and my boot is big enough for all my work toys (i.e. a LOT).

MrsDeVere Sun 18-Nov-12 16:28:52

I am well jell of all you Fiat 500 owners. They have always been my favourite. Even before the remodel.

I yearn for a pink one...<sigh>

mantlepiece Sun 18-Nov-12 16:49:24

Fiat Panda... 4 doors, good sized boot. comfy ride and everything tax, insurance, petrol consumption saves ££££'s
Can get it in deisel and 4WD too!

NettoSpookerstar Sun 18-Nov-12 16:53:58

MrsDeVere, someone here has a pink one with a personalised plate, I sooo want it.
I'll probably need a bigger car before long, so will have to get rid of my IQ, and the Fiat will be out of the question too (I need a wheelchair), and am gutted.
My car isn't pink, but has every pink accessory you can possibly have for it.

justaweeone Sun 18-Nov-12 17:22:56

Fiat 500
Such a good fun car,and even the teenager thinks it is cool!
However read somewhere it is in the top ten of cars that holds it's value so you may need to take that into consideration
Bought mine with 15 delivery miles at a good price but had planned to buy one a couple of years old

MrsDeVere Sun 18-Nov-12 17:32:33

Mine is covered in pink butterflies. Cheap as chips on ebay. grin
Berlingos are good for wc. I love them. So pleasingly square and cute looking.

Not a widely held view though, I will admit.

I've just changed from a Mini one ( lovely , lovely car ) as it was sadly too small .
My primary age children ( when I bought it ) are now 17 & 15 and we couldn't all fit in .
I wanted a fiat 500 , but it was too small , so I have a Peugeot 208 .
It's such a good car to drive .

ivykaty44 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:42:53

When mine gives up the ghost - I will be getting a LPG and petrol car, there is no way I want to keep having to pay 1.34 for petrol when LPG s 70p a litre round here.

PickledFanjoCat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:43:41

I would have a fiat 500.

PickledFanjoCat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:44:27

I can't have one. Have one for me!

BeaWheesht Sun 18-Nov-12 17:45:23

We have a Kia picanto - very small and not much room in boot but otherwise fab.

BeaWheesht Sun 18-Nov-12 17:47:12

Oh just noticed Kia comment - why do you hate the 7 seated? We have 2 kias - one small and one big and they've been ideal (2 kids and a dog and us)

sneezecakesmum Sun 18-Nov-12 17:47:50

I have a Toyota Aygo. 4 doors so great with kids. Cheap to run. £30 a year road tax

My daughter owns a toyota IQ - only 2 doors but very roomy in the front and £0 road tax!

sneezecakesmum Sun 18-Nov-12 17:49:02

Former owner of a nissan micra AND a Ford Ka - Both good cars!

slipslider Sun 18-Nov-12 17:49:53

Chrysler Ypsilon...very cheap to run and is half the insurance price of my previous small car.

wonkylegs Sun 18-Nov-12 17:54:26

I have a 55plate 5door Toyota Yaris which I've had from new. In that time despite being thrown around in all situations from motorways to building sites I've never had a problem bar 1 flat tire (cheap to replace) & a cracked windscreen (chip from motorway + freezing temps).
It got me to work everyday in deep snow, has carried all the children's paraphernalia from baby upwards, has seen me through some spectacular flooding. Is cheap to run, insure & maintain and is quite good fun for a small car. Easy to drive & park, bigger inside than you'd expect and generally a bloody good car.
I have a 1.3l, 5door colour collection and will be sad when I finally trade it in(which is not yet)

LapinDeBois Sun 18-Nov-12 18:56:07

Another vote for the i10. Great car. Cheap to buy, and the higher end model has lots of extras (ours has got the works - air con, Isofix, sun roof, electric rear windows, ipod jack, you name it). Very eco to run. But for us the real selling points were three things - a) cheap to buy because not trendy like the Fiat 500, b) 5 year manufacturer warranty, and c) consistently good reviews on things like What Car etc. For about 5k we got a three year old top of the range model in pristine condition with about a thousand miles on the clock.

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 18-Nov-12 19:04:55

WE've got the Toyota Aygo. Its fab. Agree with what has already been said about it. REally nice to drive

Hulababy Sun 18-Nov-12 19:08:48

I have a Fiat 500 convertible. I love it! I did have the non convertible originally and then replaced it with my current one. Had this one nearly 2 years now and still no other "properly" small car I want instead. I love the way it looks, it has all the gadegtty stuff I want and it is a doddle to park anywhere - I have to park on narrow busy heavily parked up roads every day for work - converitble has parking sensors too so can park anywhere! I take it on the motorway when travelling further and it performs perfectly well.

If you just want a good value economical small car - we had an Aygo for a while a few years back. £ for £ it was the best little car we have had.

WilsonFrickett Sun 18-Nov-12 19:27:46

I love, love, love my Fiat 500 and if you're buying second-hand you can often get a lot of extras for your money. The original owner went daft on the spec so I have parking sensors, blue tooth and mp3 port, auto sunroof, red leather seats, decals, sports function (soooo much fun to drive), it's automatic too. It's brilliant. But it is wee.

We looked at lots of 'entry level' cars but the Fiat did spoil it for us. The C1 you mentioned - such a cute car from the outside and goes well, but inside it's all plastic and sliders and clunky and cheap.

That said, I like the little Toyota, we had one as a replacement car for a few weeks.

MsElleTow Sun 18-Nov-12 19:35:19

We've got a VW Polo 1.4tdi that DH uses for work as he does a 49 mile commute. It is really economical and is lovely to drive, it takes me back to my youth! The road tax is £35 a year.

We looked at the Fiat 500 and loved it but were worried about the reliability of them because of the amount of miles DH is doing. If we needed a car to potter about in we'd have bought it no doubt!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 18-Nov-12 19:53:46

I have an Audi A1. Bloody love it. Good on fuel, goes like shit which is good for my motorway commute.

ThisIsMummyPig Sun 18-Nov-12 20:06:33

I loved my Toyota Yaris, I had a 53 reg from new and loved it. I now have a skoda roomster, as we just couldn't all fit in - It is a bit more than your 10K, but is very practical.

Nothing like as nice to drive as the Yaris though.

I love my Toyota Yaris, for all the reasons other Yaris owners have already said. Mine's a 59 reg, 1.3, 5 door, cheap to run, £35 road tax, good sized boot and plenty of leg room. We use it as a main family car, we only use DH's bigger car for him to go to work and holidays.

chaosandcupcakes Sun 18-Nov-12 20:14:13

I have a ford ka. Wanted a fiat 500 but think its a but overpriced because its so pretty. BUT I love my ford. Really economical and reliable. Never had any problems and really nippy round town plus easy to park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now