Which 7 seater car to buy?

(116 Posts)
defuse Wed 24-Oct-12 23:51:36

Hi,

I need to purchase a 7 seater car. Dont have a clue whats out there. Any ideas which 7 seaters are spacious and economical as well as not too expensive to buy? I have heard good things about skoda yeti but dont know if that comes in a 7 seater size.

Any knowledgeable mnetters out there? smile

minimuffin Thu 25-Oct-12 22:49:39

I love love love our Volvo XC90 - so comfortable to drive and as a passenger. Can't imagine having anything else now. Fits 5 in the back (adults or kids) comfortably.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 25-Oct-12 22:52:42

Unfortunately they don't make the 7 seater Berlingo any more, there may be a few on the used car market.

We're looking for an occasional 6/7 seater ATM and will be test driving the grand c max, Mazda 5 and peugeot 5008 ver the weekend.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 25-Oct-12 23:17:04

We changed the lovely old Grand Voyager (which guzzled gas like mad) for the most boring car in the world - S Max 7 seater. I hate it so much and it's the most boring car I've ever owned. I'll never ever have another Ford - it's our first. I've driven for 30 years and never hated a car before. We'll be changing it very very soon. To be fair, it's a lot cheaper than the Chrysler but just so much more horrible.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 25-Oct-12 23:18:33

Agree with the CX90 - had a loan one for a while. That's what we may get next. Discovery seats in the back don't have proper legroom sadly.

JollyJackOLantern Thu 25-Oct-12 23:26:53

Iwishiwasmoreorganised Citroen's website says you can still get a 7 seater berlingo, as does the catalogue I picked up from a Citroen garage 2 weeks ago.

Here : www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars/car-range/Citroen-Berlingo-Multispace/interior/

We have a VW Sharan and we love it. There is loads of space to sit and the seats are all really adjustable and comfy. It's lovely to drive but is stupidly expensive to tax....... We usually leave one of the rear seats in the garage so we have space to put things in the boot, so it woud be nice if someone made some sort of seat storage bag for it so it could be kept clean and dry in the garage (and spider free)!

Mich37 Thu 25-Oct-12 23:50:18

Nissan Serena with out a doubt,, 7seater and still got decent boot space, i was able to get my pram in without collapsing it down, which is defo a bonus. Plenty of room inside aswell due to the seats being layed out as 2seats, 2seats and the 3 seats on the bk row.... My 2ltr was not to bad on petrol, especialy when driving long distants around the UK..Never had no problems or repairs to b done on the older model i had, It was beeeping vandals and pfft thiefs that wrecked mine, smashed a couple of windows, poured Redex (a fuel additive) all over the electrics, it was a right-off, all cause they seen a kids jacket, car seat n a few pennies to thieve :-(

Suzieismyname Fri 26-Oct-12 12:38:45

another vote for toyota verso here, but only if you want the extra 2 seats for occasional use.
best in its class for safety, 5 year warranty, not as expensive as Smax etc, very flexible for seating arrangements (I managed to clamber in and out of the extra seats when I was 8.5 months pregnant with DD2!). It doesn't feel like a big car at all to me.
It's great for us to use on holiday with PILs, with just enough room for a pushchair in the boot.

BirdyBedtime Fri 26-Oct-12 12:49:44

Another vote for the Verso here. We are now on our second (first petrol and second diesel). Fantastic fuel economy. I drive a tiny car (Aygo, we're a bit of a Toyota family!) and the Verso while much bigger, doesn't feel it to drive. The 2 boot seats are fine for DCs and even adults for short-ish journeys, although as others have pointed out you lose most of your boot when they are up. The other good thing is that you can fit 3 car seats in the middle row (with a bit of fiddling with seatbelts) and this row are all independent so great for configuring to transport bulky items. Not long ago we fitted in a single mattress, dismantled bed frame, and all 4 of us (DCs in car seats), all seatbelted and (relatively) safe! They are not as cheap as some but do keep their value pretty well - both times we've bought one-year olds and have had no problems at all.

Florence1205 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:38:44

Hi,
We have had both a galaxy & currently a grand voyager, both have pro's & cons, we have 3 kids

Galaxy- set up 3 seats in middle row 2 seats in back, all independant of each other & removable
Still need to lift a seat up to get to back
Rear doors seemed quite big
Boot space limited but could take both rear seats out when not required

Chrysler- set up, 2 seats in middle with an aisle & 3 seats in the back, can be a bench but ours is leather & a 2/3 split
Sliding doors are great, the kids fling them open without me having heart attack
Changed the interior for the leather so we can now leave 1 seat in back but on the old system we couldn't take the rear seat out if we all needed to go out
All seats can be taken out
Good boot space even with all seats in
Big car, more difficult to park
7 adults & luggage can be in this comfortably (not loads of luggage) wheras the Galaxy really would have struggled with this

HTH

JuliaGulia Fri 26-Oct-12 13:42:45

We have a Mazda 5. It's really 6 + 1 but we can still fit our double buggy in the boot with the 2 boots seats in place.
It's not overly efficient but as I have twins I was sold on the rear sliding doors. Best invention ever.

wasuup3000 Fri 26-Oct-12 13:53:06

I am driving a hire car C$ grand picasso and it is quite powerful considering its size. The seats at the very back are only suitable for children I would say. We looked at most of the 7 seaters on the market. I do like the new Sharan but its out of our price range. We have had an Espace before but if anything wroing it would have to back to the main dealer as it needs special tools in some cases even to change a lightbulb. The Sedona looked good value price wise but costly to maintain and run. Really liked the Galaxy probably best out of all the larger 7 seaters with a Sharan coming in a close 2nd. Out of the middle sized 7 seaters I liked the Touran. The Mazda is only really a 6 seater but you can get a good size engine on it and good spec for the price of a Touran. I also have had a Zafria, good for younger children prob only going to get 2 child/baby seats in there though, can be reliable but costly for Cambelt/clutch changes. Parkers has a good review website and honestjohn.

harrassedswlondonmum Fri 26-Oct-12 15:02:29

PanicMode - thanks for your sympathy! Were yours both 2.2dci's by any chance?

We now have a 7 seater BMW X5 as a company car, which wasn't an option available to us when we bought the espace. Space wise it's not a match for the espace but now we don't need baby/toddler paraphernalia we manage fine. We always go on holiday in it with a roof box and one seat flat, and we just fit everything for 6 of us.

I still feel aggrieved about Renault not offering compensation but over three years on I am trying to put it behind me!!

pipsy76 Fri 26-Oct-12 17:26:50

xc90 lovely!

PosieParker Fri 26-Oct-12 17:46:52

Please consider NCAP. Chryslers fail safety tests.

Mankychester Fri 26-Oct-12 19:07:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:13:26

I had a Mazda5 for a while - I traded it in because it was diesel, over 3 years old, & over 40,000 miles; I don't do a lot of miles & was worried about potential expensive problems with the DPF, EGM etc

BUT I loved it - as Julia says it's really a 6+1 because the middle seat in the middle row is only for occasional use, but apart from that it's fabulous to drive & the sliding doors are sooo useful (& I don't even have small children grin)

I'd get a petrol one now though. Much less risky. Are you looking for new or used, defuse? what's your budget?

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:22:29

sample 10 plate petrol Mazda5 with under 10K miles, 9,500 - look at picture 7 for the boot space with all seats in place. You can fold the small middle middle seat away to give walk-through access to the 2 rear seats.

The 2.0 petrol is supposed to do about 34mpg.

Def worth considering

beachyhead Fri 26-Oct-12 19:42:16

Volvo XC 90 here too. Massive seats for all and versatile in terms of seats up and down configuration. Also the two back seats fold flat so the boot space is great if you only have 5 seats....

Similar problem with dogs to up thread - too high for them to jump into....

Ponders Fri 26-Oct-12 19:55:03

The Mazda 5 rear seats fold flat into the floor too & the boot is massive without them

It's quite a nifty design. Worth a look smile

PiedWagtail Fri 26-Oct-12 20:19:38

We have a 7 seater Kia Carens. we love it. The seats are easy to move round, the car is nice to srive and has great visibility, the kids love the little secret pockets and lights in the back. We tend to only use 5 seats regularly though as the back 2 are in the crumple zone - but they are handy for taking groups of kids out, etc., on short journeys. It's pretty fuel-efficient too with an mmpg of about 42 (the diesel version).

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Oct-12 20:23:27

Another vote for the XC90 here. Really, really comfortable. An unexpected hit with granny because of the handle and wee step to help getting in, as well. Loads if space and really hold their value and are safe.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 26-Oct-12 21:21:04

JollyJackOLantern that's interesting. The main dealer in Cardiff told us that they're not making them any more.

bea Fri 26-Oct-12 21:55:25

we've just got a peugeot 5008... about 3 weeks ago after our zafira bit the ghost and have to say... we love it to bits... dh loves to drive it... (had cruise control!) and when driving long distances ( we do a lot!) it's brilliant!

we got diesal and the fuel economy is fab!

3 'proper' seats in the middle... grat smooth and simple action for the extra 2 seats in the back.. plus has airbags... all down the side to cover the extra seats at rear.

Ours has got the panoramic glass roof which is soooo loevly and the kids just think its wonderful to see the stars at night!

Huge boot space.. but nto so much when all seven seats are up!

Very nice and just a fab change from the flippin' zafira!

only problem... quite hard to find secondhand (well teh model we wanted!)

all reviews brilliant definitely a lovely great seven seater!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 26-Oct-12 22:36:15

I've looked at that car Bea.

The seats in the very back didn't seem to have a proper space for the occupants feet to go in, no kind of footwell. How have you found them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now