Will the Toyota Yaris be too small?

(3 Posts)
sanserif Sat 27-Oct-12 22:44:32

I've never owned a car or even really driven one. Got my driver's license years ago and haven't driven since but want to get a cheap, secondhand one now since with the kids I feel like it would sometimes make life easier and increase the amount of stuff we could do. We've got a 1y.o and 3.5y.o. Live in central London so wouldn't be using this daily, it's more of a weekend trips/errands type car though it might also be nice to use for longer trips.

What I'm wondering is: am I going to regret getting a Yaris instead of say, a Corolla, and always be wishing I had more space or will I be happy to have a small, maneuverable car, especially given my lack of driving experience?

FeersumEndjinn Sat 27-Oct-12 22:58:43

I have a Yaris - I love it, but it certainly isn't roomy.

Pros - it is hugely maneuverable and easy to park which is a huge blessing in the city. It's pretty fuel efficient but not so lightweight you feel vulnerable.

Although it is short, it is quite tall for a car of its category so you can fit in quite a bit if you don't mind piling stuff up and not being able to see out of the rear window and have a packing strategy such that your piles won't collapse on top of the DC. There's also quite a bit of space in the footwells under the DCs feet which will take 3 or 4 airport-carry-on type bags.

We can quite comfortably fit 2 adults, 2 kids in car seats and enough stuff for us to be away for a holiday, including a travel cot. Having a smallish car does encourage us to be strict with ourselves about how much junk to take of course. However, when we went camping and needed there to be room for a tent and various additional items of out-door equipment, my DH caught the train so we could fill up the passenger seat volume with stuff. We debated whether we ought to be getting a "family" car at that point, and concluded that it wasn't worth paying for the additional petrol to power an extra half-ton of additional metal during the 99% of the time when we don't need the extra space, just so as to avoid this kind of inconvenience 1% of the time.

So I guess the question will be how often will you go camping?

Are you sure it's not worth joining a car club instead? Friend of mine fits a lot in a Yaris. Is it worth considering a tow bar and small trailer, or roof box, for the odd camping trip?

We have fitted 2adults (up to 6'2") and 2 children into a Citroen C3. Only just considering something larger (they are 3 and 5) but only because car ageing too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now