Which 7 seater car to buy?

(116 Posts)
defuse Wed 24-Oct-12 23:51:36

Hi,

I need to purchase a 7 seater car. Dont have a clue whats out there. Any ideas which 7 seaters are spacious and economical as well as not too expensive to buy? I have heard good things about skoda yeti but dont know if that comes in a 7 seater size.

Any knowledgeable mnetters out there? smile

SnowWhite2 Sat 25-May-13 03:57:18

hi every body,
I would like to know how good is ford fiesta
I also found this article;
bestinclasscars.com/small-cars/kia-rio-with-the-best-front-seat-legroom-among-2013-subcompact-cars/
is it a good car?

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Thu 28-Mar-13 10:28:49

Morning all. Just thought you'd like to know that we've published a guide to the Top 10 seven-seaters. Do take a look - we think it's essential reading <modest>.

Turniphead1 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:35:31

I love my VW Sharan. It's one if the newer ones that has the sliding doors. Awesome.

chrisp1 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:35:40

Personally my favourite is the X5 although the Discovery 4 is another great choice if you're looking for something a bit different. The X5 looks pretty stylish too which helps! The main problem though is the cost, but a second hand one from around 2005-2007 is somewhere in the £8-10k region. Obviously still quite expensive but a lot more reasonable than a new one. Watch out if you're getting one though as the saloon version is just a 5 seater, it's the other model that's the 7 seater. Not that great at off-roading if you need the 4x4, but as good as it gets on the tarmac.

janew57 Thu 03-Jan-13 05:31:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 03-Nov-12 17:44:39

We've just bought a peugeot 5008. I'll tell you all about it in a couple of weeks once we've actually got it and driven it a bit!

PoppyAmex Sat 03-Nov-12 17:37:47

Hapless it's in the boot by the door, there's a lever just lift it and presto you have a shopping bag compartment which stops your bags flying all over the boot.

It's very handy.

HaplessHousewife Tue 30-Oct-12 18:23:40

I love my XC90, it's heavy on diesel and tyres but I forgive it because it's comfy and safe. It also has a Winter Mode button so driving in snow and ice is easy.

How did I not know about the shopping bag compartment?

PanicMode Tue 30-Oct-12 06:10:53

Harassed - Yes, both 2.2dci

I am very aggrieved on your behalf - the second, recent failure resulted in us expecting a massive bill and the garage called US to say Renault were going to cover the majority of the cost - we didn't think for a second that was an option!

I don't know what we will get next - but as we live in a town, I don't want a 'Chelsea tractor'?. That said, we do need a big 7 seater as DH is 6ft 6 and all of the children are above averagely tall!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 29-Oct-12 20:12:55

We've narrowed it down to the Mazda 5 or the peugeot 5008. We're in the market for an occasional 7 seater, so we're not looking for anything as big as the s-max or grandis.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 28-Oct-12 23:32:10

If I'd had the cash, I would have replaced our Ctroen Synergie with its succesor - the C8. We all loved that car.
<and it loved us>

defuse Sun 28-Oct-12 23:23:51

Just read through all the replies abd made a list of all cars mentioned along with pros and cons. Now going on internt to find pics and further reviews. Thanks all.

So far peugeot 5008,xc90, c8 and verso are on my interested list.

Sharan, touran, galaxy and smax are on my reliable list.

defuse Sun 28-Oct-12 22:30:41

I have just come back to this thread since posting (been a hectic few days and am amazed at the number of responses!! - and grateful!) am reading through them all currently and will hopefully make up my mind after reading all your experiences. Many thanks. smile

booboomonster Sat 27-Oct-12 10:55:24

Another vote here for the Berlingo, although again, we only have the 5 seater. But I'd say if you are a city dweller, like me, the 7 seater version could really work as it's a very compact car but like a tardis inside.

sandyballs Sat 27-Oct-12 07:58:05

No one seems to have mentioned the Mitsubishi grandis, fab car. 7 proper seats, the two in the very back arent flimsy like the Zafira. Solid and reliable.

XBenedict Fri 26-Oct-12 22:37:53

Wouldn't swap my SMax for anything, lovely car, lots of space & gadgets!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 26-Oct-12 22:36:15

I've looked at that car Bea.

The seats in the very back didn't seem to have a proper space for the occupants feet to go in, no kind of footwell. How have you found them?

bea Fri 26-Oct-12 21:55:25

we've just got a peugeot 5008... about 3 weeks ago after our zafira bit the ghost and have to say... we love it to bits... dh loves to drive it... (had cruise control!) and when driving long distances ( we do a lot!) it's brilliant!

we got diesal and the fuel economy is fab!

3 'proper' seats in the middle... grat smooth and simple action for the extra 2 seats in the back.. plus has airbags... all down the side to cover the extra seats at rear.

Ours has got the panoramic glass roof which is soooo loevly and the kids just think its wonderful to see the stars at night!

Huge boot space.. but nto so much when all seven seats are up!

Very nice and just a fab change from the flippin' zafira!

only problem... quite hard to find secondhand (well teh model we wanted!)

all reviews brilliant definitely a lovely great seven seater!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 26-Oct-12 21:21:04

JollyJackOLantern that's interesting. The main dealer in Cardiff told us that they're not making them any more.

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Oct-12 20:23:27

Another vote for the XC90 here. Really, really comfortable. An unexpected hit with granny because of the handle and wee step to help getting in, as well. Loads if space and really hold their value and are safe.

PiedWagtail Fri 26-Oct-12 20:19:38

We have a 7 seater Kia Carens. we love it. The seats are easy to move round, the car is nice to srive and has great visibility, the kids love the little secret pockets and lights in the back. We tend to only use 5 seats regularly though as the back 2 are in the crumple zone - but they are handy for taking groups of kids out, etc., on short journeys. It's pretty fuel-efficient too with an mmpg of about 42 (the diesel version).

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:55:03

The Mazda 5 rear seats fold flat into the floor too & the boot is massive without them

It's quite a nifty design. Worth a look smile

beachyhead Fri 26-Oct-12 19:42:16

Volvo XC 90 here too. Massive seats for all and versatile in terms of seats up and down configuration. Also the two back seats fold flat so the boot space is great if you only have 5 seats....

Similar problem with dogs to up thread - too high for them to jump into....

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:22:29

sample 10 plate petrol Mazda5 with under 10K miles, 9,500 - look at picture 7 for the boot space with all seats in place. You can fold the small middle middle seat away to give walk-through access to the 2 rear seats.

The 2.0 petrol is supposed to do about 34mpg.

Def worth considering

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:13:26

I had a Mazda5 for a while - I traded it in because it was diesel, over 3 years old, & over 40,000 miles; I don't do a lot of miles & was worried about potential expensive problems with the DPF, EGM etc

BUT I loved it - as Julia says it's really a 6+1 because the middle seat in the middle row is only for occasional use, but apart from that it's fabulous to drive & the sliding doors are sooo useful (& I don't even have small children grin)

I'd get a petrol one now though. Much less risky. Are you looking for new or used, defuse? what's your budget?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now