How old is your current car? And when do you plan to replace it?

(126 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 06-Aug-12 19:55:00

And when you replace it, are you likely to buy new or used?

Just curious as I read a stat that says the average age of a passenger car in the US is 11 years - which seems quite old.

Wonder if we run our cars for a similar amount of time?

lambethlil Mon 06-Aug-12 20:19:23

New -well newish as original owner ordered it, went off it and traded it in, so a third off new price and 700 miles on the clock. Was planning to keep the one before for ever but new MOT rules mean that any lights, even advisory have to be fixed- we were looking at £2500 to fix 4yo car sad I have a feeling the MOT rule, due to be implemented early 2013 will be quietly dropped.

MarysBeard Mon 06-Aug-12 20:20:32

2005...when it dies

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 06-Aug-12 20:21:23

My car is a nine year old VW estate. Had from new, low mileage, immaculate condition, like fled transports kids, dogs, garden waste, firewood, you name it. Lovely car, will probably keep it another couple of years or so but then probably get something a bit newer. It's never failed an Mot yet though so no good excuse to trade up yet.

toboldlygo Mon 06-Aug-12 20:22:30

My last car (recently stolen sad) was 19 years old. The replacement is 10 years old and will stay with me until it's too uneconomical to repair. I choose once and choose wisely!

MsRinky Mon 06-Aug-12 20:23:21

I've got a 45 year old VW, they live forever. Might trade my 3 year old Fiat in soon though.

our current car is 6 years old and we're planning to buy another one asap, but only because we want a 7 seater.

new car is likely to be the same age, or maybe a year or so newer, but not much as can't afford it!

if i had my way though we'd be driving around in a 40 yr old camper van grin

droves Mon 06-Aug-12 20:23:48

I've got a lovely 8 year old jaguar .

It drinks petrol like crazy , is expensive for parts , but is stupidly low to insure .

I lurves it , but will get rid next year when the warranty runs out .

Prior to that I had a 10 year old corsa .

Dh has a 7 year old Renault ...he's going to swap it soon for something less expensive to keep on the road ...probably a BMW or Volkswagen. Repair costs on renaults are mental .

Is 1.5 years old. Dh is 5 years old and time to change it now.
We never have them older than 5 years cos then they are worth practically nothing and tend to cost money.
We change one or the other car probably every year if not more.

Sorry dh's car is 5 years old. Not him; that would be weird

14 years old. I'll replace it when I win the lottery! It runs perfectly well, has low road tax and low fuel consumption. It's got me to work every day through the horrible snow of the last few years. I feel like it would be wasteful to spend money on something to do exactly the same job.

Having said that, when I win the lottery my feelings might just change!

Knittingshouldbeanolympicsport Mon 06-Aug-12 20:29:32

Currently driving a '97 (P) Volvo estate with at least 250k on the. Ock, bought second hand as my lovely Astra was written off in a shunt just before dd turned 1. It will need replacing soon as only scrapped an mot this year. Will Have to buy used, but not sure how we will afford it hmm.
Dh has a 8 year old Renault which he loves and I hate am not allowed to drive, but it is an improvement on his previous car, an mgf sports car, not ideal for a family of 4 grin

eurochick Mon 06-Aug-12 20:32:00

7 yrs. Bought it second hand about 3 years ago. We will replace it when Mr euro finally gets around to passing his test as it is a sports car and not an ideal car for a new driver. I will cry when it goes as I loves it.

We will probably replace it with something a couple of years old.

youarewinning Mon 06-Aug-12 20:33:05

Made it to 14 years and went to the metal park in the sky at the weekend/ grin

Looking at used cars - will probably be buying one thats 9/10 years old!

Not a big distance driver though so do less than 6000miles a year and will be buying one with 80/90k on clock.

HecateHarshPants Mon 06-Aug-12 20:34:53

It's about 7 years old (but serviced every 10,000 miles etc, so in really good nick.) I'll keep it until it falls to bits and then see what I can get.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Mon 06-Aug-12 20:40:14

14yo, will keep it until it dies (been pretty solid so far, touch wood)

We'd probably buy a second car before we used money to upgraded the one we've got.

epeesarepointythings Mon 06-Aug-12 20:40:49

Ours is 11 years old, serviced regularly and checked over, we've had it for almost 4 years now and it has never done anything bad other than the usual brake pads, tyres, bulbs etc.
I've found with all my cars that sticking to the service schedule does make a difference in terms of preventing unpleasant surprises.

It's worth peanuts, so as soon as it does anything major it will go and be replaced by something second hand about 4 years old.

Whitamakafullo Mon 06-Aug-12 20:41:00

My car celebrates its first birthday this month. It's the first ever brand new car I've owned and I love it:-)

evilgiraffe Mon 06-Aug-12 20:47:55

Mine is an eleven year old Renault Clio. I love it, I don't want it to ever die! It was FILs midlife crisis car, but he never drove it so we bought it off him a few years ago. It's a hot hatch and has turned me into a petrolhead...

When it gives up the ghost we'll almost certainly get a used car - the depreciation of a new car is just not worth it unless it's something really special.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Mon 06-Aug-12 20:58:55

I forgot to say that I would never buy new. I just don't think it's good value at all.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 06-Aug-12 21:03:13

was new in 2005 it has done 55,000 miles, has a couple of manufacturing faults that get on my tits but engineering wise it is in great condition and tere is no reason to change it.
(aside from the fact that it fucking leaks and after heavy rain there is a puddle in the footwell!!!!!!)

CharlotteBronzeySaurus Mon 06-Aug-12 21:04:45

i have a 2005 Citroën, which i intend to grind into the ground.
on the sad day when it does finally die, i will buy another 3 yo Citroën

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 06-Aug-12 21:05:55

<1 year old. Will replace when warranty expires as it costs a bloody fortune to fix and something goes wrong regularly on it!

TeamGBsometimes Mon 06-Aug-12 21:07:11

11 years. I will replace it if it costs more than £500 to get through its MOT.

It still runs nicely though. It's a small car and I love its nippiness. My dd1 is nearly 6 foot tall, so my next car will need more back leg room, but I really don't want to drive a tank.

We have a 10 yr old Toyota Yaris, it was 2 yrs when we bought it.

We will probably run it into the ground keep it until it starts getting unreliable. Unless I get a significant job that requires me to drive, in which case it would become our 2nd car.

We've never had a brand new car...

gallifrey Mon 06-Aug-12 21:11:34

I have always had really old cars but decided to get a new car in 2008, I had that until this year so it was 4 yrs old but then had to get a bigger car so have now got an 11 plate ex demo car.
So nice not to worry about getting an MOT or if anything goes wrong it's covered by the warranty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now