How old is your current car? And when do you plan to replace it?

(126 Posts)
Earlybird Mon 06-Aug-12 19:55:00

And when you replace it, are you likely to buy new or used?

Just curious as I read a stat that says the average age of a passenger car in the US is 11 years - which seems quite old.

Wonder if we run our cars for a similar amount of time?

AngryFeet Mon 06-Aug-12 19:56:00

10 years old. We will replace it when it finally croaks it. It still runs fine with few problems and I can't afford a new car.

Mine's about 10 years old but quite good condition.

I'll be replacing it rather soon (with another used) because I HAVE A JOB! wooo.

topbannana Mon 06-Aug-12 19:57:47

15 years old (but a Land Rover so technically not "old") Will replace only when he finally gives up the ghost or we win the lottery hmm

watto1 Mon 06-Aug-12 19:58:11

4 years old. Will replace it when it falls to pieces. Only got it because my previous car (12 years old) would have cost more to get through the MOT than it was worth.

BellaVita Mon 06-Aug-12 19:58:15

My car will be 3 years old in Oct. DH asked if I would like another one for Xmas, I said YES grin.

His car will be 3 years old in Oct, he will keep his for another few years yet.

AppleCrumbleAndFish Mon 06-Aug-12 19:59:07

Mine is 12 years old. Definitely the oldest car in our street so not usual round here to keep them for so long. It's just been serviced and passed its MOT. DD1 just passed her test and she drives it too. We wouldn't insure her to drive DHs car so we'll keep it until time for it to be crushed.

pantaloons Mon 06-Aug-12 19:59:18

One is a 39 year old Landy the other everyday car is a Y plate. It will stay with us until it dies!

RedWhiteAndBlu Mon 06-Aug-12 20:00:05

4 or 5 years old - I very much hope it will last a long time, and I would never buy a new car, I think. Waste of money.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 06-Aug-12 20:00:11

Both 4 years old. Will replace one in the next few weeks as it no longer suits our driving needs. Probably keep the other for a couple more years, replacing when expensive things start to go wrong with it.

watto1 Mon 06-Aug-12 20:00:57

Sorry - will probably get a car less than 2 years old when we replace unless we see a very good offer on a brand new one. Bizarrely, out current car was brand new and cost less than a 2 year old car of the same make and model. The brand new was on a 0% APR and the 2 year old was on 22% APR so over 2 years it was cheaper to get the new one confused

TeamGBIWI Mon 06-Aug-12 20:01:14

11 years old and starting to cost us a fortune - I'm buying a 'new' one when we get back from holiday. I'm aiming to buy a low mileage, used car, probably no more than a year or so old.

TheCunningStunt Mon 06-Aug-12 20:02:08

DPs is 9 years old, mine is just over a year old. Will replace the old one when it dies....I will then give dp mine and get an almost new one again....if DPs dies in about 5 years. If hers dies sooner we will just buy another runaround as she only uses it to commute. Mine is a family car and we do a LOT of traveling so wanted a newer car for safety.

EclecticShock Mon 06-Aug-12 20:02:50

12 yrs old, love it... Will keep it as long as we can.

In the US they don't have MOTs the same as we do, I think.

Our cars are 12 years old and 7 years old. We are planning to sell them both asap and buy one brand new one (to replace the big newer one) and one second hand one (to replace the little older one).

piratecat Mon 06-Aug-12 20:04:08

15 yr old vw, will just keep her going, she's fine atm!!

NettOlympicSuperstar Mon 06-Aug-12 20:04:26

Not answering myself, as such, as I have a motability car which will be renewed every three years, but my parents replaced their cars every two years.
One got one one year, and the other the next.
My Dad's 88 and still favours newer cars. He bought himself a brand new one at Easter, to replace his 2yr old one.

HappyCamel Mon 06-Aug-12 20:04:41

9, it's a BMW and will last for years. Owning a Renault over 5 years old cost me a fortune though and I bought it new so lost over £10k in depreciation and repairs in 6 years. When this BMW dies I'll replace it with another old one, it works out much cheaper in the long run and they're lovely to drive.

MirandaWest Mon 06-Aug-12 20:05:50

Mines 7 years old. Will keep it until it stops. Got it when it was a year old. Bought new once but wouldn't do that again.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Mon 06-Aug-12 20:06:13

6yr old zafira, which we have driven into the ground in the last three years. It has had major work (£1k +) in the last year, drinks diesel & costs a lot to insure. I would replace it tomorrow if DH would agree.

I remember my dad keeping our cars running for years & years, but you just can't DIY with modern cars in the same way. I want a new car for the warrantee more than anything.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 06-Aug-12 20:07:22

7 years, will run it into ground.

They don't have MOTs in the States, probably why they can get away with older cars. Have you never seen "Pimp my Ride" no seatbelts, doors not there, dodgy brakes...

Pascha Mon 06-Aug-12 20:09:12

13 years. I would love to replace it by next year but if we do it will be for something only a few years newer. No cash for anything modern.

Nannyto2 Mon 06-Aug-12 20:12:09

14 years old - perfect little runner. Will be upgrading when I have the money or it gives up

fledtoscotland Mon 06-Aug-12 20:15:38

My car is an 11yr old Volvo with 43k miles. Immaculate condition. Transports kids and bikes. No plans to change

PippiL Mon 06-Aug-12 20:16:53

8 nearly 9 years old VW.

Starting to get worried about it, but really it's still going strong. Will replace in a couple of years maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now