Vauxhall Zafira, good or bad cars?

(36 Posts)
TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 16:17:36

Hi I currently have a Rover 45 which has cost me alot in repairs, it is due to go in for its second head gasket in 2 years!

I want a bigger car, need 7 seats and I believe I wouldnt find the Zafira too big to park.
Can anyone tell me if the car is any good or is it going to break the bank in repairs like my Rover?
I have been looking on Autotrader and the seem rather cheap which has made me worry
Thanks Ty grin

NorthernSky Sun 06-Mar-11 16:46:03

Message deleted

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 16:49:46

Thanks NorthernSky
I will have to look into the safety of the back seats as I have heard that too. Maybe I should be looking at a Multipla instead for safety reasons but the back seats will only be used on rare occasions when my mum wants to go out aswell as my family.
It is nice hearing you have had 2 reliable Zafira's

chocoholic Sun 06-Mar-11 16:50:02

I had one and it was awful. Just one thing after the next going wrong with it.

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 16:51:13

Oh Chocoholic, that sounds like my Rover,

rightpissedoff Sun 06-Mar-11 16:55:36

We've had two and no problems. I am puzzled when I hear of endless problems with Zafira's, but I know those reports are out there, because we had a look at other forums. I don't know who's been lucky and who's been unlucky!

rightpissedoff Sun 06-Mar-11 16:56:55

Also I think for the price, they're pretty good. We had a 2nd hand motability one ie three yrs old but only about 10,000 on the clock, for about 7,000. Which isn't bad for what's turned out to be a reliable, reasonably economical, seven seater.

scrappydappydoo Sun 06-Mar-11 16:58:14

We've had two zafiras - current one is 5 years old. They don't feel like a big car to drive or park which is why I liked them. The boot space is also fantastic. We are about to change and will not get another one reasons:
- 5 years down the line things are starting to go wrong and its getting expensive to fix
- Its not really a 7 seater - the two back seats are suitable for children only and are not included in the safety crash test - there was a programme on a couple of years ago - I think it was fifth gear who did crash test the two rear seats in this and similar cars and the results were horrific. We now do not use those seats at all. Please note this wasn't just the zafira but was about the type of seats that fold down in the boot. If you need a 7 seater everyday get a proper one not one with fold down seats
- It is quite narrow and difficult to get 3 car seats along the second row (not impossible though)
We want a car that has 3 isofix car seats as we're about to start ttc no. 3

Sorry to sound negative but I think there are better 7 seaters out there - I've heard nothing but good things about the ford s-max..

scrappydappydoo Sun 06-Mar-11 16:59:53

and in the time it took me to post that complete with little peope interuptions - I have x-posted with several people grin

deemented Sun 06-Mar-11 17:02:46

Bad.

I had a brand spanking new zafira and it broke down before i even left the dealers. Constant problems with the electrics.

Wouldn't touch them again.

Multiplas are fab though!

BiggestSchmoozer Sun 06-Mar-11 17:02:58

I have one. Running wise it's fine. I have seen a scary video on youtube about the boot-seats which has put me off using them apart from on the odd occasion. It also has a whopping blind spot on the front windscreen so that you need to lean forward to check the traffic when coming up to a roundabout etc - I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it, anyone I know who has one complains about it!
They are utterly crap in the snow.
TBH I wouldn't have another one but I am (despite the gripes) happy with mine. It manoeuvres well and is easy to park and the boot space is great.
HTH.

rightpissedoff Sun 06-Mar-11 17:08:51

Gosh -- no idea about the back seats. Hardly ever use them -- will make sure adults use them rather than kids in future, even though they aren't big enough really.

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 17:10:40

Wow thank you everybody for your honesty. I will not be getting a Zafira now due to the back seats. It is not worth putting my family in jeopardy.
I will be looking at Multipla's.
Thanks Tyson

gooseberrybushes Sun 06-Mar-11 17:14:49

test

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 17:19:20

OMG have just looked at the fifth gear crash test on youtube. Bloody awful why would they be allowed to sell them?

BiggestSchmoozer Sun 06-Mar-11 17:23:26

yy it is horrifying. We specifically bought the Zafira because it came out really well on all the safety tests. We didn't realise at the time the tests didn't apply to those seats too shock angry

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 17:27:31

It is maddening. No safer than having two people in the back of a van really!

cybilliberty Sun 06-Mar-11 17:28:19

Oh I LOVED my Zafira. It was so good on Motorways (not so great pootling round town)

cat64 Sun 06-Mar-11 18:12:23

Message withdrawn

TheHouseofMirth Sun 06-Mar-11 21:03:03

I've been looking at these but apparently you can't disable the front airbag, which is no good for us as DS1 gets car sick and needs to sit up front. I've just found some info on safety of children in mpvs and will post it on another thread.

TysonNobdie86 Sun 06-Mar-11 21:04:16

Excellent thanks Mirth

gordoon Wed 04-Jul-12 19:24:14

Ny Daughter unfortunatley bought a diesel zafira she was going down the road and suddenly lost control of the engine and of she went hurtling down the road at full revs the road behind covered in smoke turning off the ignition made no difference when she finaly got it stopped there was so much smoke some local called the fire brigade the fireman told her she was lucky it did not catch fire,The long and short of it is that vauxhall were no help engine destroyed this in a car that has less tha 19000 miles on the clock i would never !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 even look at a vauxhall again.

fortyplus Wed 04-Jul-12 19:31:27

We had one from new that we kept for 4 years and 55,000 miles. Absolutely no problems for the first 3 years 9 months and then horrendous ones and massive bills. Luckily for us it was a company car.

I believe that all modern diesels can be a problem if mainly used for short journeys - the diesel particulate filter clogs up. Ours also had to have a new turbo after the seals went. We don't thrash our cars.

hazeldog Thu 19-Jul-12 10:38:24

Vauxhall tend to suffer from poor build quality. The engines burn a ton of oil and you are likely to have the same sort of top end trouble as the old rovers. That said if your budget is tight you could do worse than a zafira but its definitely the cheap and cheerful 7 sweater.

baileys2015 Thu 10-Dec-15 07:15:38

I'm getting a brand new Vauxhall Zafira tourer on Fri via motability. I went for it due to the boot space as they are puting a boot hoist in for my scooter. I did originally want the mareva but the Zafira I felt was going to be better for me.I wasn't too keen at first as had heard about some Zafira's bursting into flames... I have been told this was on certain older models (not tourers think it was B types) whereby ppl were buying replacement cheap parts on eBay and getting a back street garage to fit the often already faulty part... Instead of take it to Vauxhall to be repaired which I was told would have been about £100 then the cars were ok ....I don't have any info about performance or anything yet as not had one before but just thought would share what I know. (The faulty part was a resistor on the fan ) hope this helps + I can write back from time to time to give my view on how I'm finding it X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now