Are Suzuki cars any good?

(19 Posts)
hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 19:44:05

Are they regarded as good quality and reliable?

I'm looking at a used Suzuki Splash, but don't want to buy something that might be a lemon. I'm only really used to Fords confused

CarpeJugulum Sat 28-Jul-12 19:47:58

Love my splash. 3 years with NO issues (bought new).

Nippy (1.2l) and easy to drive, with nice feedback through the wheel.

Would really recommend it.

hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 19:50:41

Really, you have a Splash? grin That's good to hear. I wasn't sure about the funny indicator noise, but liked it overall.

hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 19:53:28

here

like this one smile

<wibble> scared of buying

Ponyclubmum Sat 28-Jul-12 19:56:38

I have a 54 plate Suzuki (not a Splash though) and it is fantastic. Never had a single problem with it. Need to get something bigger soon and I'll be very sad to part with it.

hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 20:00:31

I currently have a Ford Ka (older type) and it's just so tiny. I feel afraid to be on the roads sometimes because all the other cars seem so higher up. The kids keep bumping their heads when they're getting in and out too.

SarahStratton Sat 28-Jul-12 20:23:34

I've got an 04 Suzuki GV, and I love it. It's very reliable, and cheap if anything does need doing.

I'd buy another one when it needs replacing.

pissovski Sat 28-Jul-12 20:49:44

I have a Swift and love it! very nice, responsive and easy to drive, good manouevring/handling, got a bit of go!! nice high driving position too smile

hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 20:50:12

smile

multipoodles Sat 28-Jul-12 20:57:55

Yes brilliant cars, I've a 10yr old Ignis, has passed 6 MOTs without any prior work, runs very well, no rust and doesn't look it's age at all.

TirednessKills Sat 28-Jul-12 21:04:33

We're on our 2nd Swift, had first for 4 years and was brilliant little car so dp just replaced with new model, new one is much slower but more refined. I think I'd go with a Swift over a Splash, I think they may be safer...

I had a Wagon R+ back in 2001.

Pros: very light so didn't use much petrol
Reliable - it only failed to start once and that was when the passenger door was left ajar so drained the (very old) battery - 2 internal lights
Cheap to buy/insure
High seats so easy access especially if hips/knees not so good

Cons:
being so light and quite high, it felt a bit hairy in high winds
Flipping nightmare to get spares. New garage opened in my town but even they had to order stuff in
Even tyres were hard to get
It felt a bit 'plastic'
Resale value minimal
Gearbox went click,click when changed
Mine had 2 rear seatbelts but now have 3

Ugly as sin grin

HellenicGamesMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 28-Jul-12 21:28:01

Hello. We're going to move this thread to our Cars topic now, as that's kinda where it belongs.

hiddenhome Sat 28-Jul-12 21:54:13

Aw, nobody will see it in there though sad

The thing that convinced me to buy the Wagon R+ was the number of Suzuki Carriy Vans on the road, some where 10-15 years and more.

I did notice with the Wagon that the engine is tiny (It was a 1.2l because the car is so light).
I had to fill my brake fluid bottle once and it was a blighter to get to without splilling.

In the end , it got hit just once too often (mainly my fault) but then the door got hit and it wasn't worth repairing.

BsshBossh Tue 31-Jul-12 20:24:57

A real PITA to get spares for when you need to. My DM has been in a couple of accidents (not her fault) and both times had to wait for weeks for spare parts. One time six weeks! Garage gave her courtesy cars both times but still a real pain!

GeetTallBird Wed 12-Sep-12 19:35:28

Loved my Suzukis. I've had a SJ413 soft top jeep which was amazing fun to drive and a proper boy racer Suzuki Swift GTi which was the fastest thing on four wheels I've ever had the pure pleasure to drive, loved that car.
Mum still has a 4x4 Ignis which she loves.

I have a 2007 Ignis and I love it. Reliable (touch wood); high ride so no night-time glare; looks good; and is pretty nifty. My husband hate's it as the suspension is not as good as his Renault Scenic (which is never out of the garage hmm). 'Suki the Suzuki' is by far the best car I've ever had (apart from 'Big Bertha', my old Daihatsu Charade - definitely have a thing for Japenese cars).

Hates not hate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now