Honda CR-V?

(38 Posts)
mrsfassbender Sat 04-Aug-12 20:53:39

I am changing cars in next month or so, I had my heart set on a CR-V but have been warned tht the parts are v.expensive. I was recommended the Kia Sportage as an alternative...looks great (not test driven yet) but just really love the CR-V. Anyone own one/have experience of one?

TracyK Wed 29-Aug-12 19:31:29

I'm hoping there will be a flurry of low mileage 3 yo CRV when the plates change next week. I'm looking for an EX 2.2 diesel too.

WMittens Wed 29-Aug-12 20:39:52

All the others you have to have either a 2 or 4WD from the off - I think??

Most 4WD/4x4 cars are 'part-time' 4-wheel-drive - the extra drive only kicks in when the main driven wheels start to slip.

Permanent 4-wheel-drive is usually called All Wheel Drive (AWD) and even then, they are not always driving all 4 wheels. It's usually cars like the Subaru Impreza STi (rally bred cars) that have these drive systems.

I had the 2.2 EX CR-V and it was the best car I've ever driven! I love Hondas anyway, having previously had the Civic.

Mine was a company car so not sure about parts costs. I once went for 2 new Tyres though and asked the price out of interest -£700 shock. I think it had extra big wheels or something on it though and needed low-profile.

It did drink diesel, yes, but for me that was outweighed by it being a lovely drive, very spacious, comfortable and all the extras - satnav, heated leather seats etc.

I would have another CR-V in a heartbeat. Infact I'm already looking at them for when my current car goes back!

Frontpaw Thu 30-Aug-12 18:33:38

Our CRv is being a complete bitch at the moment. Does anyone know of a 'Dummies Guide to Explaining to a Mechanic What is Wrong' with the stupid clutchy type powery no go then lotta go problem? He says there is nothing wrong with it. Grrrrrrrr.

Apart from that it's been a fab car, cheap for services and MOTs because they are real workhorses.

onedev Thu 30-Aug-12 18:36:13

I had a CRv a few years ago & it was fab. Couldn't say how expensive the parts were as it never broke down to know!

I'd definitely recommend it. grin

Frontpaw Thu 30-Aug-12 18:38:36

We've had little bits and bobs replaced - bulbs etc, but nothing major, until now (I hope not).

We looked at loads - Volvo, BMW, Audi.... But the CRv was. Y far the most comfortable and has a huge boot. Not sure what we'll get now... The new shape is too curvy.

Onlyaphase Thu 30-Aug-12 18:41:47

I've got a 4.5 year old CRV. Love it, love the height and sturdiness of it. It was an ex demo car so came with rear view camera and inbuilt sat nav etc, so I am extremely reluctant to part with it now.

BUT, it needed a new clutch at 10k miles (under warranty) and has just needed a new power steering rack and some other bits totalling well over £2,400 to fix, and the car had done less than 80k miles. I'd happily get another Honda, but would only keep it during the warranty period. A friend with the same age CRV had also needed a new clutch, at a relatively low milage too.

There is a new CRV shape coming out this autumn, so this is an extremely good time to get the current body shape discounted heavily. Just remember to take the longest warranty you can get.

Frontpaw Thu 30-Aug-12 18:43:05

Very good time to buy then! Make sure you ask for all the extras going, as the garages will be keen to get rid of the stock and make their sales targets.

My other half drives a CRV and he's a mechanic, can't say better than that for a recommendation! He swears by Honda.

Frontpaw Thu 30-Aug-12 18:47:56

Can you purleese ask him of there are problems with the fuel or some such with the CRV? It just goes at gear change, we go on Newtons for a little while then it zips off like a scalded cat!

Frontpaw Thu 30-Aug-12 18:48:24

Can you tell I am a little peeved with ours ATM?

Ingles2 England Mon 17-Sep-12 14:47:05

We had a CRV until last week...
then the engine totally conked out and wasn't worth mending according to my garage...too expensive! AND it had just passed it's MOT, bloody thing
that said it was 10yrs old and I'd driven 140,000 miles blush
I miss it sad
I'm going to get a Nissan Qashai next I think

Ingles2 England Mon 17-Sep-12 14:48:49

and... meant to say ,we sold the CRV on ebay over the weekend with no engine...Got £1200 for it shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now