We'd like a 7 seater - what would you go for?

(69 Posts)
designerbaby Sun 10-Jun-12 01:04:26

Our ancient Renault Scenic is regularly costing us a small fortune, so we figure we're probably better off upgrading.

We only have 2DCs, but often take an extra adult... or two, and if we had the space we'd be taking extra children/adults etc. more often. So we figure a 7 seater would be our best bet, and the huge boot (when the 2 extra seats aren't in use) would be very useful as we holiday by car (cornwall, scotland, france etc.) often and it's always a struggle to fit everything in.

We'd like a seven seater that really is - i.e. 3 proper seats across the back. i.e. didn't like the mini-seat in the Grand C-Max, because if MIL came out with us, we'd have to put a back seat up and then wouldn't be able to get much in the boot (a buggy, for example).

We're considering:

Ford S Max
Nissan Qashqai +2
Toyota Verso
Vauxhall Zafira Tourer

But we're open to suggestions...

I don't especially want to drive too much of a bus... or be tarred with the 'chelsea tractor' brush. (We don't live in chelsea or own a farm...)

Any suggestions? I figure our requirements are hardly unique and some of you must have been looking for a similar spec...

Any help/experiences/warnings gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,
db
xx

GooseRocks Sun 10-Jun-12 01:26:11

I'm looking too.

From your list I'd love an s-max.

Wondered about peugeot 5008 and citroen grand c4 picasso also.

S-max is great, but expensive. They're also HUGE for the inside space you get and longer than they need to be.

Look at the Peugeot 7 seater or the VW Touran. WIth the Touran you can take out hte whole middle row of seats if you do wish, which is v useful for ikea trips. The boot is enormous too.

jubilucket Sun 10-Jun-12 01:33:14

I'd get a newer Espace. Don't go near the Toyota Previa, I have never driven anything that was thirstier.
I love my Scenic (petrol 03) it's the best car I've ever had.

sleepdodger Sun 10-Jun-12 01:35:48

Love my qashqai space is practical as 4x4 but running cost of car

designerbaby Sun 10-Jun-12 15:35:48

I loved the SMax too, but it did seem HUGE to drive around day-to-day/park etc... Will take it for a test drive next week and see if it feels as big as it looks though.

We've had a scenic and a citroen as our last 2 cars, and having totted up the repair bills we'll probably steer well clear of French cars from here on shock.

Even the mechanic at our Renault garage said, in confidence, that he'd NEVER buy a French car but would go for a Japanese car or a Ford. He also advised against VWs... We know this guy pretty well because he's been doing all our (many, many) repairs for the last 4 years, so would take his advice on board...

That said if we liked a VW and the price was competitive we wouldn't rule it out... Especially if there was good warranty!

I think we're well and truly sworn off all French cars though - I've had to be rescued by the RAC too many times...!!

Very interested in the Qashqai as love the way it looks, but have heard its smaller inside than it ought to be? Are there 3 full seats across the back? What is the boot space like when the additional seats are up?

We're hoping to hang on to this next car for 10 years or so, so don't want to outgrow it...

Thanks for help...
db
xx

ScoobyDooWhereAreYou Sun 10-Jun-12 15:54:03

Love our Qashqai+2. Can get an adult sat in the middle seat with a car seat either side. The two pop up seats in the boot don't offer much leg room so better left for kids or short journeys. When both pop up seats are up you can just about get an umbrella buggy in the back with a big beach bag and picnic on top. It's great being able to use those extra seats independently as we often have 6 people in which still leaves us with plenty of boot space. And it's really nice to drive, doesn't feel too big at all, is significantly shorter than our previous estate car and doesn't look like a people carrier which was a bonus for me.

SoupDragon Sun 10-Jun-12 16:01:47

Love my SMax. I've not found it too big at all.

The boot is cavernous, the middle row of seats are all full seats and all move independently of each other which is good for seatbelt access when child carseats are in use.

Seats pop up and down really easily too.

SoupDragon Sun 10-Jun-12 16:02:08

My last car was a Renault Laguna and I would never touch Renault again.

SocksOnFire Sun 10-Jun-12 16:04:49

Chrysler Grand Voyager - we've never looked back

blooblies Mon 11-Jun-12 14:37:43

We've just been through this and got an S-max. The Touran's boot was just too wee for our needs. The S-max was next best before getting into Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra territory. And I do like the independently moving seats, and the fact that seats are fold-down instead of removable (have precious little storage in our garage).

jkklpu Mon 11-Jun-12 14:41:27

Friends bought brand-new S-max last summer and it was a disaster. Clutch burned out within a couple of months, despite car being taken to Ford garage for checks because of burning smell. Terrible customer service and then the news that the clutch isn't covered under the guarantee, so friends had to pay for new one, which started smelling within a week. Lots and lots of wrangling with head office and finally they're on 3rd clutch but hardly drive it because they're scared it will break down suddenly.

SoupDragon Mon 11-Jun-12 14:45:51

The customer service I had from my local Ford has been great - there were 2 occasions mine had to go back in under warranty. Both times they sorted me out a courtesy car from a hire firm even though the dealership ones were fully booked.

It must depend on the dealer.

zzzzz Mon 11-Jun-12 14:52:53

Chrysler grand voyager.

Love our Touran - you dont feel like you are driving a bus but there is plenty of room for everyone. We also have a friend with a Mazda 5 which is lovely. The middle seat is a bit smaller but it handily folds away for when you only have 2 children in back and it lets you have access to seats in back when they are up.

SirEdmundFrillary Mon 11-Jun-12 14:56:03

Fiat Multipla? they're known as ugly-bugs, I understand. They do look odd but have a lot of room without the hugeness of some things.

kilmuir Mon 11-Jun-12 14:58:29

Love our sMax

Babylon1 Mon 11-Jun-12 14:59:13

VW Touran all the way. We've had ours for 4 years now and can't see us ever having different.

Ours is a 53 plate and still drives like a new car despite having done over 100k miles.

It's economical, spacious and just a lovely car really. We've easily gone from 2 carseats to 3 without putting extra seats up in the boot ( an option you don't get with a lot of 7 seaters - seats are either in or not, ours fold down flat into boot and will easily and comfortably take adults).

Only thing I would say is to avoid VW dealerships and buy from either private or other garage. Really cannot fault ours though grin

Dukandoit Mon 11-Jun-12 15:15:18

We went from a Renault Scenic to a Mazda 5. I'm very happy with it. Very similar width to scenic but with two easy to pull up full sized seats in the back. Carries large numbers of teenage boys with golf clubs and cricket bags with ease and they fight to be the one to sit at the back!!
Very reasonably priced and having had Mazdas in the past they run and run.

designerbaby Mon 11-Jun-12 15:25:00

This all makes really interesting reading... There are quite a few options, looks like we're going to be spending done time in dealerships in the next few weeks trying stuff out.

I just parked next to a Honda FRV (I think) it looks like it ought to be a 7 sweater but it had blacked our rear windows, so I couldn't tell... Is it? Liked the look of it...

The Chrysler seems ££££... Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks for all the feedback. I honestly can't wait to get a new car. If the reverse gear drops out ONE MORE TIME I swear I'm going to go postal... So that'll be in about an hour when I try and reverse out of a parking space. It NEVER takes fewer that three goes to actually get it to stay in reverse.angry

I loved the scenic when we first got it (passed on to us from a friend) but over time all the little niggles and all the time spent in the garage for stupid-yet-critical faults are making me hate it. I think it's a real good idea, and lots of things are well thought out, but it's just really badly made, and that almost makes me more cross than if it was crap in all respects...

db
Xx

blooblies Mon 11-Jun-12 15:43:14

We saw an FRV. It is a 6-seater - the extra seat is in the front. The gear stick is in the dash, the front floor is flat and the middle seat folds down to a central console if not needed. Lots of space to access kids in the back if needed, but not a great boot size.

zzzzz Mon 11-Jun-12 16:12:07

Chrysler is absolutely brilliant. Back seats fold in automatically, side doors and boot automatic, serious climate control, 2 screens so 2 videos going simultaneously, big boot, rear view vid for reverse, blue tooth,.....grin

Ours is about 3 months old and still a dream. Real customer service.

Only slight worry is we might all grow to fit the ample American size seats!

Oh and they hold their value too.

zzzzz Mon 11-Jun-12 16:56:02

Slightly shock and blush at my enthusiasm....perhaps it is not just my butt taking on an American feel.

SocksOnFire Mon 11-Jun-12 20:31:07

Not just you zzzzz, I think all of us chrysler owners become evangelical about how bloody amazing they are!

ChippyMinton Mon 11-Jun-12 20:34:38

i like my S-Max because it's not an obvious 7-seater and therefore folk don't assume you will give them or their DC lifts/take stuff to the dump/take them to Ikea etc.

I also like it because it's a great car to drive, but get one with parking sensors as it's hard to judge the rear end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now