How old is your current car? And when do you plan to replace it?

(126 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 06-Aug-12 19:55:00

And when you replace it, are you likely to buy new or used?

Just curious as I read a stat that says the average age of a passenger car in the US is 11 years - which seems quite old.

Wonder if we run our cars for a similar amount of time?

Chocoholiday Mon 06-Aug-12 21:47:32

22 years old - our one and only Mercedes from 1990. Runs like a beauty still, with lots of TLC. Not exactly a status symbol, but it's like riding around in an enormous, comfy armchair. DH is passionately in love with it - I occasionally dream of something with air conditioning.

Pixel Mon 06-Aug-12 22:34:55

15 year old Renault, I'll keep it as long as I can as it's great to drive and tows well. Mind you, I like it a lot better in the summer than the winter as it leaks and the heating doesn't always work grin. We will replace it with whatever we can afford when the time comes, but it certainly won't be new.

11, with 140,000 miles on the clock. We bought new while we still had two incomes before dd1 was born. We've been shocked, but delighted, it's got through the last two MOTs. When it doesn't we'll replace it with a used one.

emess Mon 06-Aug-12 22:59:43

11 yo Peugeot, runs well, a real work-horse. Never lets me down. It has a 1.8 litre engine but DD learnt to drive in it and still uses it when required. Ds learnign to drive in it now.
8 yo Renault Espace, 7-seater diesel, lovely to drive but expensive to run. Being sold very soon if you want one grin
3 yo Peugeot, bought for me to replace 11 yo Peugeot which we thought we'd sell but never got round to. Peugeots seem to be more reliable - and certainly cheaper to run - than the Renault.
Never bought new, always slightly used, ie under 2 yo, ut not planning to replace anything soon.

EclecticShock Mon 06-Aug-12 23:06:03

Chico, hope our car lasts that long!

openerofjars Mon 06-Aug-12 23:06:37

Okay, now look here. My poor, sad Punto had less than 60,000 miles on the clock but is only fit for the knackers yard. We had it for about five years. It's only 9yo. Are Fiats a bit shit or am I a horrible car owner? sad

EclecticShock Mon 06-Aug-12 23:07:53

Italian cars? smile

ArthurandGeorge Mon 06-Aug-12 23:11:56

8 years old. Will pay £700 at the end of the week for new clutch inc flywheel turbo?? and brake pads and discs.

Will hopefully get a lease car from work by the end of the year.

openerofjars Mon 06-Aug-12 23:21:48

Ouch, Arthur.

My garage said that Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow. They do the odd freebie for me (like fixing the horn last week) because, and I quote, "It'll be something else up with it next week". How right they were.

Plus, I drive like a total wanker.

hiddenhome Mon 06-Aug-12 23:33:03

I have just got one and it's three years old. I save up money each month to put towards another one when this one's paid off (I borrowed the money from dh) which will take about three years.

Opener, our multiplas doing good, but I've met a lot of people who've said the same fiat got that one right even if it is ugly, 3 friends had puntos they were all bastard cars. The ultimate bastard car is the peugeot 307.

Pandemoniaa Tue 07-Aug-12 00:33:48

Exceedingly old Polo (R reg) which is boring but reliable. We bought it from an elderly family member who'd had to stop driving and despite being several years old then, it had almost no mileage on it and a full service history. Previous owner had used it once a week to drive a mile down the road to Waitrose and back!

This year's MOT may decide its fate though. So far it has sailed through but it has certainly reached the age when it isn't worth spending much on. We're thinking of leasing as an alternative.

chinley Tue 07-Aug-12 00:36:54

8yr old Mazda RX8, 45,000 miles. Bought just over a year ago at 26,000 miles. Love it & will keep it until it dies.

duchesse Tue 07-Aug-12 00:54:07

One car (a Corsa) is 13 years old, has done 50,000 miles. Still going strong with a few minor repairs here and there. Will keep it till it dies.

Other car is a Ford Galaxy, now 5 years old. Has done 60,000 miles (we use it for our European road trips) In very good nick, will also keep till it dies. Its predecessor died at nearly 14 years old.

duchesse Tue 07-Aug-12 00:56:18

Ps: a friend has a 28 year old Nissan still going very strong. Costs her virtually nothing every MOT and very cheap to tax.

Chocoholiday Tue 07-Aug-12 09:42:11

Ah the multipla - have heard it's sturdy buy it sure is bugly. Like one of those deep water fish that never sees sunlight.

NCIS Tue 07-Aug-12 09:50:28

One car is ten years old and have just bought it, the others are 15+ years old and have just passed one on to my daughter, the other we will keep until it gives up the ghost. All our cars have been reliable and do not cost a lot in maintenance even though we have them serviced every 6k.

W reg - however old that is. It's a lovely drive so not sure when I'll get a new one.

9 year old micra with nearly 100k on the clock, and a 10 year old scenic which I hate but still staggers through MOTs.

I'm currently looking for a REALLY old micra for my son's first car as he has just passed his testsmile

We keep our cars until they drop dead...

9 years. Will need replacing soon. It's crap.

Going for a German car next time. .

zlist Tue 07-Aug-12 09:58:42

6 yr old Peugeot 207. Will probably replace it with a new Mercedes A or B class within the next year, this change is definitely driven by DH - I think my car is fine. DH drives a new car.

Hmm, although our cars are younger than a lot of yours, they've probably done more miles. Our 7 year old diesel car has done 125k and then 12 year old petrol one around 90k. That's why they both need replaced.

Plus the 7yo is a Saab so we'd need to remortgage to replace the clutch.

wankpants Tue 07-Aug-12 10:24:24

10 years old, will keep until it dies. I can't afford a new one, and this one (touch wood) has been very reliable - plus it's at the point where I'd only get a few hundred for it. If I won the lottery I'd love a reconditioned old beetle and campervan.

TruthSweet Tue 07-Aug-12 10:38:08

DH had a J reg Ford Granada (lovely car, she liked doing 60 round roundabouts though!) which was replaced in 2004, with a Y reg Mazda Premacy diesel who didn't like doing 60 round roundabouts but could easily take Ditchling Hill in her sleep grin which we replaced this year sad with a VW Caddy Maxi Life 7 seater van conversion for baby no.4 (can't remember the reg though - poss 58?).

Our cars seem to last 12 years then get too uneconomical to repair so a 'new' car is forth coming.

phlebas Tue 07-Aug-12 10:54:13

12 year old volvo, well over 100,000 miles. We'll need to replace it in about 5 years when children are too big to be squeezed in - but I'd happily keep it until it dies.

Last car was a newer galaxy which we exchanged our last ancient volvo for - it was shit & lasted about 6 months before we got current ancient volvo. Would never buy a new car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now