What cars have you had/driven and which was the best/worst?

(136 Posts)
MilkNCereal Tue 06-Nov-12 10:05:03

I've owned a

Vauxhall Corsa (loved it, cheap and cheerful!)
Nissan Almera (HATED it, horrible smelly thing)
Rover 200 (old man's car, it embarrassed me)
Ford Focus (love it, nice and nippy)

I've driven a

Citroen Picasso (Middle age-mobile - not cool)
Ford Focus C-Max (loved it!)
Vauxhall Zafira (loved it, despite how uncool it looks)

Out of all of them - I prefer the Focus. I WANT an AUDI A5 [in love]

car geeks anonymous

NorthernNumpty Sat 08-Dec-12 18:39:43

Worst = either Citroen C1 - the parcel shelf is basically an egg box and it would be quicker to walk (hire care) OR a Mustang (hired in US, utterly terrible car)

Best = our current car an Audi RS6 sensible estate with a Lamborghini engine

Dp bought me two cars in about 2003/4. Both crappers, and I still cannot drive.

A very old Panda which had go faster stripes up the side (was towed away by the council, despite having tax, by mistake. I was filled with glee about this as it was awful looking).

Then, a C Reg Metro, in a dirty cream colour. It was worse than the Panda- if you drove over 20mph, the boot would flip open. It constantly broke down, and I had to help dp push it up a steep hill several times. It died when we ran out of petrol one night, had to walk 20 minutes home in the rain. We got back and our neighbour offered us some petrol he had in a container. We walked the 20 minutes back, filled the car up- it still didn't go.

It was water, not petrol.

That was the end of that.

We now have a brand new Mini Clubman. I love it. But I cannot drive it.

CrazyChristmasLady Sat 08-Dec-12 20:54:01

Best car I have driven:-

Aston Martin DB9. grin

andyinlondon Sun 09-Dec-12 00:18:12

have had or driven to many to mention over the years but the worst by far was anything french, every one was rubbish.
the best have been mainly japanese nissans with an old shape primera and a pathfinder as favorites, but an honourable mention to my old focus and mondeo as pretty good.

jepa Sun 09-Dec-12 09:14:56

Best Car Ever - is my Saab Turbo 93- devastated the day Saab closed. My Dad had a Saab when I was younger and I loved it then so my ambition (car wise ) was to own a Saab. Fine day when I eventually picked my Saab up from the dealer. I intend to keep driving it till it falls apart.
Worst Car Ever - most definitely was my Vauxhall Zafira. Was very sleep deprived when I bought it - like driving a baked bean can on wheels
In my 20s drove a Peugeot 205 GTi - like the wind and a very nippy Ford Puma
Once the kids have left home I fancy a vintage Mercedes SLK assuming I have any money left by then that is

grimbletart Sun 09-Dec-12 15:33:56

Favourite - Toyota Celica - the scalded cat version. Not really practical though to get out of if your knees are a bit dodgy as mine are.

Affectionate memories - first car - VW Beetle (the proper original Beetle not the soppy imitation ones they now call Beetles). So old it had no fuel gauge - just switch to reserve tank and then you had to remember it was less than quarter full and fill up reasonably quickly.

Since country living have used a small three door Rav 4 4x4 with tow bar (to pull all those people who sneer at 4 x 4s out of ditches in the snow grin.

sieglinde Sun 09-Dec-12 19:20:29

Best car ever was a Ferrari Dino 246. Yes, really. No, it wasn't mine.

Worst was a hire car in the early 90s. Weak engine, and rubbish brakes. Twas a Fiat.

Can I just say how much I hate Clarkson?

lapsedorienteerer Sun 09-Dec-12 21:11:33

Thought my best was Volvo V70 T5 but on reflection, after nearly 10 years & 110,000 miles I'm not sure it was as reliable as I had been expecting. Against all previous prejudice I now drive a Hyundai ix35 and I love it!

Previous cars were VW Polo, Fiat Panda (x 2) and Renaults.

octanegirl Sun 09-Dec-12 21:22:21

Most fun that I've owned:
Mitsubishi Evo X

Most useful that I've owned:
Probably A6 Allroad

Most fun I've driven:
BMW 1 M Coupé

Most mental I've driven:
Nissan GT-R

octanegirl Sun 09-Dec-12 21:23:24

Oh worst -my mothers Vauxhall Frontera. What an utter hunk of shite.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sun 09-Dec-12 21:50:11

My first, and worst car was a Fiat Uno, D reg, Hated it. Every bastarding moment of trouble it gave me.

Bought an original Mini and ran it into the ground. Then had a Nissan Micra, which ran a close second to the hated Fiat. This was followed by 5 new Minis (there was a brief fling with a Freelander and an MG in the middle of all those Minis). Best was my Cooper S in purple, we used to call it the Dairy Milk car as its paint job was the exact same colour!

Also driven an Mini Metro, heavily tuned Vauxhall Corsa SRi, an automatic original Mini, a BMW 1 series M Sport, BMW 3 series M Sport, Range Rover vogue, BMW 5 series M Sport.........

prism Sun 09-Dec-12 22:36:34

some highlights:

Citroen DS (I had 2) simply wonderful. If they made them again now with proper steel there would be no point having anything else.

Mk2 Polo- brilliant. Gave it away to the undertaker at my mum's funeral in some kind of cathartic transference of karma.

Citroen XM V6- I had a few XMs- this was my favourite as it was so chuckable yet so hilariously comfortable. Beautiful and fast.

Lexus RX 400h (my current car) Even better than I thought it would be- any excuse to go out in it is a good one. Ride quality is atrocious for such an expensive car but I don't care, it's so beautifully made and serene in traffic.

Honda Jazz (DP's car) Probably the best all-purpose vehicle ever made. It will outlive us.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe - my best car ever. You have to have spanners growing out of your hands to own one, but it's worth it, and having said that it never actually stopped me going anywhere, even if I did have to manage without reverse gear or a starter motor or whatever happened to be on strike that week. Drop-dead gorgeous, cornered on rails, sumptuously comfortable. Designed by a genius, or possibly God.

notnagging Mon 10-Dec-12 06:40:17

Worst car by far - ford fiesta
I was asked my best car for my iTunes password & made me very nostalgic. Can't decide between the vw golf of my youth or my Mazda mpv. But thinking about it both cost loads in repairs.
I would love a vw caravelle or anything else mr.t likegrin

funnyperson Mon 10-Dec-12 07:23:15

How is it that you all have owned so many cars? I am on my fourth- each one lasts about a decade- Vw, Saab, Rover, Mercedes. I was the fondest of the Saab with its ski flap.

Would have really liked- 2cv/beetle/mini/smart/mg but was never allowed to be that basic. Incidentally the Mercedes has serious boot size issues.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Dec-12 09:14:23

<ahem> Clearly lots of cars you loved (and hated) on this thread. Can we ask you to share this info with other Mumsnetters by adding a car review please? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes and every little helps another parent to choose that perfect runaround or avoid a useless rustbucket.

headfairy Mon 10-Dec-12 09:17:25

first car.. Ford Fiesta, really loved having my own car but it was cheap and it showed.
Next car... VW Golf Mk2, loved it, really tough and built to last, but cost a fortune in servicing
3rd car.... Citroen ZX, horrible build quality, fell to bits, really nasty
current car.... Volvo V50. Love it, tough, robust, well built. Expensive to service at main dealer but it's relatively new so we were trying to maintain it's value as long as possible.

I can't believe I've only had 4 cars in 25 years of driving!

headfairy Mon 10-Dec-12 09:18:22

oops, sorry CatherineMumsnet... x post.

I wouldn't want anyone to rely on my review of an X reg Ford Fiesta Popular 1.1 from 25 years ago grin

Best is current Jaaag XF - but think the new sportsbrake looks pretty fab and then there's the lovely F-Type just launched....
Really liked my Alfa 33 Cloverleaf too - but had quite a few leccie issues
Worst bloomin metro I learnt to drive in years ago....

Ah, Alfa leccy issues grin Mine had a speaker that would only work if you locked all the doors (or popped out the cup holder) and the onboard computer thingy went haywire and said everything was broken if the outdoor temperature went below 0 or above about 27.

RudolphiaRedNose Mon 10-Dec-12 09:39:49

Owned 2 astras, a golf and a shitey pile of wank citoren fecking saxo. I liked the golf best, because it felt so solid and chunky and reliable.

Saxo was like driving a sardine can and was soooo ugly and rubbish. Not because it was small, I like minis for example, but it was just so bleh.

I LOVE driving MIL's range rover blush and when I drove a very old landrover around the rainforests of central america (while volunteering) that was probably the best ever. Driving a large 4x4 properly off-road - so exciting.

Have also driven a hired Focus which I liked a lot.

bureni Mon 10-Dec-12 13:50:06

Loved my old Citroen BX Athena 1.6, low to the ground with lovely plush suspension a bit like driving a go-cart. I still prefer my old Volvos 940/850 t5r estates, the 850 is very bland looking but is a real sleeper with very neutral handling and great drive comfort and durablity.
Worst cars I have ever owned were a citroen Saxo which had the build quality of a biscuit tin and a Skoda Fabia 1.4 which had the ride comfort/build quality and power of a cheap chinese moped running on diesel, it was a total pile of junk.

melika Mon 10-Dec-12 14:07:55

Best car for me and I've had loads!
'05 plate diesel Ford Mondeo Estate.

38 to gallon around town, plenty of room in it too.

foofooyeah Mon 10-Dec-12 16:10:51

Best: Jaguar XJ6: fast bliss
Worst: 2CV: bots fell off it, windows opened randomly, horn short circuited (v embarrassing) but I di have an awful lot of fun in it!

gettingeasier Mon 10-Dec-12 18:57:23

I never admit this in RL but god I love my BMW 330i estate it is such an attractive car and bloody heaven to drive

WMittens Mon 10-Dec-12 19:28:21

lovely plush suspension a bit like driving a go-cart

grin I take it you've not driven many karts in that case, haha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now