Car seat in back (third) row of 7 seater/MPV

(9 Posts)
ThisIsYourSong Wed 26-Jan-11 08:50:40

Does anyone know the rules relating to having car seats in the back (third) row of MPVs? We're looking at a Mazda MPV and the Maxi-Cosi fitting guide doesn't recommend fitting any carseats in the back row (or of any of the other 7 seaters/MPVs that I can see).

Is this a hard and fast rule? Are there other carseats that DO fit in the back row of MPVs?

We need to get three car seats in the back and are in New Zealand so can't go for any of the European cars recommended on here that fit three seats across the back.

Thanks

There are know rules but I have had three mpv zafira , grand c4 and a grand renult scenic. It is to do with were the belts come from in the back. I can't remember which seats did go in. We did hire a mazda 5 (I think thats what it was) and our maxi cosi tobi did'nt go in.

My friend took one of these back with her to nz and as long as the belts are long enough (sit in the seat yourself and see if you can pull the diagnal belt down by the lap belt with you in it.

Or this one from the US. It is designed to be able to fit three across the average family car.

Where are you in New Zealand as there may be lots of mums with European carsets as they are legal there.

ThisIsYourSong Wed 26-Jan-11 14:19:37

We've just arrived back in Wellington from London - so we already have Maxi-Cosi carseats. Its just a bit confusing whether you can use any carseats in the back row safely or not.

We'll try our seats in the car we're looking at buying tomorrow (Mazda MPV).

thanks for your reply

If they fit and don't move they will be fine it's just that they don't have time to test every seat in all the seat in all the cars

ThisIsYourSong Wed 26-Jan-11 19:40:15

Excellent! Thanks.

magnolia74 Wed 26-Jan-11 19:44:06

We have a renault espace and forward facing car seats fit fine and safetly in the rear seats. Rear facing also fit fine but I would always have an adult in the seat next to it as its so far back smile

gmotdot Wed 06-Feb-13 20:27:34

I know this thread is over 2 years old now, but, if the OP is still about: Did you end up getting the MPV? What did you do with the car seats? We have an MPV now, a toddler (2 1/2) and twins on the way... trying to sort out how things are going to work out in the car when three happens!

gmotdot Wed 06-Feb-13 20:29:00

(We are also in New Zealand, moved here from Canada and having previously lived in London.)

WMittens Thu 07-Feb-13 09:11:28

Its just a bit confusing whether you can use any carseats in the back row safely or not.

I would suggest everyone considering this looks at crash tests of MPVs to see just how safe the rear of the vehicle is for the occupants, child seat or no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now