Occasionally need 7 seats - what to go for?

(43 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 07-Oct-12 22:47:34

With our ds's getting older, we're finding more and more that it would be handy to have the option of having 7 seats to cart around extra small children (for parties, rugby etc).

Our dc are 7 and 4, and I imagine that I'd be keeping this car for 5+ years so the legroom in the back needs to be ok ish, but not adult size. When the extra seats are up, I wouldn't need a huge boot.

I'm thinking along the lines of a grand scenic type of size but don't really know any others. Help!

we've got a qasqai + 2 and it's great!

member Wed 17-Oct-12 11:03:21

Ford grand c-max

Roseformeplease England Wed 17-Oct-12 16:22:10

We bought our XC90 for 4400. It has done 100k miles but, as with all Volvos, will do another 100k miles. We never buy new cars, rarely spend even as much as we did (our previous top car cost £2400) and we usually have few problems. I think the notion that you have to have new, low mileage cars is a bit of a myth perpetuated by manufacturers. Our Volvo is 10 years old but is fantastic and will do us for years. For 20k (which still sounds to me like the kind of money that should buy you a house) you can get one that is about 2 years old. However, the sliding doors are not part of the deal!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Wed 17-Oct-12 16:23:02

peugeot 307 SW

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 18-Oct-12 08:28:34

Food for thought Rose.

We don't have a big lump sum and do need something very reliable as I work in the community which is why we got a brand new car on 0% finance last time so that we could spread the cost.

Apart from servicing my current car, and just having new bushes on the rear axles that's all that's been done in the 6 years that I've had it.

Hadn't really considered getting something older, I suppose because of the worry that it'll need more doing to it, and the unplanned expense and difficulty with work while it's in the garage would be extremely difficult to manage.

I do like the look of the Mazda 5 and grand c max, the sliding doors really appeal but you're right that 20k is a massive amount of money.

The thinking goes on........

I've had a Mazda 5. The sliding doors were fab and the space really good. The only negatives were no where to put the parcel shelf when all seats in use and the middle seat in the middle can't be used as a seat so in theory it's a six seater. I thought that would be ok as I only have 2dc but infant it got on my nerves having to sit just one extra child in the back seats occasionally. I paid 8k back in 2008 and it was 2yrs old. Unfortunately mine had a battery problem and no one could find the fault to fix it.

I now have a scenic grand. It cost £11k for 12 month old with 10k miles. It drives fine but as I do town driving is low mpg so I suggest you get a diesel. The cubby holes are great, keyless entry fab, holder for parcel shelf and back seats really easy to get into.

YuleBritannia Sat 15-Dec-12 16:58:50

I bet I'm too late but I would not fault the Kia Sedona.

zumo Fri 28-Dec-12 18:02:33

WE have two a Peugeot 406 diesel estate, they made a seven seater called the Family, we paid £700 four years ago and we cant fault it, 35mpg reliable and comfey, once the kids get above 5ft2 its a bit cramped to sit in the boot, its now done 200,000miles, I use it every day.
Last March we bought an 8 seater Mazda bongo as we often take the elderly inlaws with us and both kids are very tall so wont fit in the Peugeot boot, we paid £1200 knowing it needed a small amount of work but as the going rate was £2500, it was a bargain, we left the dent in the door, had it serviced and a new radiator, so total spend was about£1600, its fantastic, easily carrys 8 adult size people, big sunroof aircon, its a2.5 diesel automatic, 22 round town but 30 on a run, easy to park too as you are sat high up and its only the same foot print as a normal large car, if you fit a kitchen in the boot most insurance cos will insure it as a camper, we spent £150 on the kitchen and the insurance came down from £1000 to £320
The seats fold flat in to a massive bigger than double bed, the seats also fold up to a table and four chairs, undo 8 bolts from the seats and it becomes a van, they really are a useful tool, they also have an excellent owners club, if you join it reduces the insurance cost, both of these cars are also DIY fixable with parts easily obtainable.

chicaguapa Fri 28-Dec-12 18:08:29

We have a Toyota Verso and it's marvellous! Massive boot when you don't need seats 6+7 and when you do they appear very easily so you can decide while you're out to bring home extra children. Seats 6+7 aren't very good for adults and it doesn't leave very much boot space at all, but it suits us fine.

The only thing that annoys us is the large turning circle, but we'd definitely buy another if anything happened to this one. So I would recommend looking into it.

tassisssss Fri 28-Dec-12 18:10:57

we also have a toyota verso and LOVE it.

had a zafira previously and hated though (though loads of our pals have it and are happy with it).

I love the flexibility of the verso, you can just pop the extra seats up and down as you need without having to move the middle row (which, when we had it involved me first removing to massive carseats while juggling baby and toddler).

SantasENormaSnob Mon 31-Dec-12 18:17:04

Do not get the grand picasso.

We had nothing but problems with ours.

janew57 Thu 03-Jan-13 05:33:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

snay Sat 01-Jun-13 21:08:52

I know it's too late for you but maybe there are other people who has the same question.

I think Toyota Verso is occupational 7 seater. There are 2 seats at boot and can be pulled out when needed. But if you need big space when all seats up then you need like Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra etc. see Spacious 7 Seaters.

AlexMumsnetCars (MNHQ) Tue 04-Jun-13 13:56:34

It might be worth starting out by checking Mumsnet Cars' best 10 seven-seaters. They're all currently in production so you can buy them brand new but most have also been on sale long enough for there to be used examples on sale, too, some of which can be particularly good value. Some are more affordable to buy than others but all ten of them are decent to drive and to use, and running costs should be decent, too.

zumo Tue 04-Jun-13 16:01:36

I find the Van type stuff is best as more room better driving position
So Bongo, VW T4 etc

sausagemummy Sat 03-Aug-13 09:17:22

Chrysler grand voyager decent boot space with all seats up will fit a pushchair and a wheelchair in the boot which sadly was a requirement with my dad with Parkinson's living with us and second hand prices very reasonable

ChocolateOrangeforDd Sat 03-Aug-13 09:45:17

We love our Mazda 5! Seventeen year old friends of Ds fight to sit in the back two seats (and some are six feet tall) and boys have sat on the small middle seat in the middle for short journeys (seat belt fitted but I agree it would not be comfortable for a long journey). The rear seats pull up very easily. We have had Mazdas before and no mechanical problems. Sliding back doors are great too. We are taking the car to France this week...boot space excellent. We bought it "second hand" from a Mazda dealer in the September/October 3 years ago and the car had only travelled about 30 miles (something to do with pre registering and quotas I believe....fantastic value for us though).

lorisparkle Tue 27-Aug-13 16:11:34

Absolutely love my Ford Galaxy. I was worried it would be a 'tank' to drive but it is the easiest car ever. I love the full adult sized back seats as it means we can take grandparents places with us without moving car seats. I do sometimes find it is large to park but that is fine with child spaces and the parking sensors are great. My only gripe is that the boot when the very back seats are down slopes towards the door so unless you pack carefully everything falls out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now