Carseat in front middle seat of fiat multipla?

(14 Posts)

Is it safe?

nipplesofthenorth Mon 31-Jan-11 11:44:47

I wouldn't have thought so if you have an airbag. Also think it would restict drivers movement a bit (I have a 58 reg Multipla).

arghh the whole paoint was to fit the 4 kids in!!
no point if a carseat cant go in it!

mylifewithstrangers Mon 31-Jan-11 12:01:53

This site claims it is possible. Are you thinking a rear-facing one or a booster type?

mummytime Mon 31-Jan-11 12:03:32

In the Honda FRV, the middle seat moves back (as does the middle one on the back row) so as to minimise the affect of airbags, which are infront of the driver and left side passenger. This is to make it safe, I don't know what the Multipla does.

throckenholt Mon 31-Jan-11 12:03:42

It would depend if you can turn off the airbag I would think. Same as for the normal front passenger seat.

I personally prefer not to have any kids in the front seats, even with the air bag turned off.

The other alternative is the traditional MPV - galaxy et al. Or if it is an occasional 4 kids at the same time then a VW touran or a zafira.

apparantly you just have to switch the airbag off?

we were planning to have the 6,4 and 2 year olds in the back and new baby in the middlw with us, so maxi-cosi cabrio rearfacing seat.

throken the 6 seater is because of first time driver insurance, we are trying to bring costs down to a point we can afford to drive!

throckenholt Mon 31-Jan-11 12:11:48

I hadn't realised there was much insurance differential between a multipla and other mpvs - they are likely to fit in the same demographic (ie not attract boy racers) and have a similar insurance risk.

But I am willing to accept I know nothing about it

Hope you can solve your problem.

SoundTheOctoalert Mon 31-Jan-11 12:17:48

Can't help with advice about Multipla, but you need to think ahead too - the baby will be in a big front facing seat in about a year, takes up loads of room. Maybe be better with your 6 year old on a booster in the front? I'd be happier with the baby in the back myself, but no real reason why!

mummytime Mon 31-Jan-11 14:45:47

I'm not sure you can put a rear facing seat in the front of an FRV either.

sallybenson Thu 13-Feb-14 14:36:29

How do you switch off the airbag?

jaik Thu 13-Feb-14 23:51:10

use the ignition key in the passenger glove box.

lemontwist Thu 13-Feb-14 23:53:56

If a child in a front facing seat is in the front the airbag wouldn't need switching off, so can baby go in back and one of the others in front?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now