Honda CR-V?

(38 Posts)
mrsfassbender Sat 04-Aug-12 20:53:39

I am changing cars in next month or so, I had my heart set on a CR-V but have been warned tht the parts are v.expensive. I was recommended the Kia Sportage as an alternative...looks great (not test driven yet) but just really love the CR-V. Anyone own one/have experience of one?

FarelyKnutsAboutTheIrishTeam Sat 04-Aug-12 21:28:01

Are you me? grin
I had a CR-V and just recently upgraded to a Kia Sportage! The CRV was a great car (it just got too old and fell apart) but I have to say I like the Sportage so far. It is very smooth and a lot less bumpy on bad roads, diesel isnt eaten as much for some reason and has plenty of space inside.

clam Sat 04-Aug-12 21:32:11

I have a CR-V. Love, love love it.
Forgive me, but is a Kia an upgrade?

The only negative I can give about the Honda is that you get dripped on when you open the boot in the rain. Although they might have sorted that in the most recent model. And it drinks fuel, but then I guess all its peers will do the same.

mrsfassbender Sat 04-Aug-12 22:44:23

Thanks both..

Clam, I think Farely meant she upgraded as her CR-V was getting old. I have a petrol car atm, and am hoping my fuels costs will be lower with a diesel. I need (maybe want, really) a car that will last for a while, been driving my current car for 9 years and it's only just started falling apart.

Farely, what made you opt for the Kia over another Honda?
Clam, how old is your Honda? Hoping to be able to get an 09/10 plate

FarelyKnutsAboutTheIrishTeam Sun 05-Aug-12 03:30:36

It wasn't any great car enthusiast reason tbh.
I needed an auto and they are hard to find. The Kia was what was available. And it was diesel and 09 and low mileage grin

mrsfassbender Sun 05-Aug-12 12:46:50

Sorry to keep asking you questions Farely...

Were your Honda parts expensive when you needed them?

How's the visibility in the Sportage? I noticed the back mirror is a bit Evoque-styleee and I hate parking at the best of times.

I am also not a great car enthusiast, in that I couldn't give a monkeys what the badge on the car says as long as it runs well and is good value for money!

mrsfassbender Wed 08-Aug-12 08:27:26

bump! any other CR-V drivers?

member Wed 08-Aug-12 08:48:37

Watching with interest - CRV ticks my boxes (same as you, looking at 9/10 plate) but dh doesn't particularly like the aesthetics of them. They are launching an all new CRV in the autumn and I'm hoping that used old model prices will go down as a result....

I'm not v keen on the c pillar/back window of the sportage & have a Hyundai ix35 on my shortlist in preference.

The more I read, the more I'm getting confused!! Didn't know the CRV parts were expensive but have heard CRVs are slightly less reliable than other Hondas.

uggmum Wed 08-Aug-12 08:51:17

I've been looking at the Mitsubishi asx3. You seem to get a lot more for your money and the discounts appear attractive.

member Wed 08-Aug-12 08:54:13

Oh, that crossed my radar for the first time the other day, I haven't dismissed it out of hand but it's down my list because of the need to be serviced every 9000 miles.

member Wed 08-Aug-12 08:58:39

I have no reason to believe that these newer cars into the suv/crossover market are anything but reliable with their warranties & they're generally well spec'd but I'm antsy at how quickly they'll depreciate tbh, which is why I keep coming back to the CRV...

mrsfassbender Wed 08-Aug-12 11:57:53

Hi member smile
I think we need some more CR-V drivers to come on and tell us abit more! I have found an 09 model at the local dealership with about 10k mileage, for £12k in a nice colour and I think that's a good price (2.2 diesel)

did you see the Hyundai thread? I read the whatcar review and I can;t even remember now what put me off but something did lol!! I think it's slightly too big, think I like the idea of a crossover more

member Wed 08-Aug-12 12:57:19

Hi, I've read so many things too but I think my overall impression was that if you were buying from new/having to sort a problem through a dealership (e.g smartkey not working), that the communication between HQ in Korea & the dealerships seems slow/lacking.

I'm assuming the CRV you've seen is the ES at that price? I want an EX for the leather seats blush

mrsfassbender Wed 08-Aug-12 21:08:51

It is an ES yes

No need to blush, nowt wrong with a bit of luxury!

FarelyKnutsAboutTheIrishTeam Thu 09-Aug-12 00:18:04

The sportage is quite tinted at the back windows and yes it took some getting used to but mine has reversing sensors so I don't find it hard to park.
With the CRV I never needed or got parts so I can't tell you about cost. Was v pov at the time so it didn't even get a service bless it.
My Sportage (and I) were in an accident recently (not my fault) and the parts had to come from Korea. I wasn't paying for it though so don't know cost. It came off the other drivers insurance.

lapsedorienteerer Thu 09-Aug-12 05:39:31

I got my Hyundai ix35 on Monday, so far so goodgrin. I had spent soooo long looking at different makes (inc Sportage & CR-V) that I began to loose the will to live, added to which my aging Volvo V70 was about to need more spent in repairs than it was worth. This one came along, ex demonstrator & high spec so I went for it. I agree back window takes a bit of getting used to but as I have a reversing camera it's fine. Did long motorway trip on day one and averaged 42mpg which I was very surprised at.

mrsfassbender Thu 09-Aug-12 18:14:50

Thanks for your post Farely, I am a bit like that with my current car, it only goes in if it's got something wrong! Good to know you never needed parts.

I think I better get my backside in gear and get test drives booked on both/

A reversing camera sounds amay-zing Orienteerer

WhereMyMilk Thu 09-Aug-12 18:28:49

I have a CR-V.

I bloody love it!

Loads of space, high up for the kids to see out.

I have the EX, so have the leather seat, and the reversing camera! Though it did give me a fright once as had a spider on it that looked mahoosive!

Have had it two years. Don't know about parts, as it is so reliable I have yet to need one <touches wood emoticon>

They also hold their value well, plus you get a 4wheel drive availability for 2wheel drive road tax!

A big thumbs up from me smile

mrsfassbender Thu 09-Aug-12 18:42:48

Oooh thanks for your reply Milk, I have just booked my test drive for Monday PM, very excited.

Also, Farely, sorry to hear about your accident

WhereMyMilk Thu 09-Aug-12 20:47:17

Enjoy Mrs! You won't want to give it back grin

silverfrog Thu 09-Aug-12 20:53:41

I have a crv. have had it for 3/4 years now.

love it. really fab.

I do a lot of driving (dd1's school is 20 miles away, so do a minimum of 8- miles a day), and it has worn well. I need new brakes every year, and new tyres - not unusual given the mileage I do.

I have the ultrabright headlights (exec level car - all the extras), which were a PITA a while back, as had 3 headlights blow n the space of 6 months. given they are not supposed to ever blow, this was annoying, and the bulbs cost £200+ each (ouch!). Honda were brilliant, though, and started investigations onc the second one blew (as it was so unusual), and din't charge from that point on.

I would happily buy another crv, and given that we have tended to change cars every 18 months or so, and never repeat buy, that says a lot.

TracyK Wed 29-Aug-12 17:54:58

I'm almost certainly going to get a CRv - mainly for the 2WD swapping to 4WD when conditions make it kick in. All the others you have to have either a 2 or 4WD from the off - I think??
They are doing amazing deals just now.

ThisisaSignofthetimes Wed 29-Aug-12 18:00:32

They are doing amazing deals at the moment because they are updating the existing model and are having to get rid of their old stock. All deals will be offered on the Exec model which has leather seats, etc. Its a very nice car and reliable and the dealers came 4th in the JD Powers satisfaction survey this year. Don't work for Honda btw, just know someone who has purchased one quite recently and is raving about it.

MotionOfTheOcean Wed 29-Aug-12 18:02:55

Honda have just been voted the most reliable make for the seventh year in a row.

TracyK Wed 29-Aug-12 19:11:44

yy - not much stock left though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now