Good car for crappy weather?

(5 Posts)
thenightsky Fri 17-Aug-12 21:51:04

Mittens is absolutely correct... Get your car swapped onto winter tyres in November. Buy them on line now while cheap. Price can double come first snow! Try mytyre.com

WMittens Fri 17-Aug-12 21:48:34

When was it last serviced?

Brakes should be checked at every service, brake fluid changed at appropriate intervals, brake pads/shoes renewed as required.

Wiper blades are about a fiver apiece and a cinch to change.

Air conditioning may not be on the service schedule, but you can get the system checked for leaks and regassed.

onemorebite Fri 17-Aug-12 21:10:55

Thanks for the tips. I'll have look at these.

It's not just the tyres which are the problem. There is something wrong with the condenser so the windows always mist up - the wipers don't work properly and I am increasingly concerned about the brakes. A bit of a death trap all round in the wet really.

WMittens Thu 16-Aug-12 19:46:40

Cheaper than buying another car, fit all-season/mud & snow/winter tyres to your Scenic. Replacing a shit car on shit tyres with a good car on shit tyres will make very little difference.

If there's anything local, do a skidpan driving course.

These are both things that will benefit any car you drive.

If you're intent on changing your car and are concerned about grip and traction, I'd recommend something like a Subaru Legacy or AWD Impreza, quattro Audi or Volvo XC70 - something like that. Generally something with 4WD will give you that bit extra when you need it on the road.

onemorebite Wed 15-Aug-12 22:16:04

We live in Scotland and somehow i often seem to be driving down the M8 in the pouring rain - or halfway up a mountain in the snow. Our 9 year old Scenic feels increasingly unsafe and I have to get a new (second hand car).

Any suggestions?

very many thanks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now