Tell me about your terrific small car...

(97 Posts)
lljkk Sun 18-Nov-12 15:07:50

Looking for something in the lowest road tax band.
Would buy 2nd hand, thinking 2-5 years old.
Petrol probably best (we don't do a huge amount of miles).
4 seater type thing (have ruled out Smart Car).
Much desired are usual nice features like reliability, cheap to run, good fuel economy.
Don't care about style or trendy.

Am already thinking Citroen C1, Micra, Ford Ka.

Any other suggestions?

DorsetKnob Sun 18-Nov-12 15:10:52

I have a 1 year old Citreon 3, diesel though, averaging at the moment 58 mph and no tax.

VirginiaDare Sun 18-Nov-12 15:14:02

Toyota Yaris. Tiny, very economical, low tax and incredibly reliable.

I have a fiat 500, it's a great car to drive.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 18-Nov-12 15:16:01

Kia piccante is good for a small car and you cant beat the warranty.

I have a fiat panda I love it, it is tiny on the outside and as if by magic massive inside, we fit 2 dogs in the boot and both kids in wiht car seats, I get though 1 tank of fuel a month although couldnt tell you how far and that only costs £40. Best car I have ever had I love it so much.

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 18-Nov-12 15:16:55

We have a mazda 2 5 door sport.

All the wingdings (air bags, climate control, good radio/ audio, electronic windows, stability control, heated windscreens, 1.6 engine) enough room for 4 adults (actually can get three in the back but a bit more of a squash) smallish boot but plenty of room for my weekly shop. We get about 50MPG.

Great fun to drive- sporty looking- love it!

We bought ours 3 months old (ex demo model 500 miles on the clock) in March for 10k It has the same features as the Fiesta titanium but 4k less!

lljkk Sun 18-Nov-12 15:19:19

We have a Kia 7 seater at the moment which I loathe so I can't even contemplate it. Every other suggestion is going on my list, though!

Having said I didn't care about style blush, any opinions on the Fiat 500?

MerryChristMoose Sun 18-Nov-12 15:22:50

I had a Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge. Loved it. Very economical. Made me smile every time I got in it. Coped with a bad English winter surprisingly well.

Milliways Sun 18-Nov-12 15:23:28

I have a Toyota Aygo (same as the C1)

It is £20 annual road tax and Insurance group 1, Petrol and very economical. However, it is our 2nd car and if it was our ONLY car I may want to upgrade to the Yaris for the extra space.

In the Aygo boot I can fit 2 of those Huge Asda shopping bags + a normal one or a wine carrier bag in the middle! For extra shopping we use the back seats.

We have done long journeys in her and she is fine.

JuliaFlyte Sun 18-Nov-12 15:29:16

I an DYING to get a Fiat 500, I dream about it. They are soooo cool. At the moment I drive a Toyota Previa, 7 seater and long for the day when I'm not a glorified taxi driver and can nip into town in style!

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Sun 18-Nov-12 15:30:48

Ive got a hyundai i10, small boot but other than that great and small

Doinmummy Sun 18-Nov-12 15:31:50

I have a toyota IQ it is a 4 seater but only just. 0 road tax good on petrol

I'm about to trade in my 3 year old Fiat 500 for a new one. I didn't even consider looking at any other type of car as I love my 500 so much.

Catsmamma Sun 18-Nov-12 15:37:03

I adore all the tiny fiats...have had a few cinquecentos, my favourite was the soleil with the roll back vinyl roof!

Currently have a seicento, the last one before the new 500, but if funds allowed I'd have a 500 in a heartbeat.

Have always found fiats brilliant fun to drive, very nippy and speedy, great town cars. And have driven them in very bad snow conditions, they are unstoppable imo! And yes, we do have proper snow, NE Scotland so have had some very bad winters!

NettoSpookerstar Sun 18-Nov-12 15:37:15

I've an IQ and love it.
Incredibly nippy and so cheap to run.
Mine is a motability car so I just pay for petrol.

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Sun 18-Nov-12 15:37:41

Oh road tax for mine is 35 btw so v low

babesdontlie Sun 18-Nov-12 15:38:59

Punto every time for me, low insurance, low running costs and with the city button can be parked on a sixpence!

BRANdishingMistletoe Sun 18-Nov-12 15:39:19

I like to join with the Fiat 500 love-in. Like MerryChristMoose mine makes me smile when I drive it. It's the lowest tax band here (in Ireland) and I once drove it on my normal routine for a day short of three weeks on one tank of petrol, which worked out at €15 per week at the time. Mine is an automatic which makes it effortless in stop-start city traffic.

nannyl Sun 18-Nov-12 16:02:21

i was always very happy with my clio

and it was even possible to get 3 child seats in the back

LaminateFlaw Sun 18-Nov-12 16:05:44

Another Hyundai i10 lover here. When our estate died we did (just about!) a weekend away in it with 2 adults, a 13 year old and a 6 year old.

HoobleDooble Sun 18-Nov-12 16:06:15

We have a Suzuki Alto as our little runaround, really cheap to run but roomy enough for us, a carseat, a grandma and the weekly shop. Won't win any awards for coolness but we love it.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sun 18-Nov-12 16:12:53

I have a Mini Cooper, but the diesel version. Always driven new Minis, onto my 5th one now!!!

I pay £20 a year road tax, get 53mpg but it's so torque-y that I can outrun most folks at the light <heavy right foot emoticon>.

It handles like a go-kart, is so much fun to drive. <mini nut>

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Nov-12 16:17:46

V. happy with my dull as ditchwater but cheap as chips Skoda Fabia. It's the TDi, £35 road tax and does 60 mpg on the motorway/45 ish mixed.

LetUsPrey Sun 18-Nov-12 16:26:26

Another Hyundai i10 owner. Love it. Had it since new nearly 3.5 years ago. I think it's economical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now