HELP 1st baby due in 4weeks - just sold my 3 door car - What should I replace it with?

(12 Posts)
WMittens Sun 23-Sep-12 09:14:08

Skoda Fabia. Same chassis as vw/Audi...

It's shared with a couple of Seats and the VW Polo, but not any Audi models. The Octavia shares a platform with the A3/TT and others.

MaryBerryisVeryMerry Sun 23-Sep-12 08:26:33

I always pick my cars on safety rating <paranoid>

Renault Clios are excellent for child and driver safety, the new shape has a really decent boot size and anything over the 1.2l engine size has a good kick to it. If you are just doing local trips the 1.2 is fine. There are also a reasonable number of them about.

We have had a focus in the past too and were very happy with it, apparently they are quite cheap to repair too.

HTH.

OnlyWantsOne Sun 23-Sep-12 08:26:25

Another vote for skoda here - DP is selling his passat and buyin one. smile

SoYo Sun 23-Sep-12 08:21:02

Skoda Fabia. Same chassis as vw/Audi but tons cheaper & very reliable. I'm just buying my second skoda (octavia estate this time)

WMittens Mon 17-Sep-12 08:05:39

Aye, from what I've heard the Focus is pretty much best in class.

How about a Seat Leon? Same underpinnings as a Golf but should be slightly cheaper, much better looking IMO, very pretty cars.

One thing that did put me off when I was considering one was the boot opening: the door seems a bit small which may make getting bulky things into the boot a bit more difficult. Recent Astras seem to suffer from the same design. It may be absolutely fine, I've not tested it.

milli2512 Sun 16-Sep-12 22:37:05

Thanks for replies, given me something to think about.

We had one a few years ago and had problems with it. Although after looking on Autotrader tonight they seem reasonably priced compared to something like a golf, so not completely ruled out.

WMittens Sun 16-Sep-12 21:17:35

Out of interest, why not a Focus?

NervousAt20 Sun 16-Sep-12 20:32:00

I second the vauxhall Astra, we got mine because were expecting DC1 and it has a huge boot and lots of space in the back and the inside is comfie and nice to drive

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 16-Sep-12 20:31:45

Honda Jazz is what we have, it has a really good boot

emsyj Sun 16-Sep-12 20:30:29

I've got a Vauxhall Astra and I really like it - big enough to fit everything in but doesn't feel like driving a giant boat like DH's car. I test drove some VW polos but found them very noisy and interior felt plasticky and cheap.

Also heard good reviews of the Skodas, they are VWs with a different badge (so they tell me). I like my Vauxhall tho - cheap to service & repair too.

skyebluesapphire Sun 16-Sep-12 20:27:48

We bought a Meriva when DD was four months old. It's still a small car but plenty of boot space.

milli2512 Sun 16-Sep-12 20:13:00

This is something I need to sort sooner rather than later, but not got the enthusiasm or energy for it. A starting point would be to know what make/model I'm after. Budget will be in the region of £4500. Was originally thinking VW Golf but do feel that you pay over the odds as they are so popular. What other cars do you recommend I consider? DH already has an estate car, so looking for a medium sized hatchback that has space for buggy etc (not a Ford Focus).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now