Anyone got a Fiat 500?

(19 Posts)
higgle Wed 22-Aug-12 11:32:42

I'm sad I won't have another - when it works it is great! When it doesn't work and cost you £1k + not so good.

Hulababy Wed 22-Aug-12 08:57:27

Ah - just reread and you said you wouldn't get another sad

Hulababy Wed 22-Aug-12 08:56:35

Sounds like the type of auto we've had before then - which would be good.
Do you know if it changes the drive at all? Is it still like the normal Fiat 500 for fun, etc?

ScienceRocks Wed 22-Aug-12 07:48:12

Oh,get one grin I love mine (1.4 sport), drive it round town and on motorways with no problems. In fact, I have just down a tour of the country in it with my two DDs and it was great. Boot is fine, I can fit my Quinny Zapp and luggage in it. Back seat has two isofix points so is fine for car seats. Parking is a dream.

Get one, you will love it smile

higgle Wed 22-Aug-12 07:41:51

The "automatic" is a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch and is great to use - easy to overide automatic by using the gearstick, but only two pedals, like a standard auto. I have a Panda dualogic and although I like the way it works I would not have another as I am now faced with a second set of expensive and serious gearbox faults - off to the garage on Friday but last time it cost £1400 to repair.

Hulababy Mon 20-Aug-12 09:30:44

Glad you liked it smile

I need to look at changing mine but really don't want to not have the Fiat 500. I need to look at getting an automatic car (have arthritis which is making driving painful at times) so really need to go and see what the automatic Fiat 500s are like.

bran Sun 19-Aug-12 23:41:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mosschops30 Sun 19-Aug-12 22:13:25

Test driven the lounge today and loved it grin. Am probably going to go for it, feels so fun and funky to drive, even more so than the mini

mosschops30 Sat 18-Aug-12 14:19:15

off to have a nose in the fiat garage tomorrow then smile

Newdaynewpants Fri 17-Aug-12 09:06:23

Hi, we've got an Abarth and it is the most fun car I've owned. DP had a 911 Carrera 4S up until recently and even he said that the Abarth is as fun as the 911 so when the 911 went he wasn't too heart broken wink

We can fit DP driving (6' 1") driving and me up front and our daughters in the back with the 12yo sat behind DP and there's still space left, car seats are no problem too. And you can get a week's shopping in the boot.

MPG is still reasonable - I've had it at around 44MPG on the motorway, just driving sensibly. Obviously if you have it in Sport mode a lot and spank it (sometimes the need to spank it along the quiet back roads gets too much and it makes your face do this => grin) the MPG drops. But it costs about £35-40 to fill up and you can get 300 miles out of the tank on average.

Ours is second hand and picked up a 59 plate for £11k.

Our other car is a Lexus IS200d, which although chipped, doesn't have the same 0-60 thrill you get with the Abarth. Around town I reckon both me and DP prefer the Abarth. One word of caution on the Abarth though; it has a racing rack and therefore a bus has a smaller turning circle than the Abarth. Once you've got that sussed then parking is dead easy as it's just such a dinky car smile

For a fun, economical, eye catching drive then you can't go wrong with a 500 especially an Abarth

Hulababy Fri 17-Aug-12 08:49:36

I hxve no prob with roof down and I am short. It's only when reversing and parking it's more restricted but you have parking sensors or it takes a few seconds to put roof up

I may need to look at the automatic next time as have arthritis in my knee but still keen on another 500

The next door neighbour has the Gucci edition. I want it. Lots. grin

bran Thu 16-Aug-12 22:45:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mosschops30 Thu 16-Aug-12 22:32:26

Thanks, everyone loves it then smile

I'm looking at maybe a year or two old. Would consider the convertible. Is the rear view as bad as the reviews say with the roof down?

I don't do much motorway driving maybe two or three long trips a year so mostly just pottering about. Not worried about speed so much but needs to be nippy.

Does it feel quite safe and solid? I am used to the mini feeling very sturdy and handling very well so don't want something that feels light IYKWIM smile

Hulababy Thu 16-Aug-12 22:24:21

Convertible has parking sensors at rear which means I can park virtually anywhere!

Hulababy Thu 16-Aug-12 22:23:25

I have a Fiat 500 convertible (lounge). Got it last March, had the non convertible which I upgraded from before that.

I love it - it's fun, nippy (as so light) and looks fab. I drive it for both city and motorway and it performs well on both. Have never had any issues on motorway at all.

Arbrath is the sporty version so quicker.

Boot is small but I can get a full weekly shop in the boot no problem.

Have had high back booster in back and on occasion my godson's second stage car seat. Fit fine. If you had a tall driver there might not be much leg room behind them - but DH is 6'1" and 10y DD can fit behind him so it isn;t dreadful by any means.

It is only a 4 seater - no third belt in the back. But full sized seats in rear/ Have had 4 adults in and it was ok

DH drives a fast car normally but he enjoys using the Fiat 500 every so often.

DowagersHump Thu 16-Aug-12 22:23:20

I had a hire Fiat 500 last year and me and DS absolutely loved it. The boot fit my massive suitcase (but not a lot else) and it was really fun to drive. It's not the fastest car on motorways but went at a reasonable lick (acceleration wasn't up to much but then I probably had a low grade model).

It was super-fun to drive around towns though and a dream to park. I was seriously impressed and, if I didn't have to do a lot of motorway driving, would definitely consider one.

WMittens Thu 16-Aug-12 22:13:12

If you're talking new models, then ByGucci looks to be the highest trim level, followed by Lounge and Street. If you're looking at used, I'd guess the Abarth Esseesse is the top version.

mosschops30 Thu 16-Aug-12 22:00:32

Thinking of swapping my mini clubman for one.
I have had 2 minis now and love them, i get bored with cats that arent fun and quirky.

What are the models? Is the lounge the top model? Is the convertible worth it? Is the boot space like a mini? Is it ok with a car seat in the back?

My new job means i will be doing lots of driving round the city so need something small, cheap and nippy. But is it ok on the motorway too?

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now