How old is your current car? And when do you plan to replace it?

(126 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 06-Aug-12 19:55:00

And when you replace it, are you likely to buy new or used?

Just curious as I read a stat that says the average age of a passenger car in the US is 11 years - which seems quite old.

Wonder if we run our cars for a similar amount of time?

kellestar Fri 31-Aug-12 17:11:41

My current car, Renault Megane is 11 years old and over the weekend will tick over 90,000 miles. I plan on keeping this one until it dies. It was purchased second hand when it was 3 years old with 8,000 miles on the clock.

When I replace it we will look around, I like the look of the Skoda Yeti and DH wants to replace it with the Citroen Berlingo Multispace [he has the berlingo van and loves it]. it's likely it'll be a nearly new purchase. I just hate the idea of buying brand new as it depreciates so quick.

I have two other vehicles, that are mainly used for Jolly's but were our regular use cars until work installed speed bumps and I couldn't get up the drive in my 1964 Triumph Spitfire as it grazed every single one of them. DH's regular use vehicle is a 1952 Landrover 80" series one, until he got a works van.

bureni Thu 30-Aug-12 13:56:24

My work car is a 1994 Volvo estate with only 197 k on the clock so its just about run in now and I would expect to reach 400-500 k with little to no trouble. My "good " car is a 1998 sporty volvo estate with 156k so no plans to change either in the next 5 years.

Fay30 Thu 30-Aug-12 13:48:06

Hi Nicolasgirl, _NicolasGirl Wed 29-Aug-12 00:51:26

5year old SLK. Beautiful car and I love it, despite my bill for nearly £800 today -don't ask!
I certainly won't be selling it anytime soon._ In total, we haven't spent £800 on our Land Cruiser, which has nearly 250,000 miles on the clock.
Just regular service's.

Fay

superwhizzynewlaptop Wed 29-Aug-12 16:48:09

15 year old Seat Ibiza, has done us very well but is showing it's age now. Hoping to replace it soon...

lljkk Wed 29-Aug-12 15:26:38

Since this thread started with mention of USA, I have to make an observation: a lot of the USA is dry climate. It's easy to keep cars going in low rain areas. Large indoor garages that are easy to use are also common (doors to British garages are mostly too small). My aunt in Alaska has a heated garage for her car. 20+ year old bangers are not uncommon in California. Also, some (?many) states have no equivalent of MOT, so fewer controls about what gets driven on the road.

M0naLisa Wed 29-Aug-12 01:02:22

Ours is 11 years old only got it in May. Love it don't plan on replacing it yet

NicolasGirl Wed 29-Aug-12 00:51:26

5year old SLK. Beautiful car and I love it, despite my bill for nearly £800 today -don't ask!
I certainly won't be selling it anytime soon.

SummerRain Wed 29-Aug-12 00:39:08

11 years old and dying a slow undignified death.

Will buy another secondhand as soon as we have some cash as I'm effectively stranded atm... Closest shop is 5 miles away and my car is barely managing that atm.

SmallWhiteWine Wed 29-Aug-12 00:34:08

8 months - and yes, will prob replace that with new at 3 years. But I am also looking to buy a landrover, and want a second hand one of those! Depends purely on the make'

Beckamaw Wed 29-Aug-12 00:29:34

10 year old Discovery, 110,000 miles on the clock. Excellent car.
Will probably replace it with another one day!

ettiketti Sat 25-Aug-12 05:06:14

Changed mine this week. Old one was 9years old, sold as too big now and started to cost money. New one 15mths old, exactly 50% of the price of the new one they wanted to sell us. We pointed out the maths wink. Expect to have it another 9 years!

Fay30 Sat 25-Aug-12 04:34:25

lynniep Fri 24-Aug-12 09:44:14

I'd replace our 2nd car in an instant if we could afford it - hideous thing. Fiat Grande punto. Nothing but trouble. And only 6 years old. We may have to as DH is supposed to have a car less than 5 for work purposes, but just dont have any cash right now.

But doesn't that mean that DH is getting additional money for using his own car?
I guess he has opted out of the "Company car scheme" ?
Perhaps good to start saving that additional money to put towards a replacement?

Fay.

lynniep Fri 24-Aug-12 09:44:14

Our 'workhorse' is nearly 10. Theres not much point in replacing her (nissan Tino) unless frequent faults start developing. Only done 59k. Does use a lot of petrol, but doesnt do a lot of miles, so for the cost of replacing with a much newer car, it still wouldnt be worth it.

I'd replace our 2nd car in an instant if we could afford it - hideous thing. Fiat Grande punto. Nothing but trouble. And only 6 years old. We may have to as DH is supposed to have a car less than 5 for work purposes, but just dont have any cash right now.

Netheregions Fri 24-Aug-12 09:34:08

Mine 8 years old and a hand me down from Dp's mum - Dp's 3 years in Oct.

Nightwish Fri 24-Aug-12 09:32:04

12 years old.
I love it.

I will only upgrade if it dies, or I have enough money to buy the newer version.
(But only if I can tune it to be as fast as mine ;P)

Fay30 Fri 24-Aug-12 09:27:19

Our Land Cruiser in UK is about 7 years old.
As strong as an ox.
Driven it all around Europe.
Towed our 6 meter plus twin axle caravan, with ease, again all around Europe.
Makes short work of the sand dunes in Morocco smile
It is immaculate, and has never broke down, so we have no need or wish to change it.
Fay.

workshy Sun 19-Aug-12 16:16:20

mine is 4 years old, bought it last year to replace my 13 year old zafira which was going to cost 2k to get through it's MOT

I generally keep cars until they cost more than they are worth to repair

Shesparkles Sun 19-Aug-12 16:12:38

Mine is 6 years old and I've had it 4 years. I dont feel any urge to replace it as for some reason it still feels very new to me

wisecamel Sun 19-Aug-12 16:09:29

Nutcracker - my dad does that too grin

wisecamel Sun 19-Aug-12 16:08:18

I have a 9 year old vauxhall astra which I have had for 5 years. I love it and will keep it until the MOT costs are higher than I would spend buying another one, or until it is condemned by the garage (This was the fate of the last two of mine - I hold on to them as I hate buying cars). I would look to replace it with something identical but a bit newer.

I have got a 12yr old Daewoo Matiz. It is currently at my dads having a new exhaust fitted before it's MOT on Thursday.
If it fails I shall not be buying a new car as I don't have the money sad

If I could buy a new one then i'd get something like a Citroen Picasso or Nissan Almera Tino.

Trouble is, my dad knows everything about cars and that means he knows alot of the common faults. Everytime I mention a car to him he says 'pile of shit'.

I've just bought a 13 year old Volvo, lovely car, won't be replacing it until it dies, which will hopefully be a while as we look after our cars very well.

We've also got a ten year old RX8 that we love and will not replace and a 17 year old MX5 that will also hopefully never go. That would be a very sad day.

glammanana Tue 07-Aug-12 12:07:51

I've had mine for the past three years and have no plans to change it,it was 3yrs old when I bought it,its an Audi TT and has replaced my DCs in the pecking order I really love that motor,even though the weather this year means that the hood has not been down I don't care,I have always had an Audi used to have the 100cd when the children where small and it lasted years never ever let me down and always started first time.DH has his eye on Bentley in local showroom if we win the lottery at the week-end he keeps looking at it and says "glamma" when are you going to select the correct 6 numbers.??

notcitrus Tue 07-Aug-12 11:32:23

12 year old Vauxhall. Debated selling it last year but figured it was running well and don't have money for newer car. So of course have spent £1000 in last few months on repairs etc. What happened to reliable cars around £1500 - everything is either scrap or over £3k!

It's average age for a car on our street. American cars can last longer as the air is drier and no salt in the air.

My car is 12 years old, I will be keeping it until it dies. It is regularly serviced and reliable (touch wood) but worth nothing for trade in/sale because it is a filthy heap with loads of minor scratches on the bodywork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now